Notices

Please confirm the rumor

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please confirm the rumor

That there will be some clarity soon. I hear 6 months is the magic number for a lot of folks. I'm at 2+ months now and fuzzy-headed as ever.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi gardendiva, I think it's different for everyone, our make up, how much we drank etc, to guess when we have clarity.

Stick with it the fuzziness will pass, honest x
Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
That there will be some clarity soon. I hear 6 months is the magic number for a lot of folks. I'm at 2+ months now and fuzzy-headed as ever.
Hey, I'm bang on 6 months and I wish I could say its a magical threshold but it ain't that easy, but it does improve gradually just stick with it my friend.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

As others have mentioned, everyone is different. I am at 1 year plus and still have quirks here and there, but it DEFINITELY gets better. Keep at it - you are doing great.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The six months mark was when I BEGAN to feel real improvement, when the lethargy and brain-fog began to lift. Take heart, it really does get better but it takes time.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Six months did seem to make a bit of difference for me. And at a year, I can appreciate quite a bit of clarity. My mood swings have improved as well. Seems that the kinks can and do work themselves out. Hang in there!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All depends on how much the body had to put up with, it needs time to heal physically, mentally and emotionally so it will be different for everyone!!

Though saying that 6 months is a sizeable chunk of time, keep pushing through and it'll get better with time!!
Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I just feel like I'm sleepwalking most of the time. I'd love to have some more mindfulness and being-in-the-momentness.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks everyone. I just feel like I'm sleepwalking most of the time. I'd love to have some more mindfulness and being-in-the-momentness.
It will come. I remember picking up a guitar a couple months after I quit and literally I would sometimes just sit there knowing exactly where each one of my fingers should go on the fretboard, and knowing which strings to strum...but my brain would just sort of "lock up". Or I'd walk in the basement to get something out of the freezer, and by the time I got there i'd forget what I came there for! Those moments have become much fewer and much farther between - it just takes time for the ol' brain to re-adjust to not being permanently sedated.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

GardenDiva, the mindfulness and feeling of being present can be cultivated, and I think that doing so gives us important brain activity, strengthening a part that atrophied due to misuse while we were drinking. Do some googling about mindfulness and addiction, or read Eckhart Tolle The New Earth or The Power of Now. We will get better without this practice of course, but I think that this moves us forward more quickly.

As you become more mindful, you will be aware that you get a little better every day in some way, and that is the important thing. Every day is better than the last one, our future is brighter and more secure and we move forward to health, serenity and happiness. Onward!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It's a life long process
Old 05-27-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmmmmmm I cannot confirm that. B
Old 05-27-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My first year sober was a remarkable revelation.

Each month I would become more and more aware and alive.

My emotions could be raw sometimes, but it was like life became clearer and clearer on a regular basis.

My brain was no longer under seige and it was thawing gradually.

Stay with it, amigo.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It definitely gets better GD.
It takes a little longer than most of us would like though.

God forbid but if I were to have to do it over, I'd exercise more - it helps

D
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

at 2 months I was having serious issues

but

at 6 months things should be much better

keep the plug in the jug until then

MM
Old 05-27-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It will come. I remember picking up a guitar a couple months after I quit and literally I would sometimes just sit there knowing exactly where each one of my fingers should go on the fretboard, and knowing which strings to strum...but my brain would just sort of "lock up". Or I'd walk in the basement to get something out of the freezer, and by the time I got there i'd forget what I came there for! Those moments have become much fewer and much farther between - it just takes time for the ol' brain to re-adjust to not being permanently sedated.
Yes, this happened to me a lot in the beginning. Particularly at work...I'd be there thinking..."um, what do I do next", and worse, "how do I do it"....just frozen moments, as you say, Scott.

gardendiva....don't be discouraged. Sometimes I'd even be tempted to drink because it felt like I got more done at work...(stupid, but it felt worse than hangovers sometimes!). I was also very, very clumsy.

Eating well, and persevering it has improved a lot. I actually was very scared in the beginning that the fog was actually all that was left, but it cleared.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It held somewhat true for me. I came back into being (100% Mental) normal right at 7 months. Hope this helps you out,btw Im just over 8 months now,hang in there. I promise its so so so much better!
Old 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started noticing improvement at six months, felt much better by one year. Give yourself time and good treatment. It will get better.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Gardendiva,
mindfulness takes practice.
as far as thinking, emotions, fuzzyness, clarity...see if this general map is helpful to you:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com
Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
Gardendiva,
mindfulness takes practice.
as far as thinking, emotions, fuzzyness, clarity...see if this general map is helpful to you:
The Alcoholism and Addictions Help Forums- by SoberRecovery.com
I'm not sure why you would direct someone with a specific question to the forum homepage but whatever.