Notices

Anyone stop tobacco ,right after drinking ?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone stop tobacco ,right after drinking ?

Im thinking at a month sober ,ill quit snuff .

I was just too edgy stopping both at the same time .

Does anyone know when your body is purged out of alcohol ?

Im thinking 3 weeks should be plenty of time ,judging by how I feel .
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol is completely absent in 3-5 days.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Karate - At rehab we were advised not to quit smoking within 6 months of quitting drinking to try and avoid creating too much stress until we were more secure in sobriety.

Haven't you tried to do these close to each other before? Maybe give yourself a bit more time, getting rid of the alcohol seems more a priority.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

i quit smoking about 6 months later. and not really becuase i was trying to clean up my act. I was just trying anything to ease up on the anxiety etc.. and I new it wasnt healthy anyhow so i put it down. Its very doubtful I could have done both the same time.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in the process of quitting after over three years sober. I'm using Nicotrol and it's been 37 days since I smoked a cigarette. Now I'm weaning myself off the Nicotrol.
That's just me.
I wish you the best in quitting.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was told that early recovery is the first 2 years, and I have heard other posters here speak to that point as well.

Most of us worked backwards from alcohol right before we got sober. We were either recovering from hangovers, plotting our next drink, trying to mitigate damage done in many areas, attempting to keep up the false front…..At least for me, that list went on and on.

Acknowledging that, I realized that I was embarking on a fairly Herculean journey. I didn't want to exacerbate the already stripped down feeling, or increase any feelings of deprivation by denying myself other things that gave me comfort. I pretty much ate what I wanted, wore clothing that felt comfortable, kept a pretty chill calendar, slept as much as I could, etc. I treated myself like I was ill, because I was. Almost a year later I am not in crisis, I am managing a chronic condition.

I looked to people who had a decent length of sobriety, what did they do that had benefited them? For one thing, they didn't go to extremes.

Being sober is going to change your life in every way. Tobacco isn't healthy but unless you are under doc's orders to stop, I think you run the risk of complicating the natural agitation that comes with early sobriety. It is pleasurable, after you have some time under your belt, to begin to address other areas of your life that might need work.

The first couple of months I organized drawers, now I am tackling whole rooms. I could never have gone on vacation early on, I have flown twice recently with ease. The thought of entertaining guests in my home was overwhelming less than a year ago, I just had my mother and mother-in-law here for a week (ok, I deserve a sobriety gold star for that one).

The thing is Karate, you only have to get sober once if you do it right. You have shared your personality here, I know you love to test yourself. I found I was slightly manic in the first two months, after pouring a depressant down my throat for years, my body went nuts. But then the doldrums set in, and that is when I was glad I had set up my life to give me room to flounder.

Just my thoughts, but I would suggest not biting off too much right now.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all ,I may wait a while on the Copenhagen .

I did quit before ,for 6 years .

Started back at a very high stress time .
Old 05-02-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I mentioned this in one of your previous threads Karate, but I actuallly did the opposite - I quit smokeless tobacco about 2 years prior to quitting alcohol. My personal approach to quitting nicotine was cold turkey, no patches gums or other crutches. The first week was pure hell but after that it was a piece of cake compared to what I went through quitting alcohol.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually noticed quitting both was not hard this time ,but a day or two later I was GRUMPY .

I think it was more nicotine withdrawal ,than alcohol .

But both at the same time put the general public at risk of harm
Old 05-02-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you can try skoal pouches, copenhagen is the high test of smokeless. try regular skoal, try the pouches then try the xtra. I'm on skoal extra mint pouches. Not as obtrusive as cope. some people don't even realize you are doing it. I know, I know. It's a moderation thing. But changing brands could be a start.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
you can try skoal pouches, copenhagen is the high test of smokeless. try regular skoal, try the pouches then try the xtra. I'm on skoal extra mint pouches. Not as obtrusive as cope. some people don't even realize you are doing it. I know, I know. It's a moderation thing. But changing brands could be a start.

Agreed ,I may try that as well .
Old 05-02-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

Have the mint Skoal in my poession ,have not tried it yet .

Ill bet its pretty good .
Old 05-02-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit smoking the month after I quit drinking
Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I did them both ,the first week -tobacco and beer .

It proved too much , too grumpy .
Old 05-03-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I was a 3 - 4 pack a day smoker who quit cold turkey at the same time I quit drinking. For me it seemed that drinking and smoking went hand and hand and once the drink was gone the smoking went with it. It was not a conscious decision just one that happened as the cravings for nicotine decreased when I quit drinking. I have not had either alcohol or a cigarette now for 13 years and don't miss either.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nandm View Post
I was a 3 - 4 pack a day smoker who quit cold turkey at the same time I quit drinking. For me it seemed that drinking and smoking went hand and hand and once the drink was gone the smoking went with it. It was not a conscious decision just one that happened as the cravings for nicotine decreased when I quit drinking. I have not had either alcohol or a cigarette now for 13 years and don't miss either.

I don't equate snuff with beer ,I equate it with work .
Old 05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I started smoking immediately after quitting alcohol and smoked at least a half-pack per day. I did this for 1.5 years, then went down to smoking electronic (vapor) devices. I gradually decreased the nicotine intake and finally quit for good. Took me almost two years.

I'd tell you to be careful biting off more than you can chew, but that might not be a good metaphor. Also, I'd tell you to be careful about making grand plans and putting the cart before the horse, but I'm not sure you're interested in listening to that kind of feedback. I'll say it anyway: one thing at a time buddy. Kick the drink for a year, then start working on the rest.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

E-Cig all the way!