Notices

Difficult Feelings Brought Up

Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficult Feelings Brought Up

Tonight a man came in to the meeting drunk. Afterwards he wouldn’t leave and I think eventually they had to call the police. I hate to admit this, because it is mad. But when I see people drunk, even in that state, even behaving horribly, even knowing that they will wake up full of regret, I want to be drunk. I spoke to someone online today and she said it makes her feel sick, knowing how easily that could be her. And I can understand that, really. But just now, just these moments, I want to feel that madness.

Afterwards, I sat with a friend and had chips by the canal. That’s not very relevant but it was nice. Gratitude list.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took me a long time to not want to be drunk Dollpart...but I stayed sober, I changed, and I no longer want to be drunk.

I have faith you'll get there too

D
Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee
Old 06-21-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I responded to your other thread, but my advice is the same, stick to YOUR plan, execute it and remain Sober, don't worry about others and this guy, stick to your agenda!!

You can do this!!
Old 06-21-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

7 weeks sober now.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dollpart,
your post made me look up an old one of mine on another forum. i was a couple of months sober and started a thread called "oh yuck!", yuck because someone else relapsed and i felt envy, wanted the madness.
it was, of course, madness to want that madness.
and after talking to a few people, i realized that my feelings had stopped at the envy , and when i realized that i could move on to compassion and sorrow for their pain.
but yeah, i wanted it, felt disgusted about wanting it, got stuck there for a bit, got scared, moved on...
it was years ago.
dollpart, these things happen, and we feel what we feel. for me it was hugely valuable to talk about all this stuff as it came up, on my daily forum.
so i'm glad to see you post about it and get feedback and explore yourself, so to speak.

the envy was a feeling. feelings come and go. feeling that i wanted that madness...it was a kneejerk thing, like so many other feeling-reactions. and yeah, it felt sick. dirty.

and i had no need to act on it.
neither do you.

keep going.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Firstly...this....

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post

7 weeks sober now.
Literally made me exclaim, "Oh Wow!", out loud.

That is the most precious thing you have right now...really. Every....Single....Thing....depends on it.

What you saw tonight, and what you felt...was a feeling. Acknowledge it, and realise our addictive voice hides the truth from us. That's it's mode of operation in order to succeed. Euphoric recall. Look it up.

I read your post and immediately felt sad repulsion for what that man is going through. I rarely have any envious feelings anymore, and when I do, I say, "oh, hello you"....and zap it. It's not me, it's the old lizard, trying to lead me back to hell.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
dollpart,
your post made me look up an old one of mine on another forum. i was a couple of months sober and started a thread called "oh yuck!", yuck because someone else relapsed and i felt envy, wanted the madness.
it was, of course, madness to want that madness.
and after talking to a few people, i realized that my feelings had stopped at the envy , and when i realized that i could move on to compassion and sorrow for their pain.
but yeah, i wanted it, felt disgusted about wanting it, got stuck there for a bit, got scared, moved on...
it was years ago.
dollpart, these things happen, and we feel what we feel. for me it was hugely valuable to talk about all this stuff as it came up, on my daily forum.
so i'm glad to see you post about it and get feedback and explore yourself, so to speak.

the envy was a feeling. feelings come and go. feeling that i wanted that madness...it was a kneejerk thing, like so many other feeling-reactions. and yeah, it felt sick. dirty.

and i had no need to act on it.
neither do you.

keep going.
Thank you, Fini. I'm glad you understand it, though obviously sorry that you have cause to!

I got through last night without a drink, and I can get through today. I just really didn't need that reminder of how I could be.

And I do feel compassion, but at the moment it's all tangled up with the desire to get drunk.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Firstly...this....

Literally made me exclaim, "Oh Wow!", out loud.

That is the most precious thing you have right now...really. Every....Single....Thing....depends on it.

What you saw tonight, and what you felt...was a feeling. Acknowledge it, and realise our addictive voice hides the truth from us. That's it's mode of operation in order to succeed. Euphoric recall. Look it up.

I read your post and immediately felt sad repulsion for what that man is going through. I rarely have any envious feelings anymore, and when I do, I say, "oh, hello you"....and zap it. It's not me, it's the old lizard, trying to lead me back to hell.
Thank you Croissant Thanks for all your comments on all my threads, your positivity always makes me smile.

I looked up euphoric recall and that's exactly what this is. I remember the feeling of being drunk, the not caring, even the anger, keeping me afloat. And I am struggling to remember just how dangerous and awful it/ I was.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
Tonight a man came in to the meeting drunk. Afterwards he wouldn’t leave and I think eventually they had to call the police. I hate to admit this, because it is mad. But when I see people drunk, even in that state, even behaving horribly, even knowing that they will wake up full of regret, I want to be drunk. I spoke to someone online today and she said it makes her feel sick, knowing how easily that could be her. And I can understand that, really. But just now, just these moments, I want to feel that madness.

Afterwards, I sat with a friend and had chips by the canal. That’s not very relevant but it was nice. Gratitude list.
good on ya for the gratitude list.
seems like ya may have learned a couple things-
maybe some on the powerless thing,maybe a lil of the unmanageability.
ya could use some restoring to sanity!

im thinkin sittin on the canal with a friend havin chips is very relevant. could have been yer HP steppin in there.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks tomsteve.
I think I have learned a few things... Namely, that it really is an insanity.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i should have added that it was years ago.
and that getting that envious feeling and getting scared...well, it doesn't mean a road to relapse.

I just really didn't need that reminder of how I could be.

hm...those reminders...i don't go looking for them, but i put them to good use when they come punching me in the gut.

way to go on starting your eighth week, dp.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

food for thought- how did you feel this morning? how do you think the drunk felt? Ha!