Notices

Turned into a morning person

Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Turned into a morning person

When I was drinking I'd drink until I passed out, I'd then wake intermittently during the night (felt like every hour), wake with the shakes and then lie there thinking about going to the bottle shop. Well not now, since sobering up I've turned into a morning person and I love it. Ok so maybe I'm not out as much in the evenings these days but the morning is now my favourite part of the day, it's so peaceful. Another realisation of the 'real me'. I also sleep better than I ever knew possible. I still dream of drinking occasionally but the feeling of joy when I realise it was only a dream can be quite euphoric. I just thought I'd share this bit of positivity for anyone thinking of getting sober.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to read this EP
D
Old 06-22-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I started voluntarily getting up early instead of getting up just because I had to. Much less stress.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easilypleased View Post
When I was drinking I'd drink until I passed out, I'd then wake intermittently during the night (felt like every hour), wake with the shakes and then lie there thinking about going to the bottle shop. Well not now, since sobering up I've turned into a morning person and I love it. Ok so maybe I'm not out as much in the evenings these days but the morning is now my favourite part of the day, it's so peaceful. Another realisation of the 'real me'. I also sleep better than I ever knew possible. I still dream of drinking occasionally but the feeling of joy when I realise it was only a dream can be quite euphoric. I just thought I'd share this bit of positivity for anyone thinking of getting sober.
If I were you, I would continue and make it a personal rule to go to bed before sunset.

Enough rest puts you in firm position to resist bad urges. Being tired does the opposite.

So, make it a habit to take pyjama out before sunset.

If it doesn't work at first, and you are unable to fall asleep, stay in bed.

i did that for 3 months and now I wouldn't trade that habit for anything.

If you don't make the bed up in the morning, do it.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My daily schedule also shifted this way after getting sober. Initially, because I had trouble sleeping - usually I did not have problems falling asleep but woke up many times, also very early, and could not easily get back to sleep. So I sort of turned this into a habit for a few months that I start my day early and finish it also relatively early. Going to bed early was also good in the beginning because it gave me less chance to consider drinking in the evenings.

I also love the clear-headed mornings. I've seen many people mention this on SR - it makes sense after all that time with hangovers in the mornings.

Keep up the good work
Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think we all turned into morning people...the most annoying people on earth
Old 06-22-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
i think we all turned into morning people...the most annoying people on earth
Haha, indeed we are!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sometimes think about in terms of becoming people of the light, rather people of the dark, we get up early, enjoy the day in the sunlight and go to bed earlier, no longer do we mostly live our lives in the dark at night drinking into the early morning.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful news Easilypleased.

I cringe when I think of how I lived for so long. Curtains drawn, isolating - dreading the dawn. Hard to imagine I didn't see a way out. Happy to hear how well you're doing.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes!
-I was so used to cussing the birds! LOL!
Old 06-22-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

"Mornings" are near the top of my gratitude list every day. If I had kept a resentments list while I was drinking, "mornings" would have been near the top of it! To me, this is the concrete manifestation that sobriety is fundamentally re-ordering my life. I love it. Bring on the chirping birds!