Notices

Another Coincidence?

Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Another Coincidence?

Now that I feel I'm beginning to recover, I've noticed a few of these. Here's another that just happened.

As some here may know, I went to church, for the first time in years, a few weeks ago with my next door neighbors who have been going "forever". It was Easter Sunday and I left there feeling "resurrected". I've been going since.

I was told then that the church is having one of its periodic "mass baptisms" on May 18th, today. After thinking about it for a week, I signed up. Later I wrote "my testimony" to be read during my baptism. It's basically the same things I've been posting here.

Anyway, I woke up this morning at 4:59AM, just in time to catch the last few seconds of a TV evangelist's signoff. The TV was tuned to an unusual channel for me; must've been watching a movie, or something, last night, I don't recall. The words I heard, upon turning on the TV were: "Go with God and God will go with you".

Considering I'm leaving here at 11AM this morning to publicly affirm my commitment to do exactly that strikes me as rather coincidental. Or is it something more?
Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to church ofcorse. Religion just like purge. Forgivness of god clear soul and u can restart evrythink again.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In my experience coincidence and luck happen too often not to be something more.

If I had that much luck, I ought to win lotto everytime I buy a ticket. Come to think of it, I have only ever bought one ticket, and I won $90.00. Ha.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Come to think of it, I have only ever bought one ticket, and I won $90.00. Ha.
Lol, cool! I gotta feeling the "ticket" I'm buying today is gonna pay off even more
Old 05-18-2014, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Coincidence is very powerful stuff. Love it

A recent example I experienced is about change, re-committing to sobriety, and moving on, moving house.

I really enjoy reading, and like to return to the source of wisdom which has been reinterpreted to make it easily digestible for us moderns. Anyway, a friend was reading The Power of Now (not knocking it, just never read it) Following a tip (thanks Boleo) from another SR member, I got a copy of Meister Eckhart's Selected writings which Tolle cites in his book.

Was taking some quiet time, and pondering the change going on in my life, and as a form of asking for guidance, I will often open a book randomly. This is where it opened:

Whoever wishes to begin a new life or work should turn to their God, desiring with all their strength and devotion that he should send them the best thing of all, that which is most precious to him and worthy, while they themselves desire and intend nothing of self, but only the most precious will of God and that alone. They should then accept what God sends them as being directly from him, holding it to be the very best thing of all, and they should be wholly content with it

Now, I moved house last week. Three years ago, I was hoping to move to the same area, and had offered on a house which fell through. I was avidly hunting for an alternative buy to no avail. I noticed a beautiful old church on the main road, and as it was open, went inside and took a pew to have a few moments reprieve to think things through. I ended up staying in the house I was in for another three years.

Guess where I moved to last week? A little cottage that is sat right behind the church where I sat three years ago for that moments reprieve.

It is, without tending to sentimentality, more than I ever could have hoped for myself, and as per those words above, it is the best thing of all that I could have been sent.

Seemingly my part is getting out of the way, and having faith that whatever comes, fair or foul weather, and however painful, that is what is meant. And there really has been some pain in this last three years, am sure there will be pain in the future too, because life's like that, and often it is necessary in order for something to shift, that is at least my experience. All of this has been a very powerful experience in faith, trust, acceptance, and getting out of the way. Sounds simple, eh?! I only have to do my bit, then get out of the way, and trust. Doesn't mean I always get what I want, but seemingly, I do come by what is meant for me.

Enjoy your day dSober, and love that it started off with a coincidence.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful post Pipefish. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Coincidence or not, some things have so much meaning and relevance you just have to stop and smile

Best wishes and thoughts for today dsober

D
Old 05-18-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Got a haircut and some new summer clothes yesterday. Off for a shower and shave now. Then goin' for a REAL cleansing. Have a great day all!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"Coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous" Cherrie Hall

I am experiencing the same stuff, dSober. Post back--let us know how it goes!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
"Coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous" Cherrie Hall
I like that, way cool.

Baptism went well. Actually rather uneventful because I've already been feeling quite changed since Easter. As always since then however, I came home from church feeling refreshed. Besides, I got to spend some time with an old friend, I hadn't seen in years, who came to watch me take a bath.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Pipefish, your post was quite inspirational for me Lots of wisdom there. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love the post here dsober. I think god gives us Suttle messages to accept him. And sometimes not so Suttle. I look back on my life and wonder how I let alcohol almost kill me. I realized it was gods way of bringing me into his existence. Could I have changed things, most certainly. But his plan is working so much better than mine. God bless everyone.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
I realized it was gods way of bringing me into his existence.
Yeah... I guess I needed a bugle in my ear kinda wake up call too.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Remember Dsober - you have posted that God is in you. So this may very well be your subconscious telling you what to do that has been oppressed by your conscious.

The only caution I would highlight is religion too can become an addiction. Just be mindful your not hearing what you want to hear to trade addictions.

I don't believe in coincidences though. Good luck
Old 05-19-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
The only caution I would highlight is religion too can become an addiction.
Not to worry. I'm not religious. I'm just becoming more spiritual... more in touch with, and in heed of, my conscience... my Higher Power. Some call It/Him God. A rose by any other name...
Old 05-19-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job - I am happy for you. You seem to making some real progress