Notices

Day 8

Old 06-21-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8

Physically doing great. Really down today, but I suffer from depression as well, so really nothing new. Plus it rained every day here for the last week...

I feel today as if I am grieving a loss. Does that sound strange? Alcohol was my best friend for so long....now I feel a little lost. At least this is something I really don't feel bad about losing...

Trying to stay busy. I know this will pass. Just wondered if anyone else had similar feelings at one point.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Day 8 is fantastic!! Great Job!!

Yeap, alcohol was a great friend of mine too, and when he was gone, I didn't know what to do with myself and can relate to missing him, I guess it was our comfort zone for soo long, so changing that and coming out of what we know, understandably there will be new emotions and feelings.

However I also keep in mind that my "great friend" would have stabbed me in the back and killed me had he of gotten his way, going our separate ways in the end was a great thing, even though he didn't like the idea.

Keep pushing through!!
Old 06-21-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh yes, most definitely I felt a loss. I had pretty much alienated myself from everyone in the last few months of my drinking, so alcohol was my only friend. Have you read "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Luper,

Welcome to posting on this very supportive forum. Yes, early on the grieving process for alkeehall felt like true grief for a friend and the life that surrounded this friend. I grieved the social connections intensely...it definitely fades as I realize that there is no longer space for 'friends' or 'connections' like those.

My emotions in sobriety are up and down depending on who ever knows what. The good news with this is that I am aware enough throughout every 24hour period of time to feel the feelings change or lift...instead of artificially snuffing them out.

Great job on Day8!! This is fabulous. On down days like you describe, I would pick some good music and walk, clean toilets, pull weeds...anything that would offer me a sense of accomplishment with something to show for it.

***You are doing a Luper-duper job! hee-he-he
Old 06-21-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

maybe you had these feelings all along but you hid it with alcohol. i had some underline issues that assisted me with drinking and gave me good reasons to drink. i think i had a good case of depression.
i also tried to keep busy and even new things that i enjoyed , and that helped me alot. this is a great place that helped me also.
hope you feel better! hope to see you soon