Notices

What do you do for employment?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

I've been a self employed IT consultant since 1996. I had jobs in the field for a few years before. I was fired at my last job and took it as an opportunity to go out on my own and haven't looked back. I don't know what I would do if it went away. I'll find out if it ever comes to that.

I used to sleep in abandoned buildings and park benches. When I got sober I was on welfare and living in a halfway house. My first sober job, I cleaned toilets for minimum wage. If you told me then what I would be doing now, I would have told you that you're out of your mind. We never know life has to offer.

-allan
Old 06-16-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I own a bistro and beer garden.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm a Masters Student doing English Literature.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I get paid to study.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I sell websites and software, train people how to use the software, and fix various issues with computers remotely. Depends on the day.

It's not bad but I'm startin to think I need a job that allows me to be outside instead of cooped up in an office. Maybe park ranger, lumberjack? Haha. If someone has the connection to get me a job walking around a national park let me know
Old 06-18-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I`m an electonics design engineer and run my own business that deals with the design, manufacture and retail of bespoke embedded systems.
but this wasn`t always the case, I`m now into my second year of business, but before that I was unemployed for decades due to a motorbike accident.
Most of my worst drinking was done during this time, although I`m sure that wasn`t the reason, and most likely just one of a few hundred excuses I used for drinking.

I will say however that working for myself in a job that I love doing has been instrumental in my recovery and descision to stop drinking.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm a self employed artist, mostly screenprinting tee shirts for local businesses. I used to be more of an automotive writer but it stopped paying as well as it used to and I didn't really like it anyways so I pretty much quit that.

My dad made a lot of money and I'm glad that he gets to live in a big house and drive new cars. I'm glad that he paid for my education so I'm not in debt. I'm also glad that I don't have to work all the time like he did. I love seeing my kids for hours every day.

I don't make a ton of money but I try to make it count. I'd much rather give a friend twenty bucks than pay someone else to make my coffee for a week. I'd rather race my cars than pay for beer or cigarettes. I try not to be stupid with my money but it's hard.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I would advise everyone to choose a career path or adjust existing profession based on their subjective preferences: what we are truly drawn to from the heart. Find personal meaning in our profession. We spend so much time with work, it can be a painful struggle to spend it with an activity that we despise... I think it's much easier to build a successful career on such an internal motivation even if one's primary aim is to make money with it. So for those of us who lost jobs due to addiction, this time in recovery might be an opportunity to re-evaluate what we truly like and want in life.

I don't think it's ever late to follow our heart, sometimes it just takes more effort, time, and focus. And compromises.
I've tended to perform very well in every job I've taken, in spite of daily drinking, but I've not been happy in a single one of them. I kinda know what I want to do but don't know how to get started. My career is mostly in IT. I'm not a computer geek in any way, shape, or form. Plus, I suck at math! What am I doing?! I'm more creative by nature but have no idea how to make money with that. Still got those bills to pay...
Old 06-18-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dollpart View Post
I'm a Masters Student doing English Literature.
Studying English literature would be one of my Walter Mitty jobs, along with racing cars, or teaching English lit. or tax law.

I am a tax lawyer by training and it is how I spend most of my time.

I am also a part-time cattle farmer and I manage some family real estate.

All in all, it's a good life.

Not racing cars (I'm not brave enough for that) or teaching at a prestigious college or law school (I'm not smart enough for that), but I can't complain a bit.

And it's a lot better than the last time I took a drink.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When I was in my twenties I worked in forestry, hard drinking. But I liked the reputation that came with doing hard work, manly work, not too mention that field of work can be associated with hard drinking and people let me off a lot when I got wasted ie:"well he works like a bas@&£d! Let him have his fun..."

In my thirties I had to change careers, my back was done from the chainsaws and I was a passenger in a drunk driving accident which further screwed up my back, I went back to college and got a graphic design degree...going from forestry to an office type job was extremely hard on a social level, I told a lot of people where to go, I hated cocky young punks and although a talented designer I eventually got destroyed by drinking and missed deadlines and couldn't handle the stress, ended up freelancing and having my wife support me mainly with her work towards the end.

Now, in my four ties if don't chose a job to impress anyone, ie: I am a graphic designer, faller, whatever...
I got a minimum wage job as a prep cook, I might top off at at a wage of 14.00 Canadian and I am happy. I go to work, I know what needs to be done, I have a list, the people I work with are all right and there's no pressure. So I ain't making millions...but you know what, it. Makes things easier..I just go and do it with no stress and I don't give a flyin Frank what people think , I lived hard and fast in my twenties and thirties and probably packed enough glory and bad crap into 20 years for 5 lives.

Who knows what is in store for me in the future but for now, this works.
And it works good for me, I hate being caught up with money, neighbours and friends? And unreal expectations.

I just live one day at a time. In the past I have had surprises (good and bad) in regards to the future...or you never know what's behind door number two.