Notices

Anyone try transcendental meditation?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone try transcendental meditation?

Just curious if anyone's tried it, or have heard of anyone trying it, and what your thoughts are on it? I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes I did years ago along with my yoga practice. Trance meditation is done frequently to achieve a shift in consciousness. My meditation practice became part of my life..i would do

sitting meditations at times for over an hour. I achieved altered states from my practice..higher consciousness. i didn't have anyone in real life to truly discuss my experiences..so after my awakening i shut it down and never looked back. with intent and awareness of ego i beleive anybody can achieve things I did through meditation
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Not worth the money - spend $10 for a guided meditation CD. TM in my area charges $1K to teach you how to listen to yourself.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I took a class in college (no credits). Read some books. Listened to some tapes (cassettes not 8-tracks). Spent a lot of time in the lotus position. Hummed a bunch of mantras. No results.

About 20 years later I listened to a audio book (CD this time) by Deepak Chopra describing what he called "The Gap". No results there either. Till about 6 months later. Then one day while reading a very dull book, my mind stopped. No chatter. No images. No desire for anything. I would describe it as 100% concentration with 0% expectation.

Since then I have read about similar experiences with Vipassana meditation, Shoshin and ZaZen.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Elphaba, I tried (maybe superficially) in the past but it did not seem to work for me. I do like some methods of repetition in my practices, but I mainly use a sound approach - listening to the same audio tunes on repeat.

My favorite is Vipassana, but I'm still learning the basic practices that I think, and my teacher thinks, are essential for even touching the surface of a Vipassana practice.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Mindfulness In Plain English
Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am not an actually practiced in what I'm about to say so take it with a grain of salt !

My brother who is actually a practicing Buddhist told me upon questioning that most times if something is hung under the umbrella of "transcendental meditation" it is about making money.

But like I said just telling you what was told to me. I'm still having trouble with any sort of meditation
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've tried things like that in the past, never lasted more than a couple of days. To be frank, I find it boring and tedious to sit and meditate like that, in fact, most forms of meditation are really hard for me.

I would recommend exposing yourself to some modern day teachers such as Adyashanti, Eckhart Tolle, Mooji or Byron Katie. All of them have really good things to say.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I try to meditate , I find it hard but the times where I actually get into it I feel a lot better emotionally
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I read a book about it in early sobriety and it scared the crap out me . Didn't sound like something I was cut out for. Not sayin it ain't good for others, but definitely not something I wanted to get into. My kundalini is fine just where it is.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
I read a book about it in early sobriety and it scared the crap out me . Didn't sound like something I was cut out for. Not sayin it ain't good for others, but definitely not something I wanted to get into. My kundalini is fine just where it is.

you don't know the half of it joe. joe is right though..these practices like yoga and different types of meditation..seperated for marketing as noted....are spiritual practices and not really for getting nice buns or staying "balanced', they are trendy. people will rip you off. I remember them charging me $100 dollars for a yoga mat..i'm not kidding. If you truly want this you have to know what you are getting into. It's for spiritual reasons..which doesn't always mean peace and namaste and a white dude with dreadlocks that has deep knowledge of organic farming. this stuff is real. they aren't many people in real life you can discuss it with without angering them or making them think you are a flake.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been doing it for some years now. I tried some free meditations first but they were pretty much a time sink. I find the TM experience to be very profound right from the beginning. I know its expensive and everyone's looking for a substitute or a short cut but in my life I've found that you get what you pay for and this the best thing around. My drinking started out as a crutch for anxiety in social situations especially with women. The TM has given me a lot more confidence and when I do get anxious and nervous now I'm able to stay the course and work through it. It's be great for me and I recommend it to friends.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried it many many years ago, I think 3 sessions..nah Nothing...

I have tried meditation. It comes so highly recommended from so many varied sources, still can not meditate....I am a great day dreamer though!!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Did Zen Mindfulness on and off for a few years but I fell out of practice. It was good for stress management IMO.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I meditate to help me fall asleep! :-)
Old 06-20-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I got my mantra through TM many years ago and practiced regularly. When I went away to college I stopped ( drinking took it's place I guess) and never really started again. I would like to practice again but it really bugs me how much the TM center wants to charge for a checkup. I just read in the wash post that many bankers are taking up TM. Sure, they can afford it!