Notices

I can't wrap my head around this...

Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't wrap my head around this...

Losing everything a year and a half AFTER you stop drinking?

Can someone please explain this to me? Is this more common than people like to let on? Or am I just one of the "lucky" ones?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What happened? What did you lose? House? Job? Significant other? Friends?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What happened, can you post more about it?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think making any large change in our lives even the good ones can have a Domino effect while everything readjusts to the new "normal"
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Non-drinkers and normal drinkers have ****astic things happen to them, too. There is simply no way around it. Hopefully becoming sober allowed some REAL friends and loved ones into your life to lean on through your hard time.

Last edited by Dee74; 04-30-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I say I lost everything, I mean EVERYTHING. All I have is my questionable car, my daughter, the clothes on our back and about $60 in my bank account. My family turned their back on us. We are on day 4 of homelessness. I had it in my head that rock bottom was something that happened before you quit drinking.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, I guess the first thing you should do is contact WIC? There are government programs to help you out.

Edit: Yikes, are you American?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nope. Not American.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And thank you, but I'm not asking for advice. My head is just swimming because I don't understand it.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gah Please just don't start drinking again. It will make everything so much worse.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I doubt that quitting drinking was directly the cause of your experiences, life keeps dealing the cards whether we are drinking or not.

However I do know that alcohol and turning back to drinking won't help the situation!!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not going to. Can't afford it even if I wanted to.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purpleknight View Post
I doubt that quitting drinking was directly the cause of your experiences, life keeps dealing the cards whether we are drinking or not.

However I do know that alcohol and turning back to drinking won't help the situation!!
I'm not saying its a direct cause. My point is that for a majority of people (from what I hear), their life improves after they quit. Better health, more money, stronger and more meaningful relationships, clearheadedness etc. Mine has gone in the complete opposite direction. People keep telling me "wait it out, things will get better", but it's already been a year and a half and things are steadily getting worse. Wasn't even close to rock bottom when I was drinking, but am now.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm sorry for what you're going through RocketQueen. I can't even imagine.

In most ways my life improved after I got sober. I did come closer than ever to loosing my job about 6 months into sobriety.

My boss said your fired, I countered, he realized I was right, he told me he had to talk to corporate and think it over. He let me know 2 days later that I was not fired. So, I spent two days not knowing. That was tough. Nothing like what you're going through but it was tough.

Just know, lots of folks here (and in the world) have been in similar situations and things got better. It is possible.

Sending you and your daughter love and hugs.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand things still being shaky for a small period of time after quitting. Kind of a transitional period. I get that, and experienced it myself. This just seems so extreme. A year and a half later, I should have regained control of my life. In fact, I was making progress in doing just that. Then, BAM! What happened?? I wish I knew.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Am sorry things are tough for you & your daughter RQ.

A very dear friend of mine, now 18 years sober, found out after 18 months in recovery that her husband had been having an affair for several years, and as a result, lost her home, any financial claims, and had to leave her sons with their father. She arrived in the UK with two hundred quid & pure determination to stay sober. She's done just that.

Since getting sober on the 16 December 2013, I've lost my job (made redundant), have needed to bring to an end two long friendships that served no purpose on either side, (well, one ending was initiated by me, the other by the other party, in a very abrupt & blaming way) have needed to sell my home to make financial ends meet (tho am very fortunate to be moving somewhere I like) and also managed to lose a year long relationship. Am trusting this is all part of the plan...this doesn't compare to your situation, but I can empathise a little.

Have always been a little dubious about the vague use of the term 'it gets better' What's been important to me is to muster as much faith as possible that these changes are a necessary part of my recovery, clearing the way as it were, and ironically, it gives me hope. If we can have sobriety under these conditions, then it's possible under any other kind....especially better ones ;-)

Huge hug to you
Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

this can happen to anyone in today's economy but if sober we should have a better grip on things than when we were drinking

MM
Old 04-30-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry RQ.
I don't think these things happen to us because we're sober...sometimes life is just...well rough.

I won't give you advice, but I will send you best wishes...you will come out of this

D
Old 04-30-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipefish View Post
Am sorry things are tough for you & your daughter RQ.

A very dear friend of mine, now 18 years sober, found out after 18 months in recovery that her husband had been having an affair for several years, and as a result, lost her home, any financial claims, and had to leave her sons with their father. She arrived in the UK with two hundred quid & pure determination to stay sober. She's done just that.

Since getting sober on the 16 December 2013, I've lost my job (made redundant), have needed to bring to an end two long friendships that served no purpose on either side, (well, one ending was initiated by me, the other by the other party, in a very abrupt & blaming way) have needed to sell my home to make financial ends meet (tho am very fortunate to be moving somewhere I like) and also managed to lose a year long relationship. Am trusting this is all part of the plan...this doesn't compare to your situation, but I can empathise a little.

Have always been a little dubious about the vague use of the term 'it gets better' What's been important to me is to muster as much faith as possible that these changes are a necessary part of my recovery, clearing the way as it were, and ironically, it gives me hope. If we can have sobriety under these conditions, then it's possible under any other kind....especially better ones ;-)

Huge hug to you
Thank you. I needed this. I have been putting so much effort into my recovery, and I'm at the point where I'm like "what for?" It's like one step forward, two steps back. Sometimes I think to myself, I could have saved myself all the energy and sickness that goes into recovery to still end up in the same situation. Does that make sense?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
this can happen to anyone in today's economy but if sober we should have a better grip on things than when we were drinking

MM
"Should", being the key word.