Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

it is sad watching them relapse but they remind me of me

Notices

it is sad watching them relapse but they remind me of me

Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Strange as it may seem, it hasn't occurred to me to drink for many years. The problem was removed. The concept of being constantly reminded of what might happen to me if I drink does not make any sense to me as a prop to sobriety. My memory was never able to protect me. I couldn't even use my own memories of even a few hours ago as a defense, much less remember someone elses sad tale. For me, memory of the consequences was totally useless defense against the first drink.

I come here, and am active in AA because I had something of a change of personality in the recovery path I took. What might have been a dreary, forced daily discipline of not drinking (which I know I would not have been able to sustain) has turned out to be a rewarding way of life.

It feels good to come here and try and contribute some hope and experience, as it does in the meetings. It is a pleasure, as Dr Bob once said, and it feels absolutely wonderful when occasionally someone lets me know that something I was able to share was a help to them.

When someone slips, it can be a tragedy, and it can also be a turning point for them. Sometimes they go on to make an excellent recovery, having dealt with any delusions, other times they don't make it back. As a wise preist once said, in these circumstances look, but don't judge. I look and I wonder why it is they didn't get what I got, and more often than not, the answer is that they didn't do what I did.

I suppose it could be a reminder to keep doing what I am doing, because the same fate awaits me should I ever pick up a drink. But that type of fear motive doesn't drive me. It is just my natural way to live this new way of life. It is not forced.
That is such a valuable observation. I too have changed. It is why I don't count days. Counting days to me seems like you are on hold, and its just a matter of time before we relapse. I've taken on a new lifestyle. The change is in my personality, my thought process etc....Its my new life. And I should add that I like it as well.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Strange as it may seem, it hasn't occurred to me to drink for many years. The problem was removed. The concept of being constantly reminded of what might happen to me if I drink does not make any sense to me as a prop to sobriety. My memory was never able to protect me. I couldn't even use my own memories of even a few hours ago as a defense, much less remember someone elses sad tale. For me, memory of the consequences was totally useless defense against the first drink.

I come here, and am active in AA because I had something of a change of personality in the recovery path I took. What might have been a dreary, forced daily discipline of not drinking (which I know I would not have been able to sustain) has turned out to be a rewarding way of life.
This was amazing to read. I hope I experience something similar.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Could this have been me ?????????????????????

A young man who I met in AA a while back made the news here.

Without going into the sad details he and his girlfriend were dead in the end.

He had returned recently to his running with the devil and now is gone.

Could this happen to me if I went back out today ??????????

I'm not sure -- but -- it's for sure a possibility.

M-Bob
Old 09-13-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

A couple that I know from AA went back out recently and have now returned to the Program. They have 6 months sober but, both still seem to be rocked hard from that last booze outing.

No guarantees once we return to drinking.

M-Bob
Old 09-13-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
sober style

Great thread, Mountainmanbob. I just read it all the way through, so true. Breaks my heart when I see SR people with months or even years relapse. Like you said, there but for the grace of God go I.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

wonderful post/thread. cautionary but full of hope. seeking that peace myself and seeing folks who seem to have made it to that point really gives a boost.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetSmart View Post
wonderful post/thread. cautionary but full of hope. seeking that peace myself and seeing folks who seem to have made it to that point really gives a boost.
Sobriety is so good.
Life can as we know be a real test at times but,
at least today it is not a drunken battle.
I (we) need to always remember that.

A nice sober evening wished for all,
Bob