Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

What causes the insane desire to drink after being sober ..

Notices

What causes the insane desire to drink after being sober ..

Old 05-22-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Klp9999 View Post
I have been sober for over a year and for three days I have been fighting the desire to drink and when I have the desire I know I want to drink and drink and drink like old times. I conquered the craving and feel better today. I thought those desires were behind me and I was free. I would be doing laundry and think wouldn't some vodka be good right now the thought would come right out of the blue. I almost felt like I did when I first stopped drinking the desire was so persistent. Sobriety is much to important to me I did not drink and will never drink again.
The Big Book states that alcohol is "cunning, baffling and powerful". This disease is also cunning, baffling and powerful! No matter how long I'm sober, I still think about those good old times I had when I was drinking and how much fun I had with my friends. My mind has a way of blocking out the bad times and the pain I caused. ALCOHLISM is always waiting for me to reach some kind of a weak point in my life when the thought of a drink, just might seem to be the thing that will make things better. STAND GAURD AT THE PORTAL OF THOUGHT! That piece of advice was given to me by a very dear friend who has passed on but I'll never forget it.

And just one more thing. To say "I will never drink again" presumes that you know that there's nothing that can happen to you that will bring you to the point of thinking a drink is the answer. I've been sober over 37 years and I'm not confident enough to make that statement, which is why I still go to meetings and still have a sponsor; so that I'll have some place to go and someone I can talk to in the event I get nuts again. I know someone who knew Lois, Bill W.'s wife. Lois shared that on Bill's death bed, he asked for a drink. Ego is the greatest tool this disease has to use against us. Don't go down that path. It leads to a dead end.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

good stuff there, Music.

I drank for about 23 years. I know the bad times outweigh the good times, but when the thought of a drink comes to mind, the bad times aren't what pops up first. had it happen yesterday. did a lot of yardwork,sat down in a chair afterwards enjoying my nice clean yard and thought how an ice cold beer would be pretty nice. but I know If I were to buy an ice cold beer, it would be in a 12 pack and that 12 pack would be gone and id be back in the insanity I worked so hard to get out of. then I thanked God for where I was and turned my attention to something more useful( a nap!!).
I also don't like to think of saying I will never drink again. my plan is to never drink again. I cant plan the outcome, but Im not drinkin today.
must be vigilant. cunning,baffling,powerful,patient, and deadly. just waiting for me to rest on my laurels.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I believe it's perfectly fine to say "I will never drink again". If you're strong in this conviction, take care of yourself emotionally and keep working on you, the cravings will lessen. It's the law of attraction, creative visualization, whatever you want to call it. Don't underestimate the power of the mind. Every time you resist you become stronger.

Hugs to you. xoxo
Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
I believe it's perfectly fine to say "I will never drink again". If you're strong in this conviction, take care of yourself emotionally and keep working on you, the cravings will lessen. It's the law of attraction, creative visualization, whatever you want to call it. Don't underestimate the power of the mind. Every time you resist you become stronger.

Hugs to you. xoxo
Love to have a strong mind like yours. Maybe some day......