Notices

What Is It Like To Have One Year Of Sobriety

Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What Is It Like To Have One Year Of Sobriety

My sobriety date is actually the 21st of September but counting actually got too difficult to figure out (not to mention remember) every month so I just made it the 1st of the month. Anyway if I stay sober until the end of the month I will have 1 year of sobriety. I can't believe that's even a possibility.

Sobriety is:
wonderful
rewarding
possible

Now that I am sober:
I still feel anxious but it is much better than what it was when I drank.
That sense of dread.....gone
Constant impending sense of doom.....gone
Fear about everything and nothing at once....also gone
When there was an emergency in the family I was able to make a financial contribution and to be emotionally present.
I no longer feel as though I am spinning off my axis.
I understand that AA works – if you do the steps.

I used to walk around meeting asking people how they had managed to get 6 months / 1 year of sobriety. I didn't understand how they did it. Until I realized that what I was asking was how do you get that sobriety with out staying sober for 6 months. I didn't even realize that I had been looking for an easier softer way.

I understand now, if you want a year of sobriety you have to stay sober every single day for 365 days. (It's sad how long it took me to catch onto that because now when I think about it, I can't understand how I thought I could get a year of sobriety any other way)

I am currently employed in a professional job in the field in which I trained. When I was drinking I went from working as a financial analyst to:

I. customer service – I kept showing up late and got into trouble. I was getting into trouble for this so one day when I woke up late I decided to overdose on Wellbutrin (an anti-depressant) and then go to the ER so that I could get a letter saying that I couldn't come to work because I had been in the ER, What I didn't know is that if you show up at the ER and say that, they keep you on a 72 hour psych hold. I ended up not going back to that job.

II. then being a cleaner at a spa, I was drinking 1.5L of sherry a day. It was a gentlemen's spa. (I was just the cleaner I swear). But it was the kind of place where my other 'co-workers' would do drugs. I would find the baggies as I was cleaning. On my second day I drank so much that I locked myself in one of the rooms and blacked out. I nearly got fired for that. Then the drinking made me so tierd that I quit because I found the job too physically demanding. Plus the owner was some kind of made man a la The Soprano's. (I overheard a conversation about all the folks he knew that were in jail)

III. then flipping burgers then I got fired from that fo rdrinking on the job.

IV. Welfare and homelessness.(last year I was in three different homeless shelters)

I couldn't keep any kind of job.

I have been employed this job for over a year. As of this Friday no one has said the following to me:

“Lifeblows, can you come into the office, we need to speak with you?”

“I don't think this job is a good fit for you.”

“This isn't working out.”

“We'll say that your contract is ending instead of saying that this is a firing.”

“We don't think you are qualified for this job.”

“You seemed so enthusiastic at the beginning.”

“What's going on with you?”

“Lifeblows, I noticed you've been coming in at _____, you do know that work starts at ______ ?”

“Does anyone smell alcohol?”

“What is that weird smell?”

> I do show up every day and I show up on time. There was a time when this was unfathomable.

> I have been making financial amends to my parents.

> I have a bank account.(There was a time when I didn't)

> I have been sober long enough to be able to separate my pychiatric issues from my alcoholic symptoms. This means that I was finally able to give my psychiatrist an accurate description of my symptoms, get a diagnosis so that I could get medication that ACTUALLY WORKS!

> I am able to comply with my treatment so that it is actually effective.

> I have kept it together long enough to be able to actually apply for health insurance so I can actually afford medication.

> On Mother's Day I was able to buy my mother a gift I remember seeing the pleasure on her face.

> On Father's Day I remembered to call my father and I could hear the joy in his voice.

Anyway to celebrate my upcoming 1 year of sobriety I was going to buy myself another sewing machine. Then I decided not too because I had wanted to buy a car. I mentioned this to my parents and my dad told me to wait unitl he came back. I almost went ahead and bought a cheap car but my dad reminded me that I had promised to wait.

I had planned to get financing because I don't have the money or credit to get a decent car any other way. My parents have decided to buy me a used car.I didn't want or expect them to do it. But my dad said that they can see that I am working hard to get my life together and that my monthly contributions to them show that I understand my obligations.

Today I cannot even understand how I could have tolerated the way that I lived particularly towards the end of my drinking. I can see now why my parents were so concerned. It was absolutely hellish and when I reflect on some of the people that I came in to contact with and some of the places where I lived it makes my skin crawl.

Sobriety is amazing.It is better than I could ever have expected. I hope I never, pick up another drink.

To any one who thinks they can't. You can. Don't give up. Keep fighting for yourself, you are worth it. Its totally worth it.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is a scary thought sometimes to think, 365 whole days without drinking. It seems like such a monumental task. It really is important to remember that each one of those days will come one moment at a time, and as such, we must handle them as they come.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really pleased for you LifeBlows - a great achievement and a great post - congratultions!

D
Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a brilliant post. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm proud of you too!! And I don't even know you!!

Let's keep on keeping on together.....
Old 08-17-2014, 02:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Life, thanks for this post. It is fantastic to hear how things are working out for you, congratulations on one year!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

1 year sober is like 10 years sober or 20 years sober, its just another day and they just seem to mount up

just make sure you dont go out and have a drink to celebrate getting a year under your belt as i have known plenty of people who got there first year as its what they were aiming for and when they got there, it was over for them and they went out and drank again
so its a day at a time for me no matter how many years i am sober, as i am only sober today its simple really yet so hard to comprehend

good luck to you and enjoy the first year as it really is amazing what we can do sober and in the first year you notice all the differences a lot more than when the years go by hence i need to be kept reminded of where i have come from. as i will forget
Old 08-17-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm nearing two years. The first year was a milestone this year has been solidifying the foundation. Really it's just one day at a time. It's a NOW thing. Reading about people who relapse after 5,10,20,30 years reminds me of that more than anything. My old man was sober over 10 years and later on died from alcoholism. Our disease never forgets anymore than hydrogen forgets that given a spark it joins with oxygen. It can't help it.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fabulous post. Congrats & thank you for being here to offer the rest of us hope.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am sooooo happy for you! Thank you for sharing this. Yep, how do you stay sober for a year???? Don't drink for 365 days. Love it! You are a shining light and reading this post made my heart sing! Thank you.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1 year is Fantastic!!
Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Really great story, thanks for posting - and congratulations.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

LIfe(I like the shortened version ) - your post is fabulous and inspiring. I am only in my first month of sobriety - and have been fortunate enough to NOT have lost my role as an Investment Advisor....but it was close. I won't go into the details but suffice to say that I am amazed at the benefits I am reaping only 21 days in....and it anyone with 24 hours - be it their first or their 365th inspires me and gives me hope. I loved your story - your eloquence and the pride in your post.

I am a woman getting her life back - and it warms my heart to see others doing the same thing. Congratulations on ONE YEAR!!!!!! Keep comin' back
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Life blows this is amazing! Congrats.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful and inspiring post, LifeBlows! Congratulations

Your experience clearly shows how we can readily change our environment and the attitudes of other people around us by working on ourselves. Way to go!
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

1 year is fantastic I 'celebrated' by cooking my wife a meal and having a quiet day just us away from it all

1year is not like 10 years I wish it was though that first year is a massive milestone and each year should be considered for exactly the time it is

Well done
Old 09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations! And what a great post-you are an inspiration.