Notices

Health insurance question?

Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health insurance question?

I've got a question for any Canadians out there.

My interactions with professionals regarding alcohol have been very limited, but I think I would have to disclose a history of alcohol abuse if I ever applied for health insurance (non-employment related), lest they go digging if I make a claim, discover it, and then deny coverage after I'd been paying their premiums for however long.

Has anyone done this, and if so, what did it do to your premiums and/or their willingness to insure you?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not Canadian, nor do I have life insurance, but others may be able to help.

D
Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm nor Canadian. But is there records out there of your abuse; drunk driving, assaults, stalking, fighting, rehab, detox, public intoxication? Anything?
Old 05-30-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I'm nor Canadian. But is there records out there of your abuse; drunk driving, assaults, stalking, fighting, rehab, detox, public intoxication? Anything?
There are only two potential records - the mentioned ER visit, and one visit I made to a doctor requesting acamprosate. Nothing law related.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I don't see anything alcohol related that they could find.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that is a tough question, but one thing i learned in life, if nothing has been documented on paper that you were an alcoholic or had a drinking problem, then technically it never happened.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
that is a tough question, but one thing i learned in life, if nothing has been documented on paper that you were an alcoholic or had a drinking problem, then technically it never happened.
My main worry is that every health/dental insurance application form includes a phrase such as this: "I authorize Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada, and its agents and service providers to use and exchange information needed for underwriting, administration and adjudication of claims under this insurance coverage with any person who has relevant information about me including health professionals, institutions, the MIB, investigative agencies, insurers and reinsurers and to use and exchange information with ASEQ/studentcare.net/works for the purpose of administration."
Old 05-31-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yea i am no lawyer, but i been told this. they will mainly looking for documented cases of alcohol used like if you requested assistance from your doctor, AA, on caught while drinking while driving. that is why i did not use my name at AA.
for most cases, if it is not documented, then i would worry about it
Old 05-31-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi there..i was in Health Insurance for 17 years---the MIB is real. If you paid cash and nothing was filed with an insurance company, you MAY be just fine; however, if it IS in the MIB, and if they underwrite "after claim", meaning they don't hit MIB up front, but wait till you have a claim, and they see something you did not answer truthfully on your application (this is key--how is their question worded and how did you answer, etc.) They can rescind coverage and refund your premiums. It's a big pain. So sorry you are going through this---I am not sure what your medical history is, it may be that they just increase your premium for what you have had happen.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

okay, I'm an idiot. I just gave you US advice--totally missed Canada! I am so sorry, friend!
Old 05-31-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't worry, WritingFromLife. The law in Canada is pretty much the same.

This has been on the news a lot lately with travel insurance companies refusing claims due to non-disclosure of a pre-existing condition. Even though the pre-existing condition has nothing to do with the claim, the non-disclosure voids the contract.

OP, if you went to the ER for an alcohol related issue, or told your doctor you had a drinking problem, then it's pretty much documented as it's easy to obtain hospital and clinical records. I got antabuse prescribed once, but I went to a clinic in the States and paid cash for this reason.

You may still get health insurance even if you do disclose it, for example they might restrict coverage, or charge a higher premium or whatever. Most people have something - I have asthma - that they have to disclose. Note that you only disclose it if the form asks specifically.