Notices

URGES PASS .... dont they????

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

URGES PASS .... dont they????

.... have to push through have to push through...... do I want to feel depressed? NO!! ... do I want to feel sad? NO!! ...do I want to feel worthless
NO!!........ so URGES PASS!!! and so I CAN push through everytime I get one!!!

So now I will go and have bowl of hot home made soup

...me hitting the urge !!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Julie

All cravings and urges will pass without fail. Keep yourself busy with other activities knowing that such urges will dissipate and you will not take any action on those urges ! Hang in there !
Old 09-16-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Without a doubt. Hold the line!
Old 09-16-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Julie

Yes, yes, yes, hang in there xxx
Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You can do it! Cute pups btw, they look like they like the beach a lot.
-Ted
Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone ..... I'm hanging in there ... is bewitching hour at the moment

4.30 pm..... but i'm doing alright...

And Ted ... my dogs would live at the beach if they could Ha Ha..
You little one looks pretty cute as well
Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

My friend Carol D timed hers at about 5-7 minutes...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Few months of 3 years stone cold sober and I can say YES the urges do pass .

Saturday just gone was at a restaurant in Kew London with family and friends , lots of drinking round me ,I just felt so uber comfortable in myself zero cravings zilch nada nothing ! My friend opposite me changed totally over the course of the evening due to alcoHELL , quite funny in a sad way . Coming out of the restaurant I felt high it was quite unreal , whispered to my wife thank F$)$$7$G god I do not have to drink anymore.

Face the urge and ride it out ,do not surrender ever or you are back in the rinse and repeat cycle of misery.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Few months of 3 years stone cold sober and I can say YES the urges do pass .

Saturday just gone was at a restaurant in Kew London with family and friends , lots of drinking round me ,I just felt so uber comfortable in myself zero cravings zilch nada nothing ! My friend opposite me changed totally over the course of the evening due to alcoHELL , quite funny in a sad way . Coming out of the restaurant I felt high it was quite unreal , whispered to my wife thank F$)$$7$G god I do not have to drink anymore.

Face the urge and ride it out ,do not surrender ever or you are back in the rinse and repeat cycle of misery.
Best thing ever is coming out of a restaurant or social event and being able to jump in your car and drive home, totally in charge of your own life!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julie59 View Post

so URGES PASS
Yes, they do. And I have found it to be best not to dwell on urges for long. For a man is what he thinks. If I entertain the thought I may act out. Best to flee ASAP.
MM
Old 09-17-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes. This to, shall pass!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Yes, they do xxx
Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The urge fades and dies in time.
I'm not boasting but offering hope that will help you through. I have not had an urge in many years.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

There was a breakthrough for me after a couple of weeks. My urges had been accompanied by this panicky feeling, if it doesn't pass, I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm just getting so anxious right now, oh no there's alcohol over there AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!1!!!1!

The breakthrough came when I finally got it that I had had these urges before and didn't drink, and that I would probably have them again, and I still wouldn't drink. All because I had decided already about the drinking thing. NEVER. After that, the anxiety part of the urges went away, and I could step aside and look at them remotely without getting all twisted around the axle. I could recognize the urge and watch it, but remain detached from it.

The urges started getting shorter and shorter to the point that when they come, they only last for a second or two. They are more of a memory now than anything else. 'Oh ya, I used to do that, what a mess I was then, never going back there that's for sure'. and that's it. Phhhhhhhhhhht.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
There was a breakthrough for me after a couple of weeks. My urges had been accompanied by this panicky feeling, if it doesn't pass, I don't know what I'm going to do, I'm just getting so anxious right now, oh no there's alcohol over there AAAAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!1!!!1!

The breakthrough came when I finally got it that I had had these urges before and didn't drink, and that I would probably have them again, and I still wouldn't drink. All because I had decided already about the drinking thing. NEVER. After that, the anxiety part of the urges went away, and I could step aside and look at them remotely without getting all twisted around the axle. I could recognize the urge and watch it, but remain detached from it.

The urges started getting shorter and shorter to the point that when they come, they only last for a second or two. They are more of a memory now than anything else. 'Oh ya, I used to do that, what a mess I was then, never going back there that's for sure'. and that's it. Phhhhhhhhhhht.
FS is correct. Biologically your brain is actually creating new neurotranmitter pathways over time, which will minimize the urges and the duration. Just never give into them and they will lessen with time and reduce the frequency. How you go about doing that is widely debated on here and in the recovery industry but the devil is not in the details in this case. Just don't give in and it will get easier.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

.... have to push through have to push through...... do I want to feel depressed? NO!! ... do I want to feel sad? NO!! ...do I want to feel worthless
NO!!........ so URGES PASS!!! and so I CAN push through everytime I get one!!!
yep the trick is to remember to say no when these crummy feelings come if you dont they can quickly get the best of you
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Julie - hang in there! You are doing the right thing posting about it. I had frequent and intense cravings almost daily in the first few months and some of them were very difficult to push through. They almost completely disappeared by the 4 month mark. I still have thoughts of drinking but nothing like those monster urges initially. From what I have seen, for some people the cravings are stronger and more frequent than others, but they definitely dissipate if we stay sober.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Your all giving me the inspiration to push through every craving or urge I have. I think I already know deep down they will dissipate the longer I stay stronger..... so that is it what I am trying to do..... at this stage one day at a time or one urge at a time... I'll keep coming back and re-reading all your posts and keep posting myself....
Old 09-17-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In the beginning, every time I fought craving there was new insight into my triggers. Identifying what I was thinking about, who I was with, where I was, helped me to avoid those triggers, or if I couldn't change them externally work on myself in those areas. It's growth, and while it might feel painful at times, know you're making progress!
Old 09-17-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on pushing through!!