Notices

Panicking now

Old 11-02-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panicking now

I'm sorry to keep asking but I've been on and off the loo with black pooh since I've been withdrawing, is this normal? I'm just waiting on doctor calling me back! Also is it dangerous to just stop drinking ?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Depending on how much and often you were drinking, yes it can be dangerous to quit. I'm glad you are calling your doctor.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

2 bottles of wine a night couple of days would be less
Old 11-02-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We're not allowed to diagnose you here, it's against the rules. See a Doctor.

I will offer this much, Black stool is often a symptom of ulceric activity which may be present anywhere from your esophagus to your stomach and into your intestines and colon. Why not go to the ER and have them figure it out for you?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would see the doctor.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

see the doctor and also notice if there is an aroma.....
Old 11-02-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello dont panic i had this it is a safe option to detox at a hospital as you will get the best treatment

Speak with your doctor and follow his/her advice

Really nice to meet you
Old 11-02-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sapphire1981 View Post
I'm sorry to keep asking but I've been on and off the loo with black pooh since I've been withdrawing, is this normal? I'm just waiting on doctor calling me back! Also is it dangerous to just stop drinking ?
Wouldn't be red wine you were drinking by any chance? I scared myself stupid once over red wine and symptoms you described x
Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys I went to doctors had thiamine and b12 drip.....and give chlorodoazepoxide.....I had liver function tests which came back good! I just need to get in with my gp in morning :-( x
Old 11-02-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chiffon View Post
Wouldn't be red wine you were drinking by any chance? I scared myself stupid once over red wine and symptoms you described x

OMG yes it was red wine!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Also is it dangerous to just stop drinking ?
I'm glad you went to the doctor, so it's moot in your case, but it absolutely is dangerous to just stop drinking!!! I saw a guy die when I was being detoxed. While the risk of narcotics and opiates is from overdose while using, the withdrawals won't kill you (although you probably feel like you're dying). Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawals are the only drug withdrawals from which you can die. Detoxing from alcohol by yourself can be taking your life in your own hands.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberAlky View Post
I'm glad you went to the doctor, so it's moot in your case, but it absolutely is dangerous to just stop drinking!!! I saw a guy die when I was being detoxed. While the risk of narcotics and opiates is from overdose while using, the withdrawals won't kill you (although you probably feel like you're dying). Alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawals are the only drug withdrawals from which you can die. Detoxing from alcohol by yourself can be taking your life in your own hands.

Do you think tho now I have these meds I be ok I'm hoping so ? Although I feel dreadful still if I'm honest
Old 11-02-2014, 04:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Since the doctor gave you Librax (the chlorodoazepoxide), you should be ok. The reason they gave you that drug is to prevent seizures from coming on, but use them sparingly. Librax is a benzodiazepine and benzos affect the brain just like alcohol, and you don't want to end up trading one addiction for another. I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice, but if I were you, I would follow the doctor's instructions exactly as printed on the bottle.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Give the meds a chance to work Sapphire, but if you're still concerned in a few days maybe go back to your doc?

D
Old 11-02-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good luck sapphire . Alcohol is dangerous. I'm relieved you went to the doctor. Be well
Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone This is my first 24 hours done without a drink, woke up sweating (I've hardly slept anyway) sweat had a slightly chemical smell as well as urine I'm hoping this is my body getting all the bad stuff out been drinking loads of water to avoid dehydration! I'm never ever going back to a drink (ever) having liver function tests was enough to really frighten me into thinking what if I wasn't here what would my two boys do without me? Worst thing is I got this way over a man...obviously I made choice as an adult to drink but I genuinely feel it started as a coping mechanism in a bad relationship and spiralled out of control! I just want to say to anyone going through same thing to be strong the withdrawal is shockingly bad, and to stick with it....best thing I did was go hospital tonight and I'm going to reach out for some counselling to see if that will help me! :-) thanks guys
Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberAlky View Post
Since the doctor gave you Librax (the chlorodoazepoxide), you should be ok. The reason they gave you that drug is to prevent seizures from coming on, but use them sparingly. Librax is a benzodiazepine and benzos affect the brain just like alcohol, and you don't want to end up trading one addiction for another. I'm not a doctor and this is not medical advice, but if I were you, I would follow the doctor's instructions exactly as printed on the bottle.

Thank you soberalky, I was only given enough for this evening and adviced to seek medical help from my doctor in the morning so will see what he says, I would like to see if I could try do it without anything but i don't want to feel even worse! I'm worried once this tablet wears off withdrawal will continue with avegence, I hope not.....I was told it would make me sleep tonight and it hasn't so by time morning comes I will of been up nearly 48 hours just drifting into sleep etc! Hope you are well? :-)
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was told it would make me sleep tonight and it hasn't so by time morning comes I will of been up nearly 48 hours just drifting into sleep etc!
Hi Sapphire, the sleeplessness unfortunately comes with withdrawal. When I went to detox, they knocked me out with large doses of valium, but I don't think any responsible doctor would give out those quantities of any benzo in an outpatient situation such as yours.

Once, coming out of a bender, without any medication, I was up close to 80 hours continuously. I drove between my two houses in Florida and Vermont nonstop (it's about a 22 hour drive). That was an extreme case, though.

Originally Posted by sapphire1981
Hope you are well? :-)
Thanks for asking! I sought help from an addiction psychiatrist who put me on a pretty aggressive cocktail of meds. While I still struggle with the psychological component of drinking, the physical compulsions are no longer there. I have about 4 months, but I don't count days anymore - it's gotten me in trouble in the past.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

i think going to your doctor is the best thing. can't give medical advice on this site

black stools can be a not good sign. but sort of common knowledge that can be a sign of blood in your digestive system.