Notices

do i have a problem

Old 05-14-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

do i have a problem

My use of substances which is comprised of alchol and weed CONCERNS me. I been drinking more this year than in recent years. The drinking is what really concerns me. Part of the reason for this is that I used to have a very real problem with booze. I even ended up in treatment twice of my own volition. I must say though that I never have had any health problems. From drinking. Currently if I drink I also smoke a lot of weed. Most of the time I drink mabey three times a week. Usually I won't drink more than 14 drinks per week. But latley I been getting messed up on weed and booze twice a week. Mabry. 4 beers to 6 beers. But at least once a month I will gett tottaly wasted and drink 12 or more drinks. Also I'm at my happiest under the influence. Its like add liquor to any event makes it twenty times better.
I have an anxiety promlem so high or drunk I is the only time I feel really good. I would like oppions of weather my relationship with substances seems problimatic.
In other words should I be concerned. Also I keep breaking promises to not drink or smoke weed. In addition latley if I smoke weed I usually end up drinking eventhough I promised my self not to. I'm 33 year-old male.
DMR.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Also I forgot to add the rehab stints were more than 5 years ago and my drinking has been fairly normal since then with periodic Bing drinking.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know. Do you?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if it concerns you enough to sign up here, then yeah - it's a problem - especially if you're lying to cover it up?

Have you thought of quitting at all 100?
D
Old 05-15-2014, 12:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

So, you've been in rehab twice.
And your still drinking and using.
And it's getting worse?

Bit of a no-brainer if you ask me.

Concern is, perhaps, too mild a word.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

High or drunk was the only time I felt good too, until it stopped working. You sound very much like an alcoholic of my type. Eventually the use of those substances will cause health problems, both physical and mental , if it hasn't already.

The only solution is to abstain, and the problem then becomes one of how to abstain and have a happy life. It can be done. A lot of people here have found ways of doing it.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it's causing problems in your life, then yes, you should be concerned. Why not quit for three months and see how you feel then.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If your concerned, then the answer is yes, plus "normal" drinkers don't end up in treatment!!

Somthing has to change or life will continue down the same path!!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Only you can decide if you have a problem, and if you want to quit and need help to quit. If you have been to rehab twice, you know the story. Your call, we're here to help when you want to give sobriety a go. Good luck
Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. Alcoholism is a progressive situation and affects people differently sometimes. From what you post I think there is a problem and the sooner it's addressed the better your life. I needed to get totally honest with myself about my drinking then I needed to do something about it only for myself. Not my family, job, judge and so on. That sounds selfish but it's the way it works for the long run.

BE WELL
Old 05-15-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think a normal drinker ,would drink 12 beers in one setting ,Many times -if any in their life .

I use my wife as an example ,I don't think I ever saw her drink 12 drinks .
The average person can not drink 12 , and be standing .
Old 05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

If alcohol is causing you problems in your life then by definition you have an alcohol problem.

There is the answer to your question, remember questions are the easy part. How you answer is more difficult.

Good luck,
Jon
Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by 100 View Post
My use of substances which is comprised of alchol and weed CONCERNS me. I been drinking more this year than in recent years. The drinking is what really concerns me. Part of the reason for this is that I used to have a very real problem with booze. I even ended up in treatment twice of my own volition. I must say though that I never have had any health problems. From drinking. Currently if I drink I also smoke a lot of weed. Most of the time I drink mabey three times a week. Usually I won't drink more than 14 drinks per week. But latley I been getting messed up on weed and booze twice a week. Mabry. 4 beers to 6 beers. But at least once a month I will gett tottaly wasted and drink 12 or more drinks. Also I'm at my happiest under the influence. Its like add liquor to any event makes it twenty times better.
I have an anxiety promlem so high or drunk I is the only time I feel really good. I would like oppions of weather my relationship with substances seems problimatic.
In other words should I be concerned. Also I keep breaking promises to not drink or smoke weed. In addition latley if I smoke weed I usually end up drinking eventhough I promised my self not to. I'm 33 year-old male.
DMR.

I think the general rule of thumb is if it effects your life in any negative way then perhaps you do have a problem, it's not me who can say but your honesty will answer the question easily.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I don't think a normal drinker ,would drink 12 beers in one setting ,Many times -if any in their life .

I use my wife as an example ,I don't think I ever saw her drink 12 drinks .
The average person can not drink 12 , and be standing .

Drinking in many cases predates anxiety ,In fact it can cause anxiety in people with out an anxiety disorder before .

If you want to look it up google " morning jitters "

In any case Drinking has NO USE in treating anxiety .

I already traveled that road ,I will save you the trouble .
Old 05-16-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
lucky

Alcoholism is progressive as someone above said. So if you think you will end up drinking more and more and not be able to control it, then you need to seek help now or try to slow down. However if you are drinking 4-6 drinks at a time a couple of times a week (was the 12 drinks over the period of the week?) it really doesn't sound like a problem to me.
However, it is not the amount so much as the fact that YOU are concerned!