Notices

Predestination

Old 07-17-2004, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Predestination

Didn't I hear here...(hear here ) that people with addictive personalities are too smart for their own good?
Manipulation + Desperately Seeking Attention...that's my personal formula for being too smart. And too gosh-darn emotional.
In all honesty--everyone that I've come in contact with that were addicts were extemely smart--bookwise or lifewise or both. And, very emotionally connected--once they were sober. You know the term "old soul"? They seemed like that as well.
I'm not going to lump everyone into one catergory, but that seems to always be the pattern. Of course, I'm young and I haven't had THAT much experience, I still sorta feel like I have--in my gut.

Am I making any sense?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

I guess, what I should have said...is that we THINK too much for our own goods...
Dunno.
Sometimes, I just keep rolling and rolling around in my brain what it takes to be sober...why I want to be sober...reason after reason, etc. etc. Then, a little voice tells me: JUST DO IT!!! Don't even think about it. Kinda like the Nike commercials.
Well, it must work since I've been clean for 15 days.

(And, I'm NOT going to think it COULD have been a month if I didn't slip up...UH-UH, no way... ) Although, I have to admit that it would be nice to have a momento i.e. 30 day chip to hold in my hands. This time, in 2 weeks, meet me there!!! One day at a time.

Last edited by squirrelly77; 07-17-2004 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Because I can! And because I'm anal.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YA ON THAT DANIELLE.
DON'T YOU KNOW I'M ALWAYS RIGHT?
HOW DARE YOU FEEL OTHER THAN I WANT YOU TO.
WOW LOTS TO CHANGE HERE,JUST GETTING STARTED.
YEP,JUST DO IT.............ted
Old 07-17-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Well, I can sure concur that *I*, personally, am beyond intelligent .

Seriously....I agree with your line of thinking there; I was pondering that the other day, in fact. My theory, based on absolutle nothing but my opinion, lol, is that addicts are both smarter than average AND tend to overanalyze things to death.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

TED!!!

Of course you're always right! I would be a fool to think otherwise. :tongue3:

I wanted to add here as an aside, I just finished reading "Come to the Silence" in the Inspirational forum.

Turn off brain + come to the silence. For therein lies the answer....
Old 07-17-2004, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by squirrelly77
I guess, what I should have said...is that we THINK too much for our own goods...
Dunno.
Sometimes, I just keep rolling and rolling around in my brain what it takes to be sober...why I want to be sober...reason after reason, etc. etc. Then, a little voice tells me: JUST DO IT!!! Don't even think about it. Kinda like the Nike commercials.
Well, it must work since I've been clean for 15 days.

(And, I'm NOT going to think it COULD have been a month if I didn't slip up...UH-UH, no way... ) Although, I have to admit that it would be nice to have a momento i.e. 30 day chip to hold in my hands. This time, in 2 weeks, meet me there!!! One day at a time.
I think sobriety is a two-step process.

First we deal with the mechanics of stopping and staying stopped in the short run. The discomfort of early sobriety, the physiology, combatting the urges, getting group support if that is helpful.

But the second step is identifying what we liked about alcohol or our DOC in the first place. What we think we will miss. What beliefs we have about the role of alcohol or drugs in our life.

Changing those beliefs is the key to long-term sobriety. And we can't do that without thinking about it.

I agree: quit drinking, and your motivation for sobriety may follow. But in the long run it is best to change our whole belief structure, learn new coping skills, and achieve lifestyle balance--or those reasons we drank in the first place may still be there when life throws us a curve.

Don't drink, but DO think!
Don S