Notices

Friday/Saturday worst days

Old 07-25-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday/Saturday worst days

Anyone else get a bit low on Fridays and Saturdays? Sometimes it feels like everything sociable has to involve drinking. Even a quiet night in for others involves a glass or six. Maybe i'm just feeling sorry for myself but it can dig deep sometimes. Hey ho, I'll be fresh as a daisy in the morning! Any quirky ideas for beating these blues?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have a Weekender thread here on the Forum, plenty of people trying to get through the weekend together, everyone is welcome to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...25th-27th.html
Old 07-25-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You will never have better Saturday and Sunday mornings!!

I understand, though and for a good 3-5 months, Friday and Saturday nights were tough, but now they just feel like any other day. (I will be 10 months sober on the 29th) Like all things, it is just a matter of time and habit and your body getting used to you actually taking care of it. This too shall pass . . .
Old 07-25-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

Friday and saturday nights only? in early sobriety i felt like that every single night. Lucky for me I'm not real social so I dont feel like i'm missing out on some kind of social gathering that involves booze. As time went on how I chose to spent my time evolved. drinking was replaced by reading and drinking tea as if it where booze lol (IE mass quantities) that has since subsided. Now half the time I'm rather boring i read some then go to bed at a reasonable hour and wake up without a hangover and dont think much of it.

Try something new or something else you enjoy doing. Or do some activity you normally would have avoided because you woulda been too drunk to do it etc...

I know sometimes I'll run to the store at 8 or 9pm and think wow I remember the time I could never leave the house that late because i was already way to bombed!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hmmm I know what you mean as everyone seems to be out but I enjoy my sober sleeps on the weekend so I tend to want to drink more in the week as work gets me down etc.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Weekends are a funny one for me.....they're not a particular trigger for me now, but I know they would have been if I'd tried to quit when I was younger. In those days, Saturday night would have been unthinkable without my wine.

As I've said elsewhere, even at my worst I've never been an everyday drinker, and recently have had plenty stretches sober which covered weekends and this didn't pose a problem at all. But that's only maybe in the last year or two. Due to various circumstances I haven't been working for a couple of years so was able to drink during the week with ease, and I guess weekends took on less significance as special drinking-time.

But yeah, a few years ago, if I had tried to quit then, weekends would have been a trigger for me.

Hmm, I've waffled and not really offered any advice, sorry!

I'd second what Purpleknight said though about joining the weekenders thread. Much as I've just said weekends aren't a huge trigger for me, I thought I'd join in over there as why not use all the support I can get, plus I can hopefully support others.

Stay strong!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, it's funny it just gets to me every now and again. I'm coming up to 15 mths sober so you'd think I'd be getting used to it. Just one of those things I suppose, it will pass, it always does! Thanks for your comments, always nice to hear from you.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, congrats on almost 15 months sober!