Notices

A different topic, maybe. Prohibition.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
LOL something less than a working class hero tho

D
Oh I dunno, I think the work you put in here is heroic.

Tipping I'm not the only one who thinks that
Old 09-25-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The drive and desire to eliminate unwanted thoughts, feelings and behaviors, as well as the consequences that accrue from them, I think, is not only unrealistic, but does grievous violence to reality and, specifically, to the human condition.
I could not agree more with this. And I have no problem, once again, extending it to many non-human species as well. "Extinguishing powerful impulses" would have blocked the evolution of life and the maintenance of most species at the seed level. I am a biologist so many associations regarding this area come to my mind from biology (but of course not only). The nervous system has evolved in a certain way as it serves the essential function of survival (eg. feeding) and reproduction. Amongst many other features, the impulses and instincts driving these basic functions obviously cannot be extinguished without putting an end to the individual or the lineage. And the fact that these things feel naturally "rewarding" serves the function of generating motivation to seek these basic needs and experiences. In the nervous system, it's basically the same mechanisms and pathways that regulate both these "beneficial" impulses, instincts, and needs - and the desire for feeling good in general, intoxication, seeking drugs, etc. And obviously both the natural rewards (eg. food or sex) and the chemicals that affect the same mechanisms, can lead to excess and addiction. Balance and moderation is never an easy task.

So, in a way, the fact that we can survive inevitably carries with it the potential for excess, destruction, and doom. In my opinion these are some of the reasons why the attempts to eliminate or overly control these desires are utterly unrealistic.

Yes, plenty of wonderful academic, cultural, artistic, etc works about this topic, I won't even list some because they are so abundant. Maybe another one from the film world I would mention is Darren Aronofsky's work. Pretty much everything he has created is about different forms of obsession, addictions, attempts to find a "way out" from these, etc.

As for the "way out" or "solution" - I think seeking this is also an essential part of the human experience, and a universal one. Think about all the different forms of religions and spirituality...

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
Trying to eliminate the intoxicants or shunnning those who get intoxicated is rather silly. I have seen videos of cougars eat plants laced with DMT. It is currently the most powerful hallucinagen known to man. They are known to do this on a regular basis. i don't think animals have moral or ethical reasons or barriers to why they would seek this or not...I conclude that really we don't either..it's just part of the human experience...natural in every way..
That whole DMT topic is interesting and could be a different discussion but maybe not for SR. Many animals love to eat stuff with intoxicating chemicals, especially if they get conditioned to it after a few trials.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

yes I'm aware that there are addiction gurus that use this substance DMT.. for people who feel they have addiction issues...Dmt gives you an ego loss experience..some would refer to as deeply spiritual. I believe such an experience is obtainable without chemicals..but I don't have any opinion on the substance..i do think the corporate hippie types are making something that is sacred to something trendy though...i don't think if such a technique is used to treat addiction or life in general that it should even be advertised..or made for monetary gain.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
How do you think we, as alcoholics would be different today if the 1920s Prohibition Act was still in effect? For countries other than the US, imagine alcohol is prohibited today.

How do you think your addiction would be any different, if at all?

For me, alcohol is a drug of convenience. Its everywhere, and not terribly expensive. However, I wonder if the substance, just being illegal and more inconvenient to get would have been enough to avoid it. "Cunning, baffling and powerful" may have applied more.

Thoughts?

Bunnez
Well today I don't drink, so it doesn't matter. However, 4-5 months back I am certain I'd be drinking Blue Ruin = bathtub gin.

Booze was readily available in the US during prohibition - very few barriers. Just ask the Kennedy clan - Seagrams. It's how they made their fortune......Many, many places to get booze and readily accepted. What we have learned and are still wrapping our heads around is you cannot and never will legislate morality.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
i don't think if such a technique is used to treat addiction or life in general that it should even be advertised..or made for monetary gain.
Well, there is also the tourism associated with this. Resorts in countries where DMT is legal, attracting people in an organized way to participate in "traditional ceremonies" for healing, spiritual awakening, etc. There will always be some that try to use these kinds of substances and ideas for financial gain, yet another part of human nature.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Have you ever heard the late comedian Bill Hicks talk about his mushroom experiences??
Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Have you ever heard the late comedian Bill Hicks talk about his mushroom experiences??
“I'm glad mushrooms are against the law, because I took them one time, and you know what happened to me? I laid in a field of green grass for four hours going, "My God! I love everything." Yeah, now if that isn't a hazard to our country … how are we gonna justify arms dealing when we realize that we're all one?”
― Bill Hicks
Old 09-25-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Ha ha, that would be a yes then.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Well, there is also the tourism associated with this. Resorts in countries where DMT is legal, attracting people in an organized way to participate in "traditional ceremonies" for healing, spiritual awakening, etc. There will always be some that try to use these kinds of substances and ideas for financial gain, yet another part of human nature.
yes ..thats what I am talking about...Ive been to one of these countries.. They claim that these ayachucha retreats are to help the native community...

this i just a prejudice of mine..but i wish these types would stay far away from these native communities and stay in Manhattan or San Francisco if they want to open such a place...which they do too..even though it's illegal

If they want to go to the rain forest. go alone..with no agenda..tell your friends you are going to see machuu pichuu or something...don't bring the discovery channel network with you
Old 09-25-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I recommend the Ken Burns series on Prohibition.
Yes, an excellent, comprehensive review. I love the old photographs.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Here's a link to those video's. Ken Burns's Prohibition -- coming to PBS | Sneak Peek | PBS - YouTube