Notices

2 years recovery, anxiety and vertigo

Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 years recovery, anxiety and vertigo

Hi everyone. First post, but I've trolled on here for a while.

I quit (the wrong way) drinking a little over two years ago. Landed in the hospital. After a few doctors visits a couple years ago, I was ready for the mental battle with addiction. However, since then, I have had many issues with waves of anxiety, balance issues, vertigo, etc.

From what I gather, that seems relatively "normal" - my problem is that I can go for weeks without a single issue and then all of a sudden, something triggers my anxiety and I will grapple with intense feelings of worry and panic for hours or days. Then it goes away.

I can't even breath around alcohol. I mistakenly swigged some mouthwash at my gf's and there happened to be alcohol in it.. and well, that seemed to trigger (about a day later) a rush of anxiousness, vertigo and my weird balance issues.

How long can I expect this go on? I have no intent of drinking ever again. I also gave up coffee - I was a long time coffee drinker - to help with the anxiety. I eat well, exercise, etc. I care a lot about my mind and body.

Does anyone have any advice they can give me? At 2 years and still dealing with this, I am getting pretty depressed. Will this be life long? Do I set myself back further for recovery with little incidents like mouthwash (sounds ridiculous, I know)?

Thanks..
Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ST250 - welcome

Have you seen a Dr about any of these issues - they seem quite debilitating?

D
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi D,

Thanks for the reply.

I have, but I haven't found the right response. I'm opposed to taking medication for anxiety, I once did to help with sleep. That was before I developed a drinking problem. I think it would probably make things worse now.

I had blood tests done a while back and a cat scan. Relatively normal, was told to include more B12. So, I did.

I haven't been given a clear idea of how long I can expect recovery to be. One minute I feel great (most of the time now), and the next it is a complete 180. It just throws me off completely.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Counselling helped me with my anxiety but it was a long process. My anxiety was one of the reasons I started drinking.

My vertigo disappeared when I got sober so I'm afraid I can't help you there.
I hope you find a suitable solution

D
Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not sure if this will help...I have a lot of autoimmune issues. I have RA and am in remission. I have suffered vertigo and in my case it was related to autoimmunes.
I have never really suffered from anxiety till my drinking got bad and now in recovery I still occasionally get it at 9 months sober.
Like I said, I don't know if it will help but doing some blood work with your doctor could detect possible factors causing the vertigo.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will likely pay the doctor a visit soon for some bloodwork. I am guessing it is more nerve related than anything, though?

I should add. I'm a former competitive road cyclist and currently a long distance runner. Haven't had any immune issues.. yet.