Notices

5 and a half months sober, PAWS?

Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 and a half months sober, PAWS?

Hi guys, I'm 5 and a half months sober, but the past 4 to 5 weeks have been terrible!

For over a month i feel like i'm in a heavy fog, depressed, feel weird, not myself, sleep disturbances, feel numb, lifeless, derealisation, feel like i'm losing my mind! you get the rest....this is the worst I have felt so far!

I read PAWS peaks around the 6 month mark, but would symptoms last for weeks?

I feel that bad that I'm seriously considering drinking again, but I'm praying this is PAWS at its peak, be it for the past month and it will eventually pass...I hope so!

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep trucking. Do some research on PAWS and don't get discouraged. The harder it is, the more you shouldn't drink. That's what got us in trouble in the first place. Take care of yourself and be patient. If you stay sober for the day that's all that really matters. I've been there, it sucks, but it goes away. Talk to your doc to get a pros opinion.
-Ted
Old 06-15-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey always... I don't know if I can answer your question about it being because of PAWS but I will tell you that you aren't alone. I am only 57 days sober but wasn't using often at the end... once a month for 4-5 months before I went back to AA and started on this recent journey. I feel the same way... angry, fogged, depressed, confused, etc. And I can't identify exactly why. I know one thing for sure though, there is no feeling that having a drink or a drug won't make worse. I am terrified of relapse. I pray every day for my Higher Power's assistance to help me stay committed to my sobriety and to AA. I see people in the rooms that have found peace and relief from the desire to drink or use. I want that and believe that if I stay the course I will find it.

Good luck.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies, it is a sort of confusion where you can't see the wood from the tree's! Because its been a really tough month I have to take a step back and reassure myself this is to be expected, drinking whiskey everyday has done me over good and proper! Lol, i will try not to make future predictions based on how I feel now.

Because of my low mood the past month I have been focusing on the negative stuff in my life, my tinnitus, my unemployment, money issues, lot of self doubts if i can do this, but I'm going by how reasonably good I felt the first couple of months sober before PAWS set in.

I will not drink over this, I just got to realise its just a bad spell and it won't be this way forever.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would have a check up at the Docs for peace of mind.

There is no way of knowing if it is PAWS..but it does sound like it. Paws really affects some of us more than others. I am with you in the symptoms, I am over 7 months and the symptoms have lifted in the the last week.
I can expect they will return at some stage.

I can not stress enough the benefits of exercise and really nutritious food, lots of fresh homemade food, juices, veggies. It is hard to do when you feel so awful but it makes a huge difference.

You are going so great at over 5 months, hang in there.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply Notimetolose, it does feel like a physical problem, i'm sure if I was to drink all these weird symptoms would go and I would feel like myself again (happened last year at 6 weeks sober) but I would be back to day 1 again, somehow I knew it was going to be a tough year getting sober, I wasn't disappointed!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Reading your post was like looking in a mirror. This is exactly what I have been going through. I am 6.5 months and after about 2 weeks, I am coming out of it. Do not drink! What a waste that would be! You will feel worse after, trust me. Today i am thinking a lot more clearly and the fog is almost gone.

This weekend I drank a ton of water, and had naps when tired. It seemed to work. Keep on keeping on!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AlwaysSober, thanks for posting this. I have been going through something the past couple weeks too. I thought I was doing pretty good. Then it seemed like my desire just went away again. I'm still dealing with the unemployment, retirement upcoming and all that too.
Just a lot going on in my head. I took more naps this past week than I did in a while.
I do find at certain times of the day my energy level comes back strong. It's cyclic.
Also, my partner started working nights - sleeps during the day. I'm working out that new schedule too.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had the exact same stuff flare up at 6 months - it was no bueno!! It lasted almost 1.5 months with a few good days and weeks thrown in to assure me it was PAWS. As promised it passed and I feel pretty good again. I know it can come back without warning so I'm just savoring the good times. You aren't alone, it will get better, just give it time and take excellent care of yourself (nutritious food, regular exercise, fun/relaxing activities).
Old 06-17-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks for the reassurance!

I've been feeling better the past few days. The weekend I was a dazed and staring off into space, really uncomfortable! My hands even went numb!

I noticed the first 3 months of sobriety I was posting quite frequently, but the past 2.5 months I stopped, I couldn't find the words to how I was feeling, concentration was all over the place, I didn't feel like communicating, felt really antisocial! Lol.

I tell you its a right mess all this protracted withdrawal! I suppose I should use this experience to strengthen my resolve to never drink again, but when your in the thick of it, I just had thoughts of drinking to feel slightly more human again! Lol.

I'm glad I didn't give in, so be it if I have to spent 2 years breaking free from this nasty addiction!
Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm with ya AS...I was feeling decent and then bam today I wake up with a headache, anxiety, and feeling totally out of it at 7 months sober....I'm hoping this will pass soon
Since I felt a lot better while I was drinking
Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I never heard of PAWS so after initial withdrawl which for me just lasts a few days, you have another withdrawl and feel cloudy for months? Wonderful