Notices

AA and employed at Jail (advice)

Old 10-07-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

I work at a Jail near where I live and near where I attend AA meetings. My job is as a Corrections Officer (Jail Guard). I have not been to a meeting in 4 months because I fear a inmate (past/present/future) will see me and recognize me as a CO. My employer does not know I am a Alcoholic in sober recovery 5+ years and I would prefer to keep it that way. My main worry is the following: I am obligated per my employer to report all contact outside of work with inmates. If a inmate sees me s/he may use that against me later by either telling other inmates Im a alcoholic and/or trying to use it against me trying to blackmail me into them not telling others I am a alcoholic... Also, I worry my employer may find out I had outside contact with a inmate and they will ask me where I saw the inmate... (uhhhh... At an AA meeting oh and by the way Captain, I am an alcoholic). If you cant give advice from a law enforcement perspective then try to imagine what some inmates might do/think if they see me at a AA meeting... Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ryan

I understand that some might use that against you...although clearly you have been to meetings there in the past and it hasn't happened yet?

The obvious solution, to me, seems to be to go to other meetings - outside the jail?

D
Old 10-07-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a retired correctional officer. TDCJ I know where you are coming from. I would find a meeting from the job site. Inmates will use any and all information. Work is not allowed to hold it against you, but they will. I would not attend a meeting near where I worked. Is there another town near by that you can go to. I only come here, and I do value my private life. I run into released convicts from time to time, and it in not comfortable for me. Good luck. They do have aa meetings online and we have meetings here on Tuesday and Friday. I only go to meeting here online. I try to keep my private life private. Just my thoughts.