Notices

Is smoking pot a trigger for you?

Old 08-31-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I smoked for around the first 3 months after I quit drinking, but it soon became an everyday thing. It wasn't really a trigger to drink but it did make me lazy and still psychologically addicted to a substance. I quit pot around a year ago and I'm glad I did. Much more mental clarity.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's growing right next door to me here in CA. but I'm not interested. There was a time when I got sober that my brain's feel good chemicals were restored and I was on a natural high. I 'm looking forward to getting that back.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

For me any mind altering substance is off limits.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by pakman View Post
Do cigarettes get a pass or do you not smoke? I realize there are different as tobacco does not get me high.

pakman
I don't smoke, but I used to use smokeless tobacco (chew) and I was addicted to that as well. I consider nicotine in the Category of things that don't belong in my sober life.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
quat

Pot lowered my inhibition, it didn't work as substitute for daily drinking for me. Tried that about two and half years ago. Lead to drinking again with daily pot use added to the mix.

Obviously though the question is ,what do you think? Would a state of lowered inhibition mean you may more easily make a choice to have a drink? If you smoke even just a little and not have a problem , is the risk worth the try? Is the high worth the risk, if it is what does that say about your desire to get high? That's really the rub
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

No, pot smoking was not a trigger for me to drink. I do think that drinking was sometimes a trigger for me to smoke pot. Also, I do not have a problem with the idea of separating pot smoking from drinking as a habit. For me, the two were separate and I was damn proud of myself for quitting drinking and I didn't/couldn't buy into the "you're not sober" thing. I really wanted to quit drinking and, imperfect as it was, smoking lots of pot (or should I say not quitting pot) did help me with that, I will not lie. Now I have five months of being pot free and I don't miss it. We're all different.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have smoked cannabis for about 5 years. I've smoked it almost every day during most of that... And I smoked it while on pretty much every substance I've tried, which is a lot. I quit drugs this summer, and at the end of it, I quit drinking. It made the transition from speedballing, benzos, and alchohol while puffing cigs all day, to only smoking pot happen... the withdrawals were calmed a lot by it... I do abuse it though, and I need to examine my dependence on it, but no it's not a trigger at all for anything else, in fact it's been quite the opposite. I don't even desire anything else for the most part, although, I still crave cigarettes from time to time, and alcohol always captures my attention at stores and gas stations, but if anything, pot has helped me not relapse on anything... Realize, though, that this is only my experience, I have no idea how it would effect someone else.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No, it's not a trigger for me. My problem is alcohol not THC. Caffeine is a drug, should I stop drinking my morning coffee to be considered "sober"? I could care less if people disagree with my decision to smoke pot. It's a big reason I don't bother with AA. I don't think many would accept my decision.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Smoking pot, in my case, causes paranoia and a general all around uncomfortable feeling. I'd still smoke it everyday to change the way I feel though because i'd somehow find it weirdly gratifying to be in an altered state of reality even though it's not a reality I enjoy.
I'm speaking from past experience because this time around i'm less than 24 hours sober.

I relapsed this time around because (at least in part) I became addicted to a pain medication prescribed to me by a doctor. Of course I abused and over used the meds, they always ran out days before my next prescription was due and I used alcohol to bridge the gap between prescriptions.

In my case one mind altering substance led me directly back to alcohol, I should have known better and would advise caution.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
waking down

A friend of mine smoked pot specifically to keep from drinking. After he quit drinking he started smoking a lot more pot. Obviously, he was smoking for the same reasons he had been drinking. Anyway, he's dead now. Found on the floor in his apartment surrounded by empty vodka bottles. I guess he found his peace.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
torquemax777

I can see both sides of the story. There must be something to it though, because years ago, our family doctor (not a pot doctor) prescribed my AH a medical marijuana card (before amendment 64 in Colorado) to help him not only with alcohol cravings/withdrawal and also for his depression. He did end up drinking again though, but it was months after he quit smoking pot. This last stint with drinking, he had fun poking fun at his pot smoking friends, saying things like, "I hate pot." Anyway, he is now using it again in attempt to quit drinking. We live in a tiny town where the nearest AA or Celebrate Recovery is approx. 100 miles away. And he hates technology/computers, so even though I have tried, he won't get on this site and at least "try" something even if it's not as good as AA or Celebrate. Anyway, my point is, even though I have major doubts to his using pot to quit drinking, I actually enjoy being around him stoned, better than when he is sober and even better than when he is sober and properly medicated with prescribed anti-depressants, and therapy. Why is that, that I though I want my husband sober from alcohol, I actually like him better stoned than any other option? So, I do have to wonder, if it is considered a "medication" for various ailments including cancer, and that is becoming more and more publicly/universally agreed on, why couldn't it also work as a "medication" for mental and emotional ailments as well? Don't get me wrong though, I'm just as skeptical, thinking, "Is pot just a 'pause' button for future drinking?" I don't know, but I am at least grateful for the last few weeks of "alcohol" sobriety.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I could see pot as a potential trigger for many people. I think it boils down to something andyroo72 said...it matters on how it fits into your cycle of dependency. What is the purpose of smoking pot? How do you view it and relate to it? Clearly, it is a trigger for many people.

I don't really agree with the whole "if you're smoking pot, you aren't sober" thought. What about caffiene? Nicotine is a mind altering substance as well (just very subtle). What about behaviors that can be seen as "addictive" such as gambling, sex, shopping, or World of Warcraft? And prescription medications...though prescribed, they are not always appropriate (docs do make errors), or people can become dependent on the prescription themselves, without necessarily "abusing" them recreationally....like if someone feels they could never get through life without being on an antidepressant/pain killer. Dependency is exactly that...dependence. One can drink a 6 pack of beer on the weekends, have only minor problems (beer belly) with it, and it can still be considered alcohol dependent.

I think sobriety is marked by the ability to say "no" and stop at the drop of a hat. Some people do substitute substances/behaviors, and functionally, they are not sober. Howwever, some people do not make that functional subsititution...i.e. it IS possible to smoke pot and not need it to cope or "survive."

That being said, pot is not a trigger for alcohol use for me. If anything, pot would likely deter me from drinking, as I used to use a lot 10 years ago, for about a year-year and a half, and I had little desire to drink.

I'm sure many people will disagree, but this was my 2 cents I think it really comes down to an individual basis, and some self-exploration would always be good.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I guess my 'innocent' question turned out to be a pretty contentious one. I haven't decided what to do yet. I do care very much about protecting my 'sobriety' from alcohol. Although past experience makes me believe that pot is not a trigger for me, but it's a guess, because I've never been sober long enough before to know for sure. Anyways, interesting points and discussions. I appreciate all the replies.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't really agree with the whole "if you're smoking pot, you aren't sober" thought. What about caffiene? Nicotine is a mind altering substance as well (just very subtle). What about behaviors that can be seen as "addictive" such as gambling, sex, shopping, or World of Warcraft? And prescription medications...though prescribed, they are not always appropriate (docs do make errors), or people can become dependent on the prescription themselves, without necessarily "abusing" them recreationally....like if someone feels they could never get through life without being on an antidepressant/pain killer. Dependency is exactly that...dependence. One can drink a 6 pack of beer on the weekends, have only minor problems (beer belly) with it, and it can still be considered alcohol dependent.
I've never destroyed my life as comprehensively or as completely on caffeine, prescription drugs, sugar, world of warcraft, sex , chocolate or shopping as I did on pot.

I understand the argument, but honestly it irritates me because, to me, it trivialises and diminishes what is a very real addiction and a problem for a lot of us.

But...it's a point of view that's not gonna stop being posted any time soon, so I guess I'll just have to be irritated, CScott

D
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am an old school alcoholic!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

pot makes me feel psychotic and paranoid. Id like to be able to use the low THC medicinal marijuana for its relaxing properties, but afraid id start to spin out mentally... its certainly lss harmful than alcohol and I know people who smoke but dont drink, however they were never big drinkers, so would of been their preference not to drink anyway.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Anytime I get high on anything I just want to get higher and alcohol is the cheapest most available high so I inevitably go straight to the lstore for beer after getting stoned no matter what I promised myself being high also lowers my inhibition and judgement, im want of those naturals to getting high like Phillip Seymor Hoffman God Bless him.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Pot does not belong in my sober life, and I wouldn't consider anyone who smokes pot sober. Of course, each person has his or her own definition of sobriety, but that does not fit into mine.

I don't smoke cigarettes either anymore, I haven't had one since I quit drinking. I don't think smoking cigarettes makes one not sober, I just took the opportunity to quit since they're so gross and unhealthy.

Yes, I drink coffee. To me it's ludicrous to compare it to pot or alcohol. If coffee messed with my judgment or adversely affected my health, I'm sure I'd quit it also, but so far my one to two cups of morning coffee per day have yet to do that to me.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

After being sober for 1 year, which was the longest I'd ever not had a drink, I decided that maybe smoking pot once in a while would be ok. My wife thought the same. Maybe it'll take the edge off from work and other stressors. Well, it led to a 3 year relapse that ended about a week ago. Just my experience.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I had a problem with alcohol. Never weed, tho I do smoke it here and there. I hated the feeling of mixing weed with alcohol. So no, weed is not even a slight trigger for me.