Notices

Caffeine and sugar will lead to relapse

Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Is sugar as bad for your liver as salt is if there is some damage? I only hear about limiting salt intake but never sugar and most fruit has sugar and that is encouraged. Prob. processed sugar is bad
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Hey all

I was surfing youtube the other night and watched this short video by a doctor who was criticising AA. She was saying that AA causes folks to relapse as it promoted caffeine and sweets (i.e., sugar) as substitutes for alcohol. However, all those products did was to act as placebos and sets up a person for relapse.

According to her AA and the Big Book promoted caffeine and sugar as substitutes. Now, I have been to hundreds of AA rooms and have never heard of such items being promoted as substitutes. Also, I do have the Big Book but I dont remember reading about this either.

The doctor went on to say that alcoholism was a physiological disorder and that the proper diet would help overcome the addiction. Guess whose book she was promoting

I switched off mentally in relation to 90% of what she said as I know otherwise.

However, I am curious to know about caffeine and sugar being potential aids to relapse ? I do drink a lot of coffee in the morning and do enjoy sweets (though that has tapered off lately).

I would be interested to hear any insights on this !

Have a brilliant day and much love to all !

K
I'll occasionally have tea in the morning or mid-afternoon, but I generally try to steer clear of too much caffeine. It messes with my brain chemistry and moods. Either of those being off can increase the chances of me drinking in my opinion. Caffeine is a drug, some people forget that. I just think it's best for me to keep caffeine use to a minimal. Not sure about sugar though, although I do think eating healthy is a good way to be sober.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

How interesting. I should see this video. Where can it be found?
Old 06-17-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

At an AA meeting tonight they were actively encouraging people to gorge on sweets as a means of staving off the urge to drink. I didn't speak up as it was my first time there, but was bursting to say it has the exact opposite effect on me! Indulging my sweet tooth not only makes my heart pound too hard and too fast but it almost always makes me crave alcohol. My body is getting the sugar that alcohol once gave me, but not the effects of the alcohol it is expecting. Just about every "relapse" has been preceded by unbridled indulgence in sweets. I think I'm probably not the only one who sees it as a "gateway drug."
Old 06-17-2014, 07:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Sometimes when I drink coffee I get really anxious and that makes me want alcohol to calm me down but I'm pretty sure I'm caffeine sensitive so I don't drink it very often.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The nice thing about caffeine and sugar is I'm actually able to moderate my intake of both of them. I don't see it as an issue although I make sure especially not to overindulge in sugar as if you don't already know it's not healthy. Probably the single greatest cause of Americas obesity problem.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:27 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

When I was locked up in the laughing academy all the inmates were given a jug of sweet orange juice to help with dry horrors and cravings. That was the medical practice at the time. Most newly sober alcoholics seem to have a sweet tooth and I have heard it suggested in AA that it's a good idea to have something sweet if you get a craving. This is about very early days though.

AA floats on coffee. There would be a few million recovered alcoholics that would disagree with the idea that coffee cause relapses. I don't drink coffee anymore, bad for my sleep, but the standard alkie brew in my part of the world was with milk and two sugars.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Of course, everyone's metabolism is different. I don't drink coffee very often, but kind of enjoyed it a bit in early sobriety....til I realised my worst cravings coincided with the days I'd had coffee.

Finally realised, the "coming down" effect after the caffeine hit, was mimicking a hangover....and I'd then get a strong urge to drink.

Cut coffee out completely because I did end up having a slip and cut out everything bad.....now I think my body has adjusted, coffee doesn't knock me around, the first time I got sober, it did.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
~sb

I haven't had a problem in the last 3 years.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

8 days into withdrawl and I had a Panic attack, something that hasn`t happened to me since I started drinking some 30 years ago.
happily I was in my Lab (I always feel safe in there), and having a good day feeling generall cheerful, so I only had the symptoms and non of the actual "panic".
when drinking I was on 1 liter of fresh ground black coffee every morning for breakfast for years, it was the only way to get anything civil out of me in the morning LOL

when I quit the booze my brain chems were still upregulated, and so the coffee on top of that screwed me up with no alcohol to combat it either.

I switched to decafe, 1 week and many headaches later, all`s back to "normal" again, no booze no cafeine, and just as happy
Old 06-18-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

We're all exactly the same and the same things work the exact same way for all of us.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
Of course, everyone's metabolism is different. I don't drink coffee very often, but kind of enjoyed it a bit in early sobriety....til I realised my worst cravings coincided with the days I'd had coffee.

Finally realised, the "coming down" effect after the caffeine hit, was mimicking a hangover....and I'd then get a strong urge to drink.

Cut coffee out completely because I did end up having a slip and cut out everything bad.....now I think my body has adjusted, coffee doesn't knock me around, the first time I got sober, it did.
This is sort of how I view coffee. I try to stick to tea, too much caffeine is just bad for me and messes with my moods (i.e. increases cravings and chances I will drink).