Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Ever been called an attention seeker for being an alcoholic

Notices

Ever been called an attention seeker for being an alcoholic

Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
I craved love and attention one on one though. I was always looking for that relationship. The "one". The one that was going to love me, save me, take care of things...the so called knight in shining armor but my expectations of what or how a relationship should be was not reality so they always ended and then I drank that away too.
I relate to this, too, but a little differently. The part about looking for one on one relationships (all kinds) definitely. What I've bolded: I actually had a series of experiences with a similar scenario except that I was on the other end of the construct. Running into people who idealized me far beyond realistic and who expected their life, their world to be changed by having a relationship with me. Or directly, expected me to change it actively. I did try to stand up to this role several times, but I think it's something inevitably doomed to fail. On both ends. It's not based in reality and on realistic expectations, it's fantasy land. Idealism is good, but with moderation
Old 09-22-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Even people I knew well in 3D, I did not want to talk with them in person, but via email. I think this was in part, on one hand, being trapped in my own mind and madness, and on the other hand a very pronounced insecurity and self-consciousness that blocked me from getting out of this and interacting normally, also from asking for help.
Or maybe a more basic reason is that when we're drunk or stoned, it's much simpler to pretend we're something more complex and enigmatic if we're not being physically observed. Doesn't mean we aren't complex and enigmatic, it just becomes apparent to even the dimmest observer when someone is physically too blotto to stand up straight!

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
what I've put in bold in the quote: most of my mates in these crazy fantasy exercises were people similarly ***ed up or otherwise unhappy, isolated, insecure.
Misery does love company, doesn't it?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
Or maybe a more basic reason is that when we're drunk or stoned, it's much simpler to pretend we're something more complex and enigmatic if we're not being physically observed. Doesn't mean we aren't complex and enigmatic, it just becomes apparent to even the dimmest observer when someone is physically too blotto to stand up straight!
Yes certainly it's a projected image, even if part of the image is realistic (eg. I think my drunken rambles reflected my mental world very well, they were not constructed but rather spontaneous and uncensored). I don't think it was pretense for me, I just (sometimes) hid the reason behind what the receiver might have perceived as "complex and enigmatic", and interesting (drunk). This is why, I think, I got the feedback from some of my old friends after I sobered up that I became boring and too normal, what's wrong with me. I don't think it has anything to do with complexity, more with being edgy or not that much. I prefer the "not that much".

Alright maybe enough, don't want to start a discussion on authenticity now