Notices

Realllly feeling like drinking

Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realllly feeling like drinking

I am having the worst cravings right now. I slipped up 3 days ago and had 3 drinks. But I've been staying the course since. It's so hard to break the habit!! The second something uncomfortable comes up (headache, kids, depression, stress, boredom, you name it) I want to get a drink. And I am incredibly obsessive in my thoughts. I feel like I have OCD when they start.
I DONT want to drink. But I feel like I'm going crazy!!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is it YOU that wants to drink or that voice inside your head (your AV)? I think the real YOU desperately wants to stop, and has wished that since at least July 2010 when you signed up for this site. You wouldn't be on this site if you deep down didn't want to stop. Find an activity that can distract you from these thoughts, urges and cravings really do not last long once the brain is distracted with something else.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

hollybear -

Most of us here learned over a long period of time we could not do it alone! I love SR, but if it were my only resource I would probably not be very successful - with all respect. That's just me.

Perhaps consider going to a live support group - TODAY! I go to AA - 60 days today - and it has given me people who talk with that are the SAME.

There are other options but get in front of other's who are in the same boat - it really, really helps!!!

Good luck, glad you're here!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just dont give in to that urge . It will pass. I wish I would have done that last pm, and many other times too. It really isnt worth it. Hang in!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Hang in there. Posting here before the slip is a step in the right direction. I had a 3 day hangover when I drank 3 drinks. It took a full 3 days for the depression to clear out. I had been sober about 90 days and I just couldn't handle it anymore.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Hang in there. Posting here before the slip is a step in the right direction. I had a 3 day hangover when I drank 3 drinks. It took a full 3 days for the depression to clear out. I had been sober about 90 days and I just couldn't handle it anymore.
I think you're on to something there, silentrun. My body doesn't handle it the same anymore. It's not fun anymore. (Most the time- and it's that 5% of the time that's still fun that I keep reaching for)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did reach out to my friend who has been through this. She's calling me soon. But I'm just so tired with the obsessive thoughts. It's maddening. Drinking would shut down my brain, that's for sure.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It hadn't been fun for 2 years and I still kept doing it. I know for a fact I got everything good out of it I possibly could. Only pain if I kept going. Even knowing that I spent probably about the first month rocking back and forth in the bathtub each night waiting for the liquor store to close so the incredible cravings would go away. It's rough hollybear but the longer you can go the easier it gets.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Someone will come behind me and advise against it, but NA beer helped me a lot with the obsessive thoughts during my first month of sobriety. I'm 4 months sober now and still drink it occasionally. Yes it was a crutch for awhile, but a very helpful one for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So what can you do instead? What is your plan to handle this. You can do this. You are worth more than this, I know you don't want to drink and will regret it later!

Stay strong!
Old 08-07-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would definitely wanna pick up a NA beer if I were a beer drinker! Lol I actually think that would be helpful for me. I am a vodka person however. I drank to get drunk and hated the taste of it.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
So what can you do instead? What is your plan to handle this. You can do this. You are worth more than this, I know you don't want to drink and will regret it later! Stay strong!
What did you do to replace the drinking? So far I haven't found anything that works
Old 08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hollybear,
I personally have replaced drinking with doing things around the house, cleaning etc. Also i force myself to go for a walk outside anytime they hit. I've found myself walking quite a bit recently. I used to get straight home from work and the first thing i did was have a drink, which always leads to many more. Cleaning isn't the most exciting thing believe me but i find that before you know it the craving is gone. Hope you're able to fight it
Old 08-07-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I indulged in junk food when I was white knuckling it. Ice cream, chips, etc. I'm back to clean eating now but during the first six weeks all bets were off.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also Xanax. That is personal experience not medical advice.