Notices

Does anyone know...

Old 07-24-2004, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Does anyone know...

Does anyone know the name of the drug that you can take that will make you sick if you drink? I remember it in the medicine cabinet when I was a kid, and remember my dad being very ill one time. I never hear about it anymore, is it bad for you? I feel desperate at this point. I appreciate any input on this. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Sherri,
I believe the drug is Antibuse.
I don't know if you've tried to quit drinking before or not but you don't have to do it alone. There's no need to feel fearful and desparate any more. Just go to an AA meeting and let the people there know who you are and what you're trying to do. AA has a program to work and in my experience, I've never seen anyone drink who was really trying hard to work the AA program. I met a whole bunch of new friends, people I could hang around with who had gone through what I was going through. I had all the help and support I needed and wanted around the clock.

JUst hand in there and do whatever you have to do to not drink. If that means taking antibuse for a while, then so be it. But the help is there if you want it.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

sherri,
Yes, it's Antabuse, generic name disulfiram. And by itself it's not really bad for you, but can be lethal when combined with alcohol, so it's not used much these days. Now Revia (generic name naltrexone) is given to alcoholics to reduce cravings. It seems to help me with that even though I actually take it for something else. But I agree with Music that you should check out AA. It's free, free of negative "side effects," and IT WORKS! Best wishes.
Love, Eddie