Notices

Sleep Spasms

Old 06-21-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep Spasms

I'm one day into sobriety from heavy alcohol use. Every time I begin to drift off to sleep my I'm awakened by a nervous spasm. I'm afraid these spasms might be a precursor to a seizure. Note these spasms do not occur during the day, only when I'm about to fall asleep. I should also mention that I am on Lexapro, yet go days without taking it. I'm wondering if these spasms have anything to do with SSRI withdrawal.
Any advice is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bignug - welcome

The problem is none of us are Drs, and we can't give you medical advice or make diagnostic guesses here.

You really need to see a Doctor to find out whats going on
Old 06-21-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's not a good idea to skip taking your medication without talkng to your Dr. If I go two days without my Lexapro, I get what I call brain spasms.

I suggest talking with your Dr., especially since you're detoxing. But we all react differently to medication.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi bignut, welcome to SR, to reiterate what Dee and Feenix said, it would be worth visiting your doctor.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, to reiterate what Dee said, we are not qualified to give medical advise, so be cautious of those who give medical advise.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BTW welcome Bignug.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!

A Dr is probably a good idea, just to make sure you're safe!!
Old 06-21-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by bignug View Post
I'm one day into sobriety from heavy alcohol use. Every time I begin to drift off to sleep my I'm awakened by a nervous spasm. I'm afraid these spasms might be a precursor to a seizure. Note these spasms do not occur during the day, only when I'm about to fall asleep. I should also mention that I am on Lexapro, yet go days without taking it. I'm wondering if these spasms have anything to do with SSRI withdrawal.
Any advice is appreciated.
Oh, I had those every time I quit, especially the first and second night. Every time I'd start to drift off there would be bursts of light and sound and terrifying visions and I'd have spasms just as you described. I had often wondered if they were a variation of seizures, but I don't know.

As others have suggested, I would recommend seeing a doctor. He/she can help you through the withdrawal phase.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

are these voluntary or involuntary? see you doc
Old 06-21-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think these 'spasms' are pretty common. They happened to me & a few other people I know, only they aren't in my "situation" , it just happens.

Everyone gets those "AH WHAT WAS THAT?" just when your drifting off - apparently it's you're body thinking it might die & flooding your brain with a chemical to wake you up, fast.

It's a natural thing, but if your body chem is off already because of withdrawal it will obviously increase.
I'm not a doctor and like everyone else said, it's a good idea to see one with your specific situation in mind.

Try some lavender oil on your pillow before bed too