Notices

Coping with your AV

Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coping with your AV

What are some of the things you do to help you cope with your AV? I have been having a tough time lately. My AV keeps trying to lead me into temptation. I actually came quite close to drinking a couple of times as a result of it. I was so angry with myself the other night because I wasn't drinking.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I crank up some music that I find some personal meaning! I tell myself it lies, always. I don't necessarily try to suppress it (I find the more you struggle or try to avoid it, the worse it can become). I often tell myself not to buy into the thought/AV, that my thoughts/AV are not always right or true, and I can decide to do differently if I want.

It isn't easy though. Yesterday late afternoon was pretty rough for me.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Long walks in the fresh air, sitting alone inside with my thoughts drives me up the wall, so I go get outside and walk it all out!!

Your mind will ease with time, but I guess figuring out what you were angry about might be helpful, what is it that your mind was telling you that you were missing out on? to make you angry? and maybe challenging that myth/fairytale may make it easier the next time!!

Hang in there, it gets easier!!
Old 09-24-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Personally, I'm a bit of a joker. When my AV comes up with a particularly sensible suggestion, I exaggerate it till the point that I laugh. Or at least smile :=]
Old 09-24-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to keep a log of whenever my AV would act up (AKA urges). What time it was, how long it lasted, what I was doing/ thinking and what I did to overcome it. It took some power away from the AV and also showed me that my urges don't last forever.

I also try to remind myself that it's just my AV talking. NOT me. I decided that I wanted to stop drinking. My AV is that part of my brain that didn't get the memo and still thinks it needs a drink. I remind myself that I will never drink again and I will never change my mind.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If you can identify and recognize your AV as all thoughts about drinking, INCLUDING the thoughts around failing to stay sober, you are a huge part of the way there. Dismiss them all, not even worth a struggle.

Once I realized that I would always prevail against my AV, the struggle disappeared. The thoughts could come and the AV do its worst, but I would never (and could never) act on those thoughts. You are 'The Boss of You', in every respect. Not only do you control your actions, you control which thoughts you engage emotionally. These AV thoughts can be recognized and examined without judging them or engaging them.

So, back to your question, GoT. How best to struggle with AV? My answer is don't. You don't NEED to do anything. If you leave it alone and do nothing more than just stare at it, it will go away and you can get back to whatever it was you were doing. It's pretty pitiful after all.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am getting better at recognizing my AV when it creeps up, and it has been my experience that just recognizing it causes it to vaporize into the ethersphere... At least that's how I imagine it...
Old 09-24-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My AV tries to keep up with me...epic fail.

I work out, alot. I reach out to my supports, I come here.

Sometimes I personify my AV. It ends up being my ex, who was somewhat of an enabler. I guess I could make it anyone who I really wouldn't listen to in real life. That's my quirky mind