Notices

What do you do for employment?

Old 06-16-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you do for employment?

I am curious as we know alcohol can wreak havoc on job performance. At least it has for me. Not a good combo to not have to be in an office from 8-5 and have a drinking problem. It catches up to you. I made good money right out of college but slowly saw my career move backwards. I have been interviewing and got a job offer in outside sales.Base plus commission. The money is not that great at least compared to what i made before. I feel like I am starting my career over. Only problem is I am in my mid 30's. This would be a fine job if I was 24 and just getting the experience. I always try to think of my next career move as in sales, sometimes experience can hurt you. Everyone wants the young energetic good looking kid.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

I feel like I am starting my career over. Only problem is I am in my mid 30's.
I'm in software development. If i loose my current gig i'll be starting all over again. My skills are behind the times. I stuck with the same place too long that never kept up with technology. I did it out of convienance / lack of anything better. I no longer like the field and really wanna be in it. But it terrifys me that i'll be starting all over somewhere when / if i loose this gig.

BUT in my case thank god for this particular gig. because since I work remotely I was able to sober up and get healthy and there none the wiser. I was able to keep a check flowing in throughout the whole ordeal and somehow skate under the radar even tho my performance in my opinion has been garbage.

In my case I'm eager to start over excited about the idea of doing something different looking forward to something new and different and hopefully something that fits me better. But I wont be excited about the pay that will go along with the new whatever it is.

My point would be to try and focus on the good aspects of it even if there not so great somtimes making them out to be better then they are helps pass the time so you can stomach it better. and who knows what tommorrow might bring anyhow.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, looks lie you have to start over again in your career,. i had to also. yea i had to take a big pay drop, but over time it grew.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would advise everyone to choose a career path or adjust existing profession based on their subjective preferences: what we are truly drawn to from the heart. Find personal meaning in our profession. We spend so much time with work, it can be a painful struggle to spend it with an activity that we despise... I think it's much easier to build a successful career on such an internal motivation even if one's primary aim is to make money with it. So for those of us who lost jobs due to addiction, this time in recovery might be an opportunity to re-evaluate what we truly like and want in life.

I don't think it's ever late to follow our heart, sometimes it just takes more effort, time, and focus. And compromises.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some folks start their careers over in their 40s, even 50s. You are literally a "greenhorn" when it comes to sales If you are good at sales, you can sell anything - and you can literally make as much money as you could ever want eventually. I worked inside sales and then outside sales in the technology industry for several years and it was a fast paced but fun job.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Imagine being in a very specialized field and find out it is over. At 55 it won't be easy to start fresh. Especially when I did nothing to further my education along the way. I mean, I was set for life. Why bother thinking about other things? Well, looks like I was wrong. 2mil in lost revenue over the next 5-8 years then retire. OOPS!
Almost everything now requires a degree in that field. I can't even be a park ranger unless I have a degree in it.
If I could go back twenty years and start over - you have a lot of time to fix your life. Make the best of it. Choose something you will enjoy and not be miserable doing just to make a buck. I'll be lucky to find a good paying job that would be at least a 100K pay cut. This time around I'll have my sense about me when I decide to sign the paperwork.
If that paper is ever offered to me. I was fortunate enough to make retirement age before they fired me. Not enough to live on, but I'll survive. I'm happier now than when I was working.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The end of my seventeen and half years at the same company was the start of my sobriety. It was a blessing in disguise.

It took me a year to find work and another two years working at the new company before I could see how much my drinking effected my job.

I make about $10,000 less then I did before I lost my job but I am happier. The loss of that job made me see what is really important in life. They are not going to chisel my resume on my headstone.

I come to work, do the job the best to my ability and I go home. I do not take my work home with me.

I do not get involved in office politics, gossip mills, rumor ramblings or anything of the like. I talk with people and I am friendly but to be honest, I am not there to make friends. I am there to do a job. I live my life outside the 6:30 to 3pm time slot.

I work in the health care industry, prescription insurance coverage determinations.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
The end of my seventeen and half years at the same company was the start of my sobriety. It was a blessing in disguise.

It took me a year to find work and another two years working at the new company before I could see how much my drinking effected my job.

I make about $10,000 less then I did before I lost my job but I am happier. The loss of that job made me see what is really important in life. They are not going to chisel my resume on my headstone.

I come to work, do the job the best to my ability and I go home. I do not take my work home with me.

I do not get involved in office politics, gossip mills, rumor ramblings or anything of the like. I talk with people and I am friendly but to be honest, I am not there to make friends. I am there to do a job. I live my life outside the 6:30 to 3pm time slot.

I work in the health care industry, prescription insurance coverage determinations.
I came from the health care industry where I sold Durable Medical Equipment
Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am worried that now I will have 3 seperate fields on my resume. Its hard to act like something didn't go wrong. Most employers like to see an upward progression, not a backwards one.

Some dude at AA acted like I should tell employers about alcohol problem. Umm, that may fly at Burger King, but in the competitive corporate world, not so much. Of course he was a drug dealer in his former life. Haha
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

As I mentioned in your thread a few weeks back haennie, I'm still undecided on what I actually enjoy, or would enjoy working as. At present I don't dislike my job, but it doesn't give me any fulfilment and definitely no personal meaning to my life, I'm pretty neutral about it, it pays the bills at the end of the month.

I went last week to a coffee shop and sat down with a pen and paper to figure a few things out, one thing was my work life, I wrestled with the pros and cons of where I am, what I enjoy, what would I enjoy even more, and it was a very tough task, because I'm not too sure what I would enjoy in a workplace environment.

I'm only in my early 30s, so maybe I just need time to figure out what I actually would enjoy in my working week, for the time being I don't dislike what I do, I'm good at my job, don't cringe at getting up in the morning, I guess that's a start, but I work to enjoy my interests outside of work, in itself it doesn't give me anything more than that at the moment.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

I would advise everyone to choose a career path or adjust existing profession based on their subjective preferences: what we are truly drawn to from the heart. Find personal meaning in our profession. We spend so much time with work, it can be a painful struggle to spend it with an activity that we despise... I think it's much easier to build a successful career on such an internal motivation even if one's primary aim is to make money with it. So for those of us who lost jobs due to addiction, this time in recovery might be an opportunity to re-evaluate what we truly like and want in life.

I don't think it's ever late to follow our heart, sometimes it just takes more effort, time, and focus. And compromises.
Aint that the truth!! you gotta spend 40 hours a week doing it at least you had better be happy with whatever it is!!

If / when i loose my gig it'll be a blessing in disguise that i know for sure! it'll be bitter sweet.

I woudlnt divulge alcohol abuse on or something to a perpective employer. But I was onc eout of work and when i filled out an application at a gas station I had to put my past employment down. I wanted to lie. I new the manager there handed in my application and said I had ot be honest but looking at my background and past salaries what goes through your mind if you didnt know me. He said i'd wonder why in gods name your applying here when you could make that kinda money!!. I said yeah well those jobs i cant seem to find so here i am!

But its sad when yo go form a high paid profession and all you want is a job waiting tables and they see your application and past job history and they dont bother calling you I guess cause you very well might take off to a better paying gig. When really you just gotta eat like anyone else!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm encouraged by peoples positive words about starting over tho. Thats how I feel deep down but I get flack from other people who think i'm insane when i mention I'll have to start over. They seem to think theres a job right around the corner for someone like me but they dont understand my circumstances. I'll be starting over it'll sting in my wallet but i'll be estatic otherwise.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I'm encouraged by peoples positive words about starting over tho. Thats how I feel deep down but I get flack from other people who think i'm insane when i mention I'll have to start over. They seem to think theres a job right around the corner for someone like me but they dont understand my circumstances. I'll be starting over it'll sting in my wallet but i'll be estatic otherwise.
It's very important to remember that what "other people think" is mostly irrelevant. You KNOW what your strengths are, you know what your situation is, and you are the one that will be working at whatever career you choose for a good amount of time. It's certainly OK to seek advice, but keep in mind that most of it is just opinion- you make the decision that's best for you at the end of the day.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I find "pennys from heaven" flowing into my life all the time now. Not that I'm bragging... There just pennys.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

It's very important to remember that what "other people think" is mostly irrelevant. You KNOW what your strengths are, you know what your situation is, and you are the one that will be working at whatever career you choose for a good amount of time. It's certainly OK to seek advice, but keep in mind that most of it is just opinion- you make the decision that's best for you at the end of the day.
aint that the truth! thats just it in the end I'm the one that has to sit in the boat for 40+ hours a week paddleing Im the one that needs to be content and happy. I'm the one that needs to have a job that fits me and the needs of my family etc.. What everyone else has to say is just opinion. The stinky part tho is when you find yourself out of work sometimes your at the mercy of these other people and there opinions so you feel like you gotta at least smile and nod for them since they might be the ones putting food on your table at the current moment in time. (been there before) But what can ya do I'll just play along till i figure out the mess when the time comes.

In the meantime i keep doing what i'm doing and i got my ears open for new opportunities.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's always important to set realistic goals while still trying to do what we like. And of course setting realistic goals involves a complex assessment of factors involved in our decisions. Chasing dreams blindly without considering reality can also lead to disheartening series of rejections... Maybe consult a career coach if that's affordable. Many can also do assessment on our natural preferences and talents using a variety of psych testing methods (I learned a lot from such assessments when I was younger). I have some of my students do those assessments now and they usually love it.

I personally talked with lots and lots of people (many that knew me well) about careers since college and have found it helpful. In my case basically most (if not all) people suggested the same or very similar career path for me throughout my life.

Yes, Purpleknight, I think your approach is also good. Like recovery" whatever works for someone. If you can keep up with it and are happy, that's the whole point.

For me, the reason why I talk about following our interests is because that's the only way I can do it effectively and that's what works best in my profession. My motivation comes primarily from my own interests. External expectations or pure practicality do little to motivate me. If I don't find "myself" in a job, I won't do it and will let everything fall apart and I'll suffer. But this is just one possible approach, of course.

Definitely don't tell an employer about the alcohol/drug problems if you are in recovery unless telling them is beneficial for the job somehow, but I think that's rarely the case.

I think a good balance between challenge and security is also good to follow. I've personally been a bit of a risk taker in my whole life but appreciate the security factor much better now. Here is where it comes handy to know "who we are", how much risk we should sensibly take without breaking.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sure most of us want money, especially to put some food in our bellies, a roof over our heads, and maybe even to save a few crumbs, but don't discount the quality of life aspect. I say this as a capitalist; I've owned my own company for almost 20 years and my wife for about half that time was a consultant although she now works for a large corporation. We do not want to be poor and work very hard, but chasing that last dollar isn't our highest priority. When my wife was contemplating taking her current position, as well as some others in the past, we always considered how our lives would be affected. The incremental amount of money that other positions would pay was not worth the upheaval of our family life. The end result is that we have two wonderful kids and we're happy.

Stepping off my soap box, I'll also add that clearly this is a personal choice that every person and family has to make. What works for me and my wife won't necessarily work for others.

Lastly, don't think that in your early 30's you're too old. Good luck with your decisions.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I'm in software development. If i loose my current gig i'll be starting all over again. My skills are behind the times. I stuck with the same place too long that never kept up with technology. I did it out of convienance / lack of anything better. I no longer like the field and really wanna be in it. But it terrifys me that i'll be starting all over somewhere when / if i loose this gig.

BUT in my case thank god for this particular gig. because since I work remotely I was able to sober up and get healthy and there none the wiser. I was able to keep a check flowing in throughout the whole ordeal and somehow skate under the radar even tho my performance in my opinion has been garbage.

In my case I'm eager to start over excited about the idea of doing something different looking forward to something new and different and hopefully something that fits me better. But I wont be excited about the pay that will go along with the new whatever it is.

My point would be to try and focus on the good aspects of it even if there not so great somtimes making them out to be better then they are helps pass the time so you can stomach it better. and who knows what tommorrow might bring anyhow.
zjw - take a look at Microsoft Training Classes | Cisco Networking Training Courses | Oracle Training | CCNA Courses

technology training in india for low cost, might help you transition into a diferent tech stack
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about the "young, energetic, good looking kid" thing in the sales biz. I'm 48, bald, 40 lbs. over weight (I'm working on it though) etc. , but they keep me around because I consistently outsell the other sales people at our company. My secret weapon is my sobriety, and my faith and my integrity and genuine care for clients. I think it shines through. I always try to have an attitude of service as well. Sales is a great job to apply all the recovery tools.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kllme View Post
I am worried that now I will have 3 seperate fields on my resume. Its hard to act like something didn't go wrong. Most employers like to see an upward progression, not a backwards one.

Some dude at AA acted like I should tell employers about alcohol problem. Umm, that may fly at Burger King, but in the competitive corporate world, not so much. Of course he was a drug dealer in his former life. Haha
Lots of people I know from the 'competitive corporate world' have CV's that cover a variety of fields.

The 20th century idea of having one job or one field and sticking to it seems to be no longer the norm - at least in my country.

And, for what it's worth, I know people with multiple degrees working at Burger King too.

Sometimes we have to take a hit to the ego if we want to put food on the table.

D