Notices

Health complications

Old 11-01-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health complications

Sorry I didn't see a forum for this. Not sure it's the right place or not but one thing that got me coming here was I feel like I'm developing complications

The biggest and most noticeable has been heart burn and digestion issues. Lots of acid reflux and belching. That ones obvious.

Less obvious has been what seems to be some minor nerve pain. Anyone experience this?? As well as minor twitches that seem to come and go.

Also, my vision has taken a dive in the past 5 years that I've been drinking as well as a notice difference in the romance department...if you follow me. (Really hate to admit that one but might as well be honest)
Then again, I just hit 41 and some of these things could be about age.

Just wanted to see if anyone could relate because it's getting me a bit concerned.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol can affect all of those things, my digestive system was in pieces before I quit!!

The body is not invincible, but given the chance it may be able to heal!!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

All those things could be caused by drinking, but they also have other potential causes. The only way you can find out for certain is to see your doctor and be honest about your drinking. I had lots of GI issues from my drinking and also an anxiety/panic attacks as a direct result. Almost all of them got better after some sober time for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ox, my acid reflux went away when I quit drinking beer. and my eye sight started going away around 40.

Acid could be from food. how long since your last drink?
Old 11-01-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't stopped yet.

I noticed the acid reflux started when I, not only drank at night but started drinking in the day as well. Lots and lots of wine. Lol

I read that alcohol abuse can effect vision. I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I guess no one has had any neurological stuff? Makes me paranoid I have MS or something but I read about that and the odds of that are something like 1 in one hundred million. So it's more likely to be the 1.5 bottles of wine I average every day. lol
Old 11-01-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would think when you quit drinking the acid reflux will go away, it did for me. when I drank, I had all kind of medical problems. I thought I had this and that. had x-rays and all kind of tests. for me it was all in my head, due to alcohol.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well I know the particular symptoms I have are real. The are relatively minor (at least for now??) but the things that pass through my mind...yes....I can relate to the "maybe I have this and that".

I'm glad to know the digestion issues can be resolved. It's never been much of an issue.

Edit to add: never before until recently. lol
Old 11-01-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hope things work out. "sober and healthy"
Old 11-01-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can only speak from my own experience. When I quit drinking most of my ailments gradually went away:

-heartburn
-insomnia
-itchy, dry skin
-gas and bloating
-fatique
-severe mood swings
-bloodshot eyes
-high blood pressure
-high cholesterol
-high liver enzymes
-nosebleeds

Try not drinking for a month to see what happens.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

paloverde I had all of that, except nosebleeds

also, thanks for showing me how to do a real post.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

i drank myself to the point doctors were scared i had wet brain and were doing CT scans

vomiting blood replaced acid and it was like that for at 3 years

I should died in that fire

Yes alcohol causes acid and a lot more problems its a killer

I made a full complete recovery i am ten times the man i was then im nearly 16 months sober and i still hate what alcohol does to good people

The liver and digestion will heal
Old 11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hope you make the decision to quit soon, life becomes so much less complicated at least health wise. All that worrying everybody does when they are still actively pursuing a relationship with alcohol. Cut the relationship out of your life and you will see how better it gets.

In regards to your questions, everything you mentioned could be caused by the drinking and the best way to find out is abstinence.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Failing eyesight was one of the biggies for me. Not to mention the itching, muscle spasms, etc.. I'm not invincible. Most symptoms have subsided at 4+ months but the memory is still very fresh. Best wishes on getting the plug in the jug soon-You won't regret it.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
i drank myself to the point doctors were scared i had wet brain and were doing CT scans

vomiting blood replaced acid and it was like that for at 3 years

I should died in that fire

Yes alcohol causes acid and a lot more problems its a killer

I made a full complete recovery i am ten times the man i was then im nearly 16 months sober and i still hate what alcohol does to good people

The liver and digestion will heal
Thanks for posting that one soberwolf. I really did need to read that today
Old 11-01-2014, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Less obvious has been what seems to be some minor nerve pain.
I had an incident due to alcohol affecting a nerve in my leg. It was not pain, however part of my leg was numb and gave out three times in one day, causing me to fall. It felt as though my leg was asleep. The initial doc wanted to admit me, but I refused like an idiot.

I had to see a neurologist, who later said that he feels it was due to heavy alcohol consumption from the night before. The doctor explained how alcohol can affect any of the nerves, including the larger ones. He also mentioned how many people will get the twitching in some of the smaller nerves after heavy drinking, and used the fluttering eyelids as an example.

It was better within three days, but it was an eye opener for me.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

The earlier you stop drinking the better your chances of walking away with no permanent health conditions.

I kept drinking and suffered a series of mini strokes - I'm doing fine but Ill never be the same again, and I have to live with that.

D
Old 11-01-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The nerve pain in my legs, feet and hands plus the muscle spasms is what really scared me into knowing I had to quit. I've amped up the B vitamins inc thiamine. Plus magnesium and Lots and Lots of water. If my urine isn't clear, I drink more water. I can already feel relief from spasms. I think the nerve thing will need more time to heal. Oh- and I take long baths with sea salt which is full of minerals that absorb thru the skin. That relaxes my muscles esp before bed.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My digestive tract was a mess when I quit and after nearly two months of sobriety it's so much better.
I won't lie, I sure do miss drinking sometimes. ..in fact, there's some bourbon just outside my tent, but all I have to do is remember what I felt like when I finally stopped drinking and the alcohol don't sound good anymore.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paloverde View Post
I can only speak from my own experience. When I quit drinking most of my ailments gradually went away:

-heartburn
-insomnia
-itchy, dry skin
-gas and bloating
-fatique
-severe mood swings
-bloodshot eyes
-high blood pressure
-high cholesterol
-high liver enzymes
-nosebleeds

Try not drinking for a month to see what happens.
I had all of the health problems that are listed above. Every single one on a daily basis. When I stopped drinking they all went away. I read something online a while ago that sounds obvious but it clicked in my head. To figure out why something is wrong with your health you need to eliminate possible causes.

Stop drinking and I can almost guarantee they will go away. If you continue drinking they will get worse. That was my experience.

I tried for years to change habits, what I ate, exercise, more sleep, but they all continued and got worse because I refused to give up drinking.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My dad aged 59 has alcoholic dementia and type 2 diabetes caused by his drinking.