Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Waiting to get into a treatment facility as excruciating as alcoholism itself

Notices

Old 07-19-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

-spent the last x5 days in home detox with a very well meaning lady from VON (Victoria order of Nurses) who had a good heart while I was on Librium
-had to spend $30 on a doc's note saying I was an alcoholic for my employer
-discovered that I have to spend $40/daily on treatment facility for my alcoholism ( 40x30=$1200) ok
-completed form to Residential Adult Addiction Treatment Program Application that has to be signed by a doctor and a psychiatrist.
-have to meet with Alberta Addiction and Mental Health department on July 28/14 to get approval to go to treatment facility for mid-August.

In the meantime, facing bankruptcy. Creditors calling daily. Not working and not having an income incoming. Liver prob looks like the equivalent of Larry Hagman's (RIP JR). F * C K this ass backwards system. Still taking Librium & not drinking. Here's hoping I have a huge jammer with all this stress and the health system in this province has platitudes for my family like "I wish we could have done more...." Thanks for listening
Old 07-19-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Mercurial,

Just passing thru this section and wanted to wish you well.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Mercurial.
I hope you have success in rehab.
You deserve it.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mercurial,

I know what it's like to be in that limbo, I had a week between my decision to go and actually getting into rehab. That said, count your blessings - you did have a nurse. That $30 Dr. note could save your career. My treatment cost me $20,000, my insurance paid 2,000.

The creditors and all the other stuff are details. They are not in the same league as life vs. death: your sobriety is the only thing in your post that is life or death. As hellacious as it has been, you are doing fantastic - you are sober, and you are on your way to treatment. Every decision you face until you are in there should be judged in that perspective: does it keep me sober and keep me on track with getting into treatment? If the answer is yes, do it, if the answer is no - know that doing this is a life or death thing. I cannot imagine anything that cannot wait six or more weeks to be addressed. The banks, creditors, and work will survive the neglect... but you may not.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope it all goes well!!
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Those prices sound pretty good actually. Are you talking about Victoria BC Canada? or Australia? or what?

On the creditors don't sweat it. We can do incredible things once we get off of the bottle. My AA group is filled with stories of people coming back from every imaginable financial quagmire - plus our personal relationships, health, and careers are often a war zone too.

Focus on getting well and you'll be fine.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
Those prices sound pretty good actually. Are you talking about Victoria BC Canada? or Australia? or what?

On the creditors don't sweat it. We can do incredible things once we get off of the bottle. My AA group is filled with stories of people coming back from every imaginable financial quagmire - plus our personal relationships, health, and careers are often a war zone too.

Focus on getting well and you'll be fine.
Alberta, Canada. Gratitude to you all for your support
Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there mm. This is an opportunity to start a new life.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hang in there Merc. Thinking of you.