Notices

Why do we drink alcohol?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why do we drink alcohol?

We have an Allergy of the Body and an Obsession of the mind.
The phenomenon of craving is what sets us alcoholics apart from "normies"

This explains why at the end of the night, you are puking your guts out, past out, can barely walk, can barely talk, but you want more boooooooooooze. Normal people, have a drink or 2, feel whoozing and stop. They say "Hey now, I am feeling a little light headed, let me pour out this full glass of wine and go to bed. We alcoholics tell ourselves, what a waste of alcohol, that person is not normal, what crazy person pours out a full glass of wine. The alcoholic mind set, our drinking has nothing to do with our problem. Its our thinking.

So back on topic, Why do we drink alcohol?

Because we are alcoholics, we drink alcohol to change the way we feel.
We are restless, irritable, and discontent.
We drink for the effect produced by alcohol.
We do not metabolize alcohol the same way a nonalcoholic does.

What must we do?

Firstly we must put down the bottle, put the plug in the jug.
Complete abstinance, no ingestion of alcohol in any form once-so-ever. This means no alcohol in deserts, no alcohol in our foods, no more near-beer (alcohol that is rated at 0.5%), no candy with alcohol in it, no more food that is cooked with alcohol in it, nor no more food that is "flamed" off in the cooking process because it just intensifies the alcohol content. And really why have an alcoholic mindset that tells you "Oh its all burnt off". Ya we alcoholics are funny that way. Put it to ya this way, if we die from Chromium-2000 instantly from a micro-gram of that stuff, and we use Chromium-2000 in our foods, but someone somewhere states "Oh its burnt off" and there is a $12/hour head chef at the helm. I will pass on the burnt off poison each and every time, that is what alcohol is.........a poison. Literally.

How are we to achieve this goal of ours? Of complete and utter abstinane.
Well, just putting down the bottle and putting the plug in the jug is never enough. This has been proven a million times over, countless times. Some PHD nerds from fancy dancy Univercities have stated that "Just Keep Busy", or "Love will be enough" or perhaps something like SMART Recovery might help, where you write out some pros and cons, and do some other work. All I know is the main guy for my region, does AA as well. I have tried most things, tried keeping busy, tried just going to meetings and nothing else, tried relationships and love, tried hobbies, tried this that and the other thing. Nothing could hold down a significant amount of time, and here is the kicker, with a significant amount of peace, serenity and contentment then AA did.

There are many roads to recovery from alcoholism. All I know is that AA, if done properly it will yield the highest success rate of any other program. More then 75% recovery rate from a hopeless state of mind and body. Those are odds I am willing to bet on, day after day, year after year, decade after decade. The other thing I have heard is this thing called Addictive Voice, I dont know but for me a conscience play-by-play, or playing the tape through didnt completely work for me. I still got drunk. My alcoholic tendacies are subconscience, a drink was put in front of me and I didnt even think about it. I didnt even play the tape through, or listen to my inner child, nor did I listen to my addictive voice. I have achieved sobriety today from help from a Higher Power of my own understanding, no human power could keep me sober. So today, if I do not grow, enlarge my spirituality, help other people, If I dont do those simple little things, I am doomed an alcoholic death. I realize today that I have 2 options in life. Live life on a spiritual basis, or die an alcoholic death. And for this alcoholic, I questioned what my 2 options were when my sponsor asked me that question. What are my options again, I didnt want to hear it, I thought there was an easier softer way, I thought there could be half-measures involved.

I have recovered.
And for all the people struggling, I only wish the best for you.
In this zoo of life, trying to find a solution to the problem, with all the confusion around, with all the misinformation around, with all the half @#$ around. I can only wish you the best, you do not have to dig deeper, there is no bottom you have to hit. People recover from alcoholism in their penthouse drinking expensive poison and people recover who are in the ditch drinking Listerine and Rubbing Alcohol.

When is enough going to be enough?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wonder if you read or believe the stuff you write Matt. Most is copied and pasted from AA's Big Book, of which I am a member. However, what is your experience is not my experience, just as it is not the experience of someone else. It may overlap but is unlikely to be the same. So while I may or may not relate to what you write your pontification simply pushes away versus attracts, which is against the spirit of AA.

I am glad you are abstinent and sober but I do for your own sake hope you begin recovering.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have recovered.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

-
Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This reads like a sermon given by a preacher
Old 06-18-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i don't believe that stuff. i don't think it helps in my recovery in anyway. to each their own though.

I just like to stay in reality in my recovery...thinking that i was biologically born different from other people and that is why i got hammered for a few years....that there are 2 different types of people..normies and addicts..one is allergic? its adding a lot of artistic liscence to method
Old 06-18-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my experience AA is many things to many people. The Steps are the core but even they are viewed through the prism of one's own experience. Dogma in AA is not healthy.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
We have an Allergy of the Body and an Obsession of the mind.
The phenomenon of craving is what sets us alcoholics apart from "normies"

This explains why at the end of the night, you are puking your guts out, past out, can barely walk, can barely talk, but you want more boooooooooooze. Normal people, have a drink or 2, feel whoozing and stop. They say "Hey now, I am feeling a little light headed, let me pour out this full glass of wine and go to bed. We alcoholics tell ourselves, what a waste of alcohol, that person is not normal, what crazy person pours out a full glass of wine. The alcoholic mind set, our drinking has nothing to do with our problem. Its our thinking.

So back on topic, Why do we drink alcohol?

Because we are alcoholics, we drink alcohol to change the way we feel.
We are restless, irritable, and discontent.
We drink for the effect produced by alcohol.
We do not metabolize alcohol the same way a nonalcoholic does.

What must we do?

Firstly we must put down the bottle, put the plug in the jug.
Complete abstinance, no ingestion of alcohol in any form once-so-ever. This means no alcohol in deserts, no alcohol in our foods, no more near-beer (alcohol that is rated at 0.5%), no candy with alcohol in it, no more food that is cooked with alcohol in it, nor no more food that is "flamed" off in the cooking process because it just intensifies the alcohol content. And really why have an alcoholic mindset that tells you "Oh its all burnt off". Ya we alcoholics are funny that way. Put it to ya this way, if we die from Chromium-2000 instantly from a micro-gram of that stuff, and we use Chromium-2000 in our foods, but someone somewhere states "Oh its burnt off" and there is a $12/hour head chef at the helm. I will pass on the burnt off poison each and every time, that is what alcohol is.........a poison. Literally.

How are we to achieve this goal of ours? Of complete and utter abstinane.
Well, just putting down the bottle and putting the plug in the jug is never enough. This has been proven a million times over, countless times. Some PHD nerds from fancy dancy Univercities have stated that "Just Keep Busy", or "Love will be enough" or perhaps something like SMART Recovery might help, where you write out some pros and cons, and do some other work. All I know is the main guy for my region, does AA as well. I have tried most things, tried keeping busy, tried just going to meetings and nothing else, tried relationships and love, tried hobbies, tried this that and the other thing. Nothing could hold down a significant amount of time, and here is the kicker, with a significant amount of peace, serenity and contentment then AA did.

There are many roads to recovery from alcoholism. All I know is that AA, if done properly it will yield the highest success rate of any other program. More then 75% recovery rate from a hopeless state of mind and body. Those are odds I am willing to bet on, day after day, year after year, decade after decade. The other thing I have heard is this thing called Addictive Voice, I dont know but for me a conscience play-by-play, or playing the tape through didnt completely work for me. I still got drunk. My alcoholic tendacies are subconscience, a drink was put in front of me and I didnt even think about it. I didnt even play the tape through, or listen to my inner child, nor did I listen to my addictive voice. I have achieved sobriety today from help from a Higher Power of my own understanding, no human power could keep me sober. So today, if I do not grow, enlarge my spirituality, help other people, If I dont do those simple little things, I am doomed an alcoholic death. I realize today that I have 2 options in life. Live life on a spiritual basis, or die an alcoholic death. And for this alcoholic, I questioned what my 2 options were when my sponsor asked me that question. What are my options again, I didnt want to hear it, I thought there was an easier softer way, I thought there could be half-measures involved.

I have recovered.
And for all the people struggling, I only wish the best for you.
In this zoo of life, trying to find a solution to the problem, with all the confusion around, with all the misinformation around, with all the half @#$ around. I can only wish you the best, you do not have to dig deeper, there is no bottom you have to hit. People recover from alcoholism in their penthouse drinking expensive poison and people recover who are in the ditch drinking Listerine and Rubbing Alcohol.

When is enough going to be enough?
The first half of your post actually contains some of the confusion, misinformation ann @#$ you seem to decry. It's great that you have recovered and found a solution, but zealotry and dismissal of other options is not helping anyone.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have recovered.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tend to agree with that part. I think we are born different, and when combined with alcohol abuse become alcoholics.

I disagree with the notion that AA is clearly better than other recovery methods. Different things work for different people. Find it very hard to believe that AA has a 75 percent success rate. Unfortunately the percentages of people that stay recovered is a lot lower than that but doesn't mean we can't all beat those odds.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

75% rate..the the manipulation required for obtaining a statistic like that is nothing short of elegance

is this a troll thread? just want to make sure
Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why do we drink alcohol? Seriously?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
-
+1
Old 06-18-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Men and women drink essentially, because they like the effects produced by alcohol.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

IMO, it's not good to imply AA/NA is the only way or the best way to get sober. Some people are unable to achieve sobriety thru the 12-Steps, even when they work those steps honestly and diligently (the 75% success rate is speculation, and it can't be proven). So if an alcoholic/addict does not achieve sobriety through a 12-Step program, they may just give up--because afterall, if the 12-Steps didn't get them sober, nothing will.

Matt, I do appreciate and respect that you achieved sobriety through AA and the Steps, but your over the top promotion of AA is not productive IMO. It's fine to suggest that sufferers try AA, and it's fine to help people who are in AA/NA, but to continue on with the hardline preaching is not a good thing in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaidenNZ View Post
Why do we drink alcohol? Seriously?
I can't speak for others, but I drank for one primary reason: I liked the high, I liked how alcohol made me feel. I didn't drink because I was depressed, anxious; had resentments or because I was attempting to escape life in some way, I just wanted to enjoy the nice feeling alcohol gave me.

And for many years, drinking worked for me, that is until it turned on me and I had to pay a very heavy price in horrible consequences for those few hours of bliss.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by matt4x4
some phd nerds from fancy dancy univercities have stated that "just keep busy", or "love will be enough" or perhaps something like smart recovery might help, where you write out some pros and cons, and do some other work.
in this zoo of life, trying to find a solution to the problem, with all the confusion around, with all the misinformation around, with all the half @#$ around. I can only wish you the best

4. No flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another online forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
d
Old 06-18-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
I can't speak for others, but I drank for one primary reason: I liked the high, I liked how alcohol made me feel. I didn't drink because I was depressed, anxious; had resentments or because I was attempting to escape life in some way, I just wanted to enjoy the nice feeling alcohol gave me.

And for many years, drinking worked for me, that is until it turned on me and I had to pay a very heavy price in horrible consequences for those few hours of bliss.
There it is.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I have recovered.
The day I say this to myself is probably the day I am in trouble. For me, I will always be in recovery. I am just speaking for me though.

Why did I drink? Because I love getting drunk and not having to live in reality for the time that I am.

FR said it best!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Matt4X4

You have mentioned the 75% success rate in AA before. Could you please site the resources you used to come up with this percentage? Thanks