Notices

Caffeine and sugar will lead to relapse

Old 06-16-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have sugar issues and have cut way back. Eating my sugar in the form of fruits now, on the paleo diet. Still drinking about four cups of coffee per day which I'm ok with but probably need to cut down to 1-2 cups. I do think my metabolism is sensitive to both sugar and caffeine. And I can see this tying into PAWS and even a relapse. So ideally, it's probably best to cut out most processed sugar as well as caffeine. Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I agree with others that I personally find there is a connection between my sugar and carb consumption/cravings and my alcohol consumption/cravings. When I was drinking, if I wanted to stop drinking early in the night I would eat sugary food and that would sort of hit the same spot and I would go to bed not feeling deprived or frustrated.

When I quit drinking, I allowed myself to eat junk food with little to no restriction for about the first 2 months. After that (and of course gaining weight during that time) I have started a low-sugar low-carb, high vegetable and lean protein eating plan (_State of Slim_ is the book I'm following.)

I'm finding that with dramatically reduced carbs/sugar, I have way less desire to eat junk food or to drink. My mood overall seems much more stable.

I haven't given up caffeine, though I would imagine doing so would contribute even further to that feeling of stable mood & blood sugar. Still, a girl's gotta have at least one vice!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that chocolate was a good one to substitute booze.
I'm hooked on it now!
I'll eat about half a block and then feel sick.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting responses. Thanks ! It seems like a mixed bag. Maybe I should cut back on my sugar (says he after just eating some yoghurt, banana and a tim tam).
Old 06-17-2014, 01:15 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Grateful

It was suggested to me during my early days in sobriety to eat some chocolate if I was having strong cravings for alcohol. Notice that was for early in sobriety. Alcohol has a ton of sugar in it, so when you stop drinking abruptly your sugar levels are going to be out of whack. I noticed that my craving for sweets slowly returned to normal over the first few months as my sugar levels balanced out. It sounds like this person took some information with a smidgen of truth in it and exaggerated it wildly for her own benefit.

As far as caffeine goes I don't think I fit the norm. I can go for weeks or months drinking several cups of coffee a day and then go weeks or months without drinking any. Lately I've been struggling with insomnia so I haven't had any coffee for a couple of months (I will have a diet coke when I wake up -- then water / juice / low cal gatorade).

If having coffee and cookies available at meetings constitutes "promoting" caffeine and sugar then most of the meetings I attend are guilty.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

***Announcement***

You can pry my Coke Zero and my chocolate bar out of my cold dead sober hands.

Thank you and have a nice day
Old 06-17-2014, 03:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

no espresso and tiramisu?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Isn't chocolate good for the skin and liver. Or technically "cocoa".
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey, thats 2 of my food groups.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

sugar caffeine and cheese
Old 06-17-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Chocolate is great with high >90 Cocao content. Milk Chocolate is actually really bad for you. The history is chocolate in the form we know it today was refined by Nestle and Lindt. Most chocolate only has 35% cocao content. Pure Cocao fights free radicals in our bodies and is actually a super food.

Sugar is not bad. Processed sugar is. I have removed all processed foods from my diet seven months ago. The results are quite amazing. I am down 35lbs, body fat dropped from 25% to about 15% and continue to trade fat for muscle. My energy level is high, although I also try to nap in the middle of the day, as naps stimulate human growth hormone release.

You may want to look into removing wheat. I also removed all wheat based products (flour, gluten etc).

I have tried to remove all genetically modified organisms from my diet. GMOs are created by a laboratory process that transfers genetic material into the DNA of an organism. There are nine genetically modified (GM) food crops currently on the market: soy, corn, cotton (oil), canola (oil), sugar from sugar beets, zucchini, yellow squash, Hawaiian papaya, and alfalfa. Notice that wheat is not one of these. Although wheat has been hybridized through natural breeding techniques over the years, it is not in fact a GMO.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I partially credit copious amounts of frozen M&Ms to my early sobriety. Eventually the sugar cravings eased to a more socially acceptable level.

I love coffee; I can't say that coffee was a trigger or contributor to my drinking; drank it before, during and after my drinking career but usually only in the morning (and I never drank in the morning).

As to this doctor's theory, I think that LBrain hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

So strange how there are so many extremes. I don't deal with sugar cravings at all, I don't vomit through withdrawls or get headaches. Anxiety and Insomnia are my 2 hot buttons. I even read that some people can go through alcohol withdrawl for a year. I cant imagine that.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
Hey all

I was surfing youtube the other night and watched this short video by a doctor who was criticising AA. She was saying that AA causes folks to relapse as it promoted caffeine and sweets (i.e., sugar) as substitutes for alcohol. However, all those products did was to act as placebos and sets up a person for relapse.

According to her AA and the Big Book promoted caffeine and sugar as substitutes. Now, I have been to hundreds of AA rooms and have never heard of such items being promoted as substitutes. Also, I do have the Big Book but I dont remember reading about this either.

The doctor went on to say that alcoholism was a physiological disorder and that the proper diet would help overcome the addiction. Guess whose book she was promoting

I switched off mentally in relation to 90% of what she said as I know otherwise.

However, I am curious to know about caffeine and sugar being potential aids to relapse ? I do drink a lot of coffee in the morning and do enjoy sweets (though that has tapered off lately).

I would be interested to hear any insights on this !

Have a brilliant day and much love to all !

K
Is she an alcoholic? Has she tried sweets and coffee? Clearly she isn't and hasn't or she would realize how stupid she sounds. Lol. Ice cream saved me from drinking on many late nights in early sobriety. I do limit my sugar these days, but it does help with cravings.

Besides, I have never heard of anyone dying from candy or coffee, so that woman needs to find a new hobby.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The first few weeks I was sober, I found I had sugar cravings. But I'd eat a healthy snack and drink a couple of glasses of water and the sugar craving would disappear. Turned out I just had low blood sugar and wasn't used to eating regular, healthy meals. I read that low blood sugar levels can cause PAWS symptoms to flare up. So I tried to eat regular meals and have healthy snacks in between to keep my blood sugar level. My sugar cravings disappeared completely in 2 weeks or so.

I also noticed in the early days that I didn't get to feeling 'hungry' really, but would notice my moods going wonky- I'd become easily stressed and emotional. If I had a snack then, I'd feel much better. Again, I really just had low blood sugar but wasn't used to interpretting that as being 'hungry'.

Alcohol not only lacks nutrients but also makes our bodies less effecient at processing the nutrients we do get. So, most of us are malnourished when we first quit. Eating as much healthy food as possible helps our brains and bodies to heal more quickly.

If ice cream or other sweets help, then I certainly think that's better than drinking. But I personally would recommend eating a healthy snack and having a glass of water when a sugar craving hits and then eating something sweet if the snack doesn't 'cure' it.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Once when I quit drinking - it was in October so there was lots of Halloween candy available in the stores - I devoured an entire bag of candy corn! Now, that stuff is nasty, really, but I love the taste and could not stop eating it! I can get just as out of control with sweets as I do with booze. Makes sense, since booze is derived from sugar. I get cravings for sugar and start shaking, just as I would if I craved a drink.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Unless I'm adding Irish whiskey to my coffee, it's no concern to me nor has it created a desire for a drink.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

A lot of alcoholics have issues with hypoglycemia and I think the key is balance.
As far as that lady doctor goes, if she is the same one who says she can cure mental illness through nutrition, her and her clinic have quite a few scam reports filed on them and from reading them she sounds more like a money hungry quack than a physician.
I drank a lot of coffee and ate a lot of cheese in early sobriety (my cravings were for cheese not for sugar) but now I have stabilized. Caffeine did not trigger me.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

When I hear or read any of the the Promises in AA literature, I think of coffee. Even decaf coffee makes me happy.

I'm also a huge fan of chocolate frosting.

I could never enjoy simple things like that while drinking.

I have not taken a punch or passed out in all my years of sobriety, which involves a fair amount of indulging in coffee and chocolate frosting.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hiya Kane , no one , and I mean NOONE could possibly have come close to downing as much sugar as I have the past 6 months !

It's never made me crave alcohol ...just more sugar :