Notices

How do you Fit in without drinking/have fun

Old 08-20-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm only 55 days in but I am now thinking that maybe things where we are actually doing something are the way to have fun now. Maybe playing softball, building something, swimming, tennis, or watching a movie. When I was drinking I would just sit on the porch (mainly) or couch and talk for hours and hours, only leaving my seat to refill my drink. I wasn't really doing anything. I was an at-home drinker though. I sat on the porch and called people, watched youtube videos, read news, checked facebook. Quite a fun life, right?

I've also had to realize that I can't feel great or have fun all the time. When i was drinking I really thought I was having fun and feeling good while just sitting and drinking. Maybe life is just a little more......beige (which I think is a good thing!) when we're sober. A healthy and happy beige.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by doublecheck View Post
I guess fun is letting go not caring what others think.
Your fun sounds like drinking. Doesn't have to be, but you haven't figured out any other way to enjoy yourself. Or it's not "fun" you are really seeking.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Every Sunday morning, I now go to the local newsagent and buy a newspaper, I stand and chat to the guy that owns the store about a range of things, sport, the weather, what he's been up to that week, neither of us are in any hurry, it's a relaxing Sunday morning after all!!

I then go to a local coffee shop and as I read my newspaper, hangover free, the regular people that come in every week start to filter in, I then have some more coffee and have some great conversation, which sees me through until the afternoon.

I never imagined that this activity went on every Sunday morning, it was a great discovery when I got Sober, the fun and enjoyment in life is out there, alcohol is not the centre of the universe!!
"Alcohol is not the centre of the universe!"

This is so profound for me. Thank you.... It is SO true. I am really discovering that being sober is really more fun than drinking.

For me, at least the last five years I was drinking, I definitely WASN'T having any fun. I was a sick, miserable person who couldn't look at myself in the mirror.

Glad it's over
Old 08-21-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by doublecheck
I guess fun is letting go not caring what others think.
Yes, it is very freeing and fun to do things and live in such a way that you can joyously do things you enjoy without being self-conscious about what others think of you. It's called confidence, and you probably haven't developed much because you used to get it from a bottle. But the confidence from a bottle is artificial. Not the genuine stuff that kids have and we all have but lost along the way. When I quit I decided that I would no longer be ruled by fear. I did things that I was scared to do. I pushed the envelope. I spoke in front of a large audience (and it was televised), I jumped from an airplane, I ran a 5k completely naked with 300 other completely naked people, I ventured out, I dated, I tried new hobbies.

Big and small, I face fears and push through. From doing that, I develop confidence. Now, I know that I can do anything I choose to do. I don't hide behind booze. I know who I am. Now I know if something is scary for me, I probably need to slowly push toward it. The lessons are in the doing.

Originally Posted by zerothehero
I still let loose at shows (live music) and dance like a freak. I'm just not drunk or high.
Me too. And it feels great.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It is an amazing, beautiful wonderful thing to feel at peace, serene, or just joyous in the middle of what seems like nothing. The feeling was so profound within me (during a flight with all the lights out and I'm just tuning to a good song), that I had tears flowing down. While active, the only thing that could tear me up was extreme situations in movies. Now, it happens more often. The chains are broken and I feel more free. That's letting loose.

The other day, I started tearing and feeling pain for the lives of other people while my wife played a video of the refugees fleeing IRAQ. A man spoke of the emotional pain of leaving his mother behind who had collapsed and passed away, thirsty, hungry, and tired. I'm standing there listening and feeling the emotions and the sadness for the situation. Just plain awesome to be in touch with myself.

I FEEL so much more now and I DON'T need to drink to get me there.

Imagine the feeling that - hey, I WILL REMEMBER this. I am having fun JUST being me (not the drunk me). I won't wake up with a hangover. I won't die from this. And guess what else? These people actually give a sh** about me. THAT INCLUDES ME. I give a sh** about myself.

Things I didn't enjoy before, I do now. I feel a weight lifted off of my shoulders, like this 10 ton brick has dropped to the floor, and I feel light off of my feet. Now, instead of needing drink to "get in the mood" to dance, I get the urge on it's own. Just plain awesome.

Sadness, Joy, Excitement, Anxiety, the gambit of emotions are far more present in my life, and I would trade them any day for my prior life.

Now you can ask yourself the tough question - WITHOUT alcohol. What do I really like to do? What really sets me free? Something that's for me.

Fishing? Hiking? Board games? Skateboarding? A good book? A movie? An interesting lecture?

Search it out and find yourself - maybe the you that's been left behind would love to see you and spend time with you. ("hey ME, when's the last time we played the clarinet? stopped playing because it wasn't 'cool' with the drinking friends? scr** that BS - you love it, right?) Or, maybe your inner child has missed you too. At least, that's the case for me. I got my little buddy who loves me and I love him, just the way he is.

Sobriety is just awesome. I don't wait for the next drink for fun. I find fun everywhere.

Just some ideas/thoughts. All the BEST!