Notices

Can feel the anxiety already

Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can feel the anxiety already

Hi everyone, I'm on day 2 and am starting to feel anxious again, I feel like I'm boring without alcohol in me, and I used to suffer severe panic attacks, alcohol always has made
Me feel safe from these. I just want to hide in my bed and shut everyone out.... Is this normal? When will the anxiety go? And when will I find me again?
Thank you for listening x
Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is normal. You've been using a depressant. Your nervous system is trying to equalize again.

Give it time. Take care of yourself. I slept a lot and ate a lot in the first couple weeks. It feels raw, but it gets better! Don't pick up a drink. You just have to get through this. Herbal teas helped me. So did walks outside.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Totally normal , I had it too
Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can see I really have been using alcohol to block the anxious feelings..... Why do we get it as soon as we stop?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you Google alcohol related anxiety there are lots of links about this.

Also, look up PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome).
Old 05-03-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

alcohol always has made
Me feel safe from these.
the above is not normal. It never made you safe believe me it was a contributing factor if not the sole cause. I quit drinking because of horrible anxiety and panic attacks sure when i drank i felt better and as the booze started to wear off the panic came on with a vengence.

Stay sober keep going one day at a time the anxiety will start to subside the panic attacks will go away or get more and more mild I'd imagine they will be gone in due time. Mine are pretty much gone they stopped right away really. But I still got them after i got sober just more mild and way less often.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I can see I really have been using alcohol to block the anxious feelings..... Why do we get it as soon as we stop?
our body becomes dependant on the alcohol to calm the anxiety this is not normal its just the product of drinking all the time. Sober people dont walk around with vicious anxiety all the time. For example the non drinker non smoker doesnt wonder this earth wishing they could drink like a fish and smoke 2 packs a day. Believe it or not they do feel just fine without these substances. what we did was not normal or healthy.

Your body will come around and heal just be patient its amazing how well the body can heal.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Hi everyone, I'm on day 2 and am starting to feel anxious again, I feel like I'm boring without alcohol in me, and I used to suffer severe panic attacks, alcohol always has made
Me feel safe from these. I just want to hide in my bed and shut everyone out.... Is this normal? When will the anxiety go? And when will I find me again?

You are right on track, we have all felt the very same things. Just hang on and see it through, the grass is greener real soon.
Well done so far.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone..... That makes sense the hangovers are when I have them or just when I'm sober
Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

About a month out, i suddenly realized i had been DAYS without an anx.attack. within 2 more weeks i hung up the as needed ativan. I really believe that brain chemistry compensates for our drugs. -take uppers; pay with lethargy. take downers (including alcohol); pay with agitation

I used long enough that my baseline is like trying some new smart-drug, LOL! It really can be fun, too.

I don't really pine for the feeling of anesthesia. Sometimes when i'm bored, though, i play a little head game with myself. I think about how i would feel with an excruciating hangover. I was the king of those, so it's not very hard. I think about being dried out, to my bones. Anxious. Naus 7eous. Creepy. Stinky. Shakey. Unsexy. Unsure. Irritable. Guilty, and sad

NOPE. DONT MISS IT A BIT.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh, i forgot to say -HANG IN THERE! WE ARE ALL PROUD OF YOU. Its not easy. It is worth it.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Give sobriety a chance and let your nervous system settle down. Eat well and get a balanced diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.

You can't lift a few weights for 2 days and become Arnold Schwarzenegger. You can't diet for 2 days and lose 30lbs. Using those lines of thinking, you can't sober up for 2 days and become completely happy and anxiety free. This is a long haul, which is why so many people give up on sobriety very early. Try and get through this, you can and will get well.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Totally normal! You're doing some really hard work right now which is so positive. Remember to go easy on yourself.

Lots of great people here for all the support that you need too
Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It will start to let up quickly ,One day is down .

You may be done by day 3 . It will sure get better .
Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alochol is very bad for anxeity .

Feel free to google it .
Old 05-04-2014, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

If the anxiety was pre-existing it might be helpful to see your Dr, bananacake?

D
Old 05-04-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Back when I was drinking a lot of whiskey , I had an anxeity
Attack -while I was drinking .

I was about half drunk , it was odd and not much fun .

I had terrible depression , on the hard liquor
Old 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananacake
100% normal reaction.

My fingers visibly shook for about 3-4 days from day 0. It went away on it's own with time.

Take it easy........
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

About day 3 is home free
Old 05-04-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Totally normal - I experienced the exact same thing.

As for worrying about being "boring," there is very little that is more tiresome to be around than a drunk. You're not boring - you're becoming a better person. I am fairly anxious in social situations and I worried that I was never going to be able to socialize again. I was wrong - I'm far more social and pleasant to be around nowadays.