Notices

Detox or sick?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox or sick?

Hi all. I'm on 7 days sober after quitting for a couple of years and then deciding to moderate, hah yeah right. I never made it back up to my previous daily drinking levels but drank two and occasionally three pints of beer daily.

Weirdly, I felt what I drank way more than before and woke up feeling bad experiencing stomach issues each day.

Anyway, the first couple of days after I quit, I just felt anxious and irritable but on day 4 I started feeling sick. It's the kind of feeling where I can't tell if it is detox or if I caught something. I feel hot, cotton headed, slightly nauseous and just wrung out. I have a hard time getting to sleep but once I do, I sleep really hard. I get the emotional fallout that I'm experiencing but I'm confused about feeling sick. I know I was drinking way too much for me but enough to leave me feeling this rough? Is it possible to become more sensitive to alcohol? I didn't feel like this the first time I quit.

I have zero desire to ever drink again. I just hope this sick feeling improves soon.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 7 days! One would think that you are probably past the acute withdrawal phase at a week sober, but everyone is different. I'd suggest seeing a doctor or going to a walk-in clinic if you are concerned.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boleo, that link is an eye opener to be sure.
Scott, yeah, if this gets any worse or doesn't improve in the next day or so I'll do just that.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said to you in the other thread Jean, our immune system takes a beating.
It's common to pick up a bug or a cold or whatever.

Best thing to do is to see your Dr.

Just a reminder to all members - we're not Drs here - please don't offer diagnoses you are not qualified to offer.

D
Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Whatever it is thankfully I am feeling better tonight. I got a walk in this evening which helped mentally and physically.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For me the first week is the withdrawal week and if you're on day 7 or 8 now, chances are the physical withdrawal is behind you, but if you don't feel right, I'd go to the ER and figure out if it's alcohol withdrawal or something else.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepyjean View Post
Thanks Dee. Whatever it is thankfully I am feeling better tonight. I got a walk in this evening which helped mentally and physically.
Is today day 8 for you? Glad to hear you're feeling better.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it's day 8. I just woke up after 10 and a half hours of sleep. It takes forever for me to get to sleep but once I do, man I sleeeeep. I got my username right for sure.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days so far, I hope you're feeling better. Maybe your system's just clearing out. It's good to hear you don't have the desire to drink atm. Sleep is good especially if it's restorative. I would say check with your Doc. to make sure everything's ok and try to get some nutrients and vitamins!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepyjean View Post
Yes, it's day 8. I just woke up after 10 and a half hours of sleep. It takes forever for me to get to sleep but once I do, man I sleeeeep. I got my username right for sure.
You made it through the "week of hell" if you will, so nice job with that.