Notices

Ct scan today

Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ct scan today

What is different between the ultrasound, MRI and CT scan? Physical examination showed improvements from last time. I had CT SCAN TODAY OVER liver and abdomen.

Thoughts? I know you cant offer diagnosis as that is criminal here. And of course "don't drink" which is normal speak.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am just looking for shared experiences
Old 05-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

CT scan is generally the most detailed of the 3 when looking inside the body. What did your doctor say the reason for the scan was? That would be your best source of information on why he/she used CT over the others.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Klime I'm glad that your CT showed improvements. But what I think you need to do is call the physician and tell them you need more information and have more questions. The best answer you're going to get is from the horses mouth

If you still don't get what the dr. Is explaining speak up, until all your questions are answers and your mind is more at ease.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Different imaging techniques can show different types of structures in your body. CT scans use many X-rays combined into a single image, MRI use giant magnets to cause your body to emit radiation that is then measured and turned into an image. Ultrasound uses, well, sound. They just show different types of "stuff" and have different health effects.

If you're worried about what they are doing or why, I'd agree with the other posters - ask your doctor to explain what's going on.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I guess we will see what is wrong with me.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Kllme View Post
Well I guess we will see what is wrong with me.
It's always possible that there isn't anything wrong too. A CT scan is merely a diagnostic tool, just like a thermometer or a stethoscope. It allows your doctors to see what's going on inside you, and it is not only used to find problems, but also confirm that there are no problems.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kllme, when did they say a doctor would contact you? I hold by the truism, bad news travels faster than good news. And I don't like your use name :-(
Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Came back as no liver damage. I just don't see how that can be. A fifth of vodka daily for years.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Came back as no liver damage. I just don't see how that can be. A fifth of vodka daily for years.
wow that's awesome. it's possible. not even fatty liver? wow
Old 05-02-2014, 03:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Consider yourself blessed! And I'm sure you already know this, but try not making the mistake some do of thinking that no liver damage = green light to keep drinking. Your liver is just one of many organ systems in the body that are affected by alcohol as well as the obvious negative emotional effects.

Glad you got good news though!
Old 05-02-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great news!! . . . as already mentioned, this is a warning flag to turn things around, you don't want to be repeating the same stressful experience in 5 yrs time, wishing you had of changed things when you had the chance!!
Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

But Dr. referred me to liver Dr. I have a hard time believing all of this. I expected at least some kind of scarring. I was just hoping it wasn't too bad. Guys a fifth of alcohol damn near daily for 4 plus years. Come on. With hereditary against me
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What is different between the ultrasound, MRI and CT scan? Physical examination showed improvements from last time. I had CT SCAN TODAY OVER liver and abdomen.

Thoughts? I know you cant offer diagnosis as that is criminal here. And of course "don't drink" which is normal speak.
I think the info at this page describes these three different imaging technologies quite well:
Ultrasound and MRI Exam Facts - Mountain Medical Imaging Center
Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

But Dr. referred me to liver Dr. I have a hard time believing all of this. I expected at least some kind of scarring. I was just hoping it wasn't too bad. Guys a fifth of alcohol damn near daily for 4 plus years. Come on. With hereditary against me
Sounds like great news to me.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Before the tests, I assumed you were looking for some reassurance with comparisons from other people's experiences . . . and now a Dr has provided that reassurance . . . you don't believe the diagnosis??
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I just would think I would have a little scarring......if I were a human but maybe I was created for bigger things.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's great news, Kllme; very happy for you. Take care of that beautifully healthy liver!!!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

So I screwed up and after I was diagnosed as "healthy" 3 weeks ago through blood tests and an MRI. Supposedly not even a fatty liver, I started to drink again and an now on Day AF. Reason, I saw Dr. to begin with was definately the reason I stopped. If you remember before, I was worried about having ascites but it ended up as I guess an inflamed liver. I went 3 weeks prior to MRI alcohol free so maybe that is why it showed clean liver. Anyway after drinking for last 3 weeks, same symptoms came back, inflamed liver causing what feels like water filled gut. I know last time the symptoms started to go away after abstaining about 7-10 days. Hopefully it is same thing as last time and not worse. I will probably never learn my lesson.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Has this happened to anyone. Basically, you get an inflamed liver after so many years, you don't drink for 3 weeks, it goes away, then you drink for 3 weeks and it is back again. I supposedly didnt have anything wrong via MRI and blood tests.