Notices

Alcoholism

Old 09-04-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcoholism

Just wondering why it took me 3 months to get sober

The whole I can't do it mentality ...

What was it that I truly believed I wanted and needed from a bottle of vodka or any alcoholic drink for that matter ??

I can't remember why I wanted it so bad I remember wanting it tho and badly wanting it

So glad im sober
Old 09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think breaking that mindset is very important!!

Added to that for me was the idea that I was still clinging too, was that I could someday moderate and control my drinking, going round in circles testing that out wasted soo much time!!
Old 09-04-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post

What was it that I truly believed I wanted and needed from a bottle of vodka or any alcoholic drink for that matter ??

I can't remember why I wanted it so bad I remember wanting it tho and badly wanting it

So glad im sober
Because you made up lies in your head, you were physically dependant upon alcohol. You liked the way it made you feel, that numbness.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me, it was that I just wasn't completely ready to face life sober. I figured it would be utterly horrible to have to deal with things without my little fix. Turns out, I wouldn't dare give up my peace, contentment and newfound serenity for that artificial instant gratification that nearly wiped me out on so many levels.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
Because you made up lies in your head, you were physically dependant upon alcohol. You liked the way it made you feel, that numbness.

Sorry matt I forgot you knew me on a personal level to know that ..

Please don't assume I made lies up in my head your description of a time in my alcoholism was poor at best the only thing you were right about was the dependency all the rest you don't actually know and have taken a wild general swing I don't think you meant anything by it after all it is a forum for people to speak

Sorry matt don't mean to sound mean its just when someone I don't interact with often on this site just says yeah u were lying in ur head u like that numbness etc

Matt know me first read a few post interact a lil more before making a statement about me like that pls I say that friendly as a friend let's be friends lol
Old 09-04-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So why did you drink, knowing full well what happens. You are not unique, or maybe you are.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

obsession

OBSESS'ION, n. [L. obsessio.] The act of besieging; the first attack of Satan antecedent to possession. [Little used.]

:: Search the 1828 Noah Webster's Dictionary of the English Language (FREE) :: 1828.mshaffer.com

the old dictionaries are the best (before man messed things up)
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

So why did you drink, knowing full well what happens. You are not unique, or maybe you are.
How about this for a possible reason:

"The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few rare cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense."

This was my experience.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Matt who do you think you are talking like that you don't know me that's beyond disrespectful and rude take a moment

Matt I tried to tell you politely your making wild assumptions and the manner in which your speaking like asking me like that why did I drink knowing full well what happens how rude and obnoxious !

You seriously need to think before you type

Then you try to ridicule me by you suggesting I may consider myself unique like serious

You don't know me at all

And to think I tried to be the better person and actually sent a friend request I regret that now
Old 09-04-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MB8

Go easy sober wolf. I think all Matt is trying to say is all of us have similar reasons for drinking. Because we are alcoholics. I don't think there was any malice once so ever in his comment. If anything, I think he was attempting to explain why we, as alcoholics, do what we do.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I look back on my drinking days, im baffled by the how much I depended on alcohol. For the most part I could abstain monday through Thursday. I was building a successful business and raising kids. But come Friday evening, I had to have alcohol. I couldn't imagine going a weekend without it. I could face some of the toughest situations as a business owner, but I had to have alcohol in me to vist neighbors who had patio party's. I don't get it? I wasted so much time and energy drinking its rediculas.
Folks, were sober. Were living a life now. Our disease is in remission as long as we don't drink.
For me, im not dwelling on how I arrived here. Im moving forward and enjoying what god has given me. And thats a 2nd chance at living. Sobriety=living. Drinking=death.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would say you liked the effect produced by alcohol.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

soberwolf just to give matt the benefit of the doubt maybe he's just trying to rattle your cage and its not necesary. For example someone spoke simlierality to me when I first joined and I kinda needed that treatment. Of course yeah now sometimes how people post in relation to what i'm saying i feel as if there treating me like a child but then i dunno maybe sometimes i'm acting liek one? so i try and check myself.

But back to your original post. Why did it take you 3 months? I dunno why did it take me years to figure out i should quit and clean up my diet and exercise. Best i can say is some switch gets thrown in our heads. not drinking is so simple you simply dont drink. Drinking on the other hand is much more complicated you need money you gotta go get the booze you gotta fight a hangover you have to open the bottles throw them out consume the booze go to the bathroom etc.. its a lot of effort to drink not drinking you simply dont do anything. Why is that so hard? Cause we are alcholics. Thats the best i got.

people in general have a hard time making any life change it seems. I guess its human nature combine that with addiction and its a rough road.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So glad im sober
Three months is not bad, it took me years

I knew I could quit, I just didn't want to.

I never needed the alcohol, I just wanted it.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had my first drink when I was 17 and in Munich with a bunch of my classmates. I decided at 10 am that I would drink a handle of Jaegermeister. You can imagine the scene; but I remember thinking, "Wow, this is how people relax. I love this." I kept drinking on that trip, but I always got sick and blacked out. When I went to college, I didn't drink often because when I did I got sick. I smoked a lot of marijuana and took a lot of acid until I had a terrifying experience and had to be admitted for a few weeks. The doctor prescribed benzos. I then got a scrip for ambien. 5 years later of extensive abuse, I went to psychiatrist who gave me something to get off of it. I didn't think I had a problem. But I still needed that fix at night. I turned to alcohol and never looked back. It got worse and worse. I had many bottoms, some worse than the others. I still didn't think I had a problem. I think the point for me was to escape anxiety at night.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you everyone