Notices

Any moms out there addicted to wine?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by bluehour View Post
What do you mean by "what sort of disease is this?"?

I never drank pregnant (4x) and I am sure that some of the hormonal changes that come with pregnancy are responsible for making it easier to quit alcohol.
I think you have answered your own question.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. It is good that you know that you are an Alcoholic - many people grapple with that one for some time. I am too. I'm a Mom. Now the decision you have to make is whether you will choose to do something about it or keep going down a dangerous and destructive path.

I drank as a busy stay at home mom. I drank as a successful business woman with my own firm and Assistant - and pressures like I have NEVER experienced before. I would drink if I were a single childless artist in Paris... we are all Alcoholics and all you have to do is attend a handful of AA meetings to see tha that you are not the busiest alcoholic, you are not the alcoholic with the most or least pressures. It's not a very picky disease.

You need to decide, REALLY decide to do something about it and then try the route you think will hold the best chances of success for you....and be willing to try other options if it doesn't.

I'm only 2 weeks sober but my determination to find myself again, reclaim my health and happiness and return the wife, mother, friend and professional to the people in my life that deserve it is making this pretty easy. The option to NOT do this is pretty ugly.

Personally I couldn't do it white knuckling by myself at home(as great as this site is - not enough for this wine loving Momma!). Daily AA meetings, working on myself, working with a counsellor(who is an Alcoholic with 12 yrs sobriety who I cannot hide my sh*t from) and putting my health first is my attack plan. I've changed routines - it takes a boat load of planning to work and parent while working meetings in....and my husband works away from home 60% of the time. No excuses - get your life back! Give your kids their best Mommy.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

As you see, you are not alone.

Another good book to pick up is: Drinking: A Love Story, by Caroline Knapp
Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

HI Thesouthern1

A mum of two here who LOVED wine ... I worked full-time , 5 days a week for 20 years I also drank from early teenage years.... if I was a SAHM I would have been in BIG trouble ... work stopped me drinking 24/7 ... in the holidays there were no such rules..

My AH continues to drink. I have over time built up my sober tool box. SR chat was / is my sobriety lifeline ... I had to find something to do during my usual drinking time.... SR chat was my distraction. I planned my quit date over time .... I had a family to run I could not go to rehab etc ...

Your hubby sounds supportive ... he needs to prioritize your recovery .. supervise the kids while you seek support.

Have you checked out AVRT .. there is information about it somewhere on this site ... Addictive Voice Recogition Techique ..there is an on-line crash course that i relied on heavily in early sobriety .. i still use it when that voice appears in my head suggesting i could just have one drink.

Life is not perfect sober ... I have not had a drink for 2 years ... my 13 YO probably remembers me drinking .. my 10 YO can't remember me drinking at all. I feel ALL those emotions I had been drowning since I was a teenager ... being a sober adult is challenging... but it can be done..

Seek support ...see a doctor .. find some sober friends.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was. Four years sober today, and I wish I had quit 25 years earlier. Quit now. You will NEVER regret it!!
nancy
Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was a wine drinking mom for 15 years, after I switched from hard alcohol of course. Looking back I could see that is one of the hallmarks of an alcoholic switching one form for another. After two years of on again 75-80 days sober followed by relapse lather rinse repeat I lost my job and finally got honest with myself about my problem. I have 21 months sober, have a sponsor, worked my steps, and I am sponsoring another woman and while life isn't perfect, it is so much better than when I was drinking every night for those 15 years. All it takes is a desire to stop drinking and then it is one step at a time sometimes 5 minutes at a time but pretty soon that turns into 24 hours and then another and before you know it you have some sober time under your belt.

My suggestion get plugged into a recovery community somewhere and get honest about what you want and deal with your stuff so you can be the mom you want to be for your kids. I haven't been able to do a lot for me, but I can do anything for my kids because they deserve better and they deserve to see that you can get your life back and not be controlled by alcohol. You just need the tools, but you have to stop drinking first. You can do this.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome The Southern1

do check out the Moms support thread as well:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-11-a-3.html

D
Old 08-13-2014, 02:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You are all so strong, and have such amazing ability and insight, the funny thing is I dont even like the taste anymore, I force it down me to get the buzz, I have a problem with food too, binge drink, binge eat - 31 year old ex beauty queen turned fat old soak, who knew!