Notices

Anyone take an IQ test drunk?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone take an IQ test drunk?

I feel so much smarter with my clear head and all that I decided to take an IQ test. Needless to say I only scored 90 , but I started to think. I spent so much time dumbing down, what a shame. I can remember so many times where I had trouble doing basic things as a drunk. I don't think we realize what it really does to our brains.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap alcohol can damage the brain over the longterm, but the good news is brain cell development can occur during abstinence and neurones can be reformed!!

The body is a fantastic machine!!
Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Never took an IQ test drunk, but I have tried to read textbooks and do classwork drunk. Impossible to retain a coherent thought!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

When I was drinking I pretty much did everything drunk, it's pretty amazing how much more I can get done and how much better I can do it now than I'm sober.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Not IQ test but I like to play around with pattern recognition puzzles. I tend to do very well at some types of these but when I tried under the influence of alcohol, my performance dropped significantly.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

aborkie

i once read a study conducted on college students taking exams under the influence of alcohol. basically the results where they has a slight improvement in over all test scores. i had some test anxiety in college. so i had a few drinks before class and took and exam, and i flew though it and received an A. so i think i took vast majority of my exams under the influence of alcohol with confidence.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
i once read a study conducted on college students taking exams under the influence of alcohol. basically the results where they has a slight improvement in over all test scores. i had some test anxiety in college. so i had a few drinks before class and took and exam, and i flew though it and received an A. so i think i took vast majority of my exams under the influence of alcohol with confidence.
Yes alcohol has been shown to increase performance and creativity in small quantities. I don't think anyone would do well really drunk.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I believe it. For example a musician might play fantastic after 2-3 drinks, but it's all downhill from there, and fast.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Never did. But I know I did a lot of stupid things when drunk.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Yes alcohol has been shown to increase performance and creativity in small quantities. I don't think anyone would do well really drunk.
Originally Posted by aborkie View Post
I believe it. For example a musician might play fantastic after 2-3 drinks, but it's all downhill from there, and fast.
I thought I played better drunk/stoned but I have recorded proof that's not the case LOL

I play much better sober, hands down

D
Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Learning States

To the point made by robgt350...

Back in Stone Age Psych Classes, we studied 'Learning States'. To cut right to it, the Theory was that if you had a mild buzz on during Classes, you likely would do better with a mild buzz on come time for Tests.

We had the full Honor System at this small, Lib Arts College. Take a Test anywhere you want, including outside the Classroom. I ducked into the Restroom while taking a Test in Class, only to hear this repeated 'clicking' noise. It was a Guy I kinda knew, sitting on the Can [as a Chair], and flicking this little Pen Knife incessantly while he took the same Psych Test.

Turns out, he was 'Speeding'. He'd done Speed during much of Class, and was doing so during this Test in accordance with the idea to be in the same Learning State during Testing as you were in during Classes.

He did fine on the Test, I recall. I don't advise this Practice, obviously, but there might be something to this whole 'Learning State' concept. Info absorbed is stored differently; Neurons fire differently; and so on...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

mild buzz worked for shooting pool...not so much a triathalon
Old 07-24-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I thought I played better drunk/stoned but I have recorded proof that's not the case LOL

I play much better sober, hands down
Try SQL Server or C++ programming while drunk......trust me it doesn't work.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i took an online iq test on beer 11 and a bunch of pot. i scored a 70. i took the same test the next day and scored 170. it was multiple choice so that might have helped me some when retaking it but 100 points is still pretty big.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Took some sobriety tests drunk... failed.