Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Best Service to Use for a Backgroun Check on Myself?

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'd like to do a background check on myself (United States). I want to know what a potential employer would see. I have only two lifetime legal issues, both are minor misdemeanor convictions that were a direct result of my drinking. Neither involved criminal violence, theft, property destruction etc. (one was a charge for public urination).

Anyway, I'd like to see what's out there. I have checked some of the free sites, but I think a pay site would provide more detail. I don't have a problem with paying for the service if it is legit.

I'm primarily concerned with my misdemeanor convictions. The rest of my record should be clean if not exemplary.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmmmm...maybe contacting your local police department to ask how one get's a background check. This information is public record. Maybe checking the court that you went through for your charges? Now that I think about it, the court would probably be more helpful than the police department. If you went through a court diversion type process, the charge shouldn't be there at all. I would start with the court.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks clover. I'm trying to emulate what a potential employer would do. I assumed there was some type of national database with arrest records. I may hire someone to do a BG check, as I'm either coming up empty handed when I check the local public sites for my arrest location, or there is no online search feature for public records.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Feenix I just googled 'background checks' and got a page of results - all Australian tho LOL

with a little discernment I think you could find a reputable one in your state

D
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No arrests for me in Australia I should be happy that I'm finding it hard to find my arrest record. Also, enough time has passed that I can have my record expunged, but I've not been willing to spend the money on lawyer's fees at this point. And the charges were minor, so I've not been that anxious to have them expunged.

Unfortunately, the drunken incidents happened when I was older. If they had occurred when I was younger, a potential employer would probably overlook them as youthful indiscretion. But since they occurred when I was supposed to be a mature adult, the arrests would raise an eyebrow and require an thorough explanation.

Yet another reason to be sober, cleaning up some of the mess I've left is a long and unpleasant process.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just had one for an application. $7 at the police dept. They just say whether or not the record is clean, well I have clean record so I don't know what details show if there is an issue, I would guess charges and dates.

call up the police station.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Deepending on the job, they will find out everything and anything.
If I t is a security screening, ju st tell them everything yyou know. Never lie or try to 'forget' anything. Even if you think it was expunged. They will find out.

Integrity is everything.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Feenixx...I have lived in a few states where employers routinely ask for submission of both a national and state background check. For the national check, your fingerprints are taken and checked against a national database. I do not think that each state has the capacity to check one another's database. For the state check, the individual state arrest records are checked and given to you in a printout format for the employer.

Lying by omission is grounds for immediate termination for the majority of employers I have come across. If you hold a board certified state license then it will permanently be revoked.

Like Archelon wrote, just bring your ID and a check and you can get a printout. Check out your state bureau of criminal identification.

LBrain is right. They will find out. No room for mistakes in that area.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm currently self-employed and have been for 15 years, and I'm financially solvent, so I'm not currently seeking employment. However, I like to have a Plan B, as there is always the chance I may go back to working for someone else.

I've always prided myself on my clean record, so even thought my two convictions are minor, I'm still bothered that they're on my record. I'm even more bothered that both were a direct result of my drinking. I'm fortune in that I have very few lingering issues from my drinking days, but the arrests are the gift that apparently will keep on giving.

Well, I have no one to blame but myself, and they certainly aren't a hurdle I can't overcome, but whenever I think of the arrests, I hear that "how could you be so stupid" voice coming from deep inside my brain.