Notices

So here i sit alone and sober .

Old 04-24-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So here i sit alone and sober .

Wife is working , son is at his girlfriends .

I used to use this as a great time to slam some beers without any questions .

This seems odd , But I will not be hungover in the morning .
Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes; Yes; Yes.

Good going, karate.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

oh i have some of the same days as you described.
yea we will wake up sober tomorrow and no hang overs.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are doing great Karate. This is a good time to get to know yourself. When I was drinking I never really got to know me that well. Have a great evening.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Things are looking up here .

The cold from hell is letting up ,and the back pain has also .

One other nice thing is being able to take Tylenol , because you don't drink .

The cold actually helped me in the first few days ,I felt so bad I knew beer would make it worse .

Ill bet a hangover and a cold ,with a kinked up back would be a real bad morning .
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

The thing with relying on avoidance of consequences to stay quit is that sooner then later the effects of past consequences wear off. And since you've quit, future immediate consequences from drinking no longer apply.

One is left feeling like the whole quit thing was overblown. At this point, it takes a lot more than feeling good about not feeling bad to sustain the quit.

Quitting on feelings is no better than just taking a longish break between drinking times. Quits which stand the test of time require supreme effort at creating a new lifestyle that doesn't depend on "artificially feeling good emotionally" by a return to drinking.

Life doesn't always feel good -- sober or drunk. Building a quit on feelings is like building a home over a sinkhole. Eventually it all falls.

Speaking from experience.

In any case, good on you for quitting Karate.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad to hear that you're doing well, Karate
Old 04-25-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today I am going to repossess a $30k car from a friend who went dead beat after a divorce, truly a disgusting job. Four years ago, I would be hungover from a night of dread drinking. Four weeks ago I'd be hitting the bong already. Yesterday I even said aloud, as a joke, "I wish I still smoked cigs" The horrified reaction from my friends, some of them smokers, was priceless. If I can do this heinous task without any "crutches" I can do anything. I am content that there is no great time to slam beers anymore. I hope you get here Karate. The view is fine.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
The thing with relying on avoidance of consequences to stay quit is that sooner then later the effects of past consequences wear off. And since you've quit, future immediate consequences from drinking no longer apply.

One is left feeling like the whole quit thing was overblown. At this point, it takes a lot more than feeling good about not feeling bad to sustain the quit.

Quitting on feelings is no better than just taking a longish break between drinking times. Quits which stand the test of time require supreme effort at creating a new lifestyle that doesn't depend on "artificially feeling good emotionally" by a return to drinking.

Life doesn't always feel good -- sober or drunk. Building a quit on feelings is like building a home over a sinkhole. Eventually it all falls.

Speaking from experience.

In any case, good on you for quitting Karate.
I will indeed think on what you said ,It makes great sense .

I started on the attitude part about 2 years ago , but still spent a while as a semi-drunk with a good attitude .

That other part you describe ,how to I get there ?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Happy for you Karate
Old 04-25-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by karate View Post
I will indeed think on what you said ,It makes great sense .

I started on the attitude part about 2 years ago , but still spent a while as a semi-drunk with a good attitude .

That other part you describe ,how to I get there ?
I'm thinking the other part your meaning from my post is creating a new lifestyle? If so, I mean isolate your quit so the quit is unconditional and detached from how you choose to stay sober. The idea here is no matter what turns out after your quit event, nothing will reverse your action on quitting be it good or ill fortune.

When I quit, I was clueless on how my sober lifestyle was going to play out. Since crystal ball reading is not something I'm good at, the only other way to know is by experience which I didn't have when I quit. A conundrum of sorts. I knew by listening to others share how they said they knew what to do, but when it came time to actually day in and day out live a new sober life, they often fell back into drinking with the claim they would just try again. For me, trying again wasn't an option. I really was on my last leg with drinking. I was able to quit this time. Next time? Not so much.

So as the years went on, my sober lifestyle changed many times into better lived experiences learning as I went. My original quit remained unchanged. Even today, 33 years later I am still agnostic with my sobriety empowerment because that is the spiritual state I was in when I quit. I also still have zero attachments to my original quit. Its was a pretty simple quit - I quit forever and nothing will ever cause me to not stay quit. Nothing. You can imagine what has happened in over 30 years of a guys life both good and bad, and yet my last quit is just as real today as it was back in the summer of 1981.

My lifestyle is a totally different thing. When I quit I was just a drunk. Dirt poor. Street guy. Messed up something awful. Nowadays, completely different on all levels as my earlier posts here on SR talk about.

I appreciate your efforts at sobriety Karate. You have the want to quit, and you have an open mind to stay quit. I think your asking the right questions too. What I suggest to be helpful is to make your quit an event that is separated from how you choose to live your sober life. Detach yourself from conditions on your quit. Don't quit for good fortune or from bad consequences. Don't quit for better feelings, better mindset... etc....

It may seem difficult or a bit senseless to isolate your last quit from your present life and future choices, but I do suggest it is really worth every effort you can manage to keep your quit unconditional and detached from your sober lifestyle choices.

Thanks for the question and your comments Karate.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

The key words are "used to" but you are much stronger these days much like the me I found it hard initially with the drinking oportunities, now it's no longer second nature to head to the store for a stock of beers.
Well done Karate, love your posts👍
Old 04-25-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So here I sit alone and sober,
Dreaming of a four leaf clover,
Trying to think of something clever,
to help him hang on to his treasure......
Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

sitting alone and sober is like "idle hands are the devils playground" there was a time where i'd get all sorts of ideas. I'm past that now. Tho the thread about drinking listerine I coulda done without. the AV was like oh wow theres an idea you should try that ::facepalm::
Old 04-25-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good Stuff Karate, keep on going.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I'm thinking the other part your meaning from my post is creating a new lifestyle? If so, I mean isolate your quit so the quit is unconditional and detached from how you choose to stay sober. The idea here is no matter what turns out after your quit event, nothing will reverse your action on quitting be it good or ill fortune.

When I quit, I was clueless on how my sober lifestyle was going to play out. Since crystal ball reading is not something I'm good at, the only other way to know is by experience which I didn't have when I quit. A conundrum of sorts. I knew by listening to others share how they said they knew what to do, but when it came time to actually day in and day out live a new sober life, they often fell back into drinking with the claim they would just try again. For me, trying again wasn't an option. I really was on my last leg with drinking. I was able to quit this time. Next time? Not so much.

So as the years went on, my sober lifestyle changed many times into better lived experiences learning as I went. My original quit remained unchanged. Even today, 33 years later I am still agnostic with my sobriety empowerment because that is the spiritual state I was in when I quit. I also still have zero attachments to my original quit. Its was a pretty simple quit - I quit forever and nothing will ever cause me to not stay quit. Nothing. You can imagine what has happened in over 30 years of a guys life both good and bad, and yet my last quit is just as real today as it was back in the summer of 1981.

My lifestyle is a totally different thing. When I quit I was just a drunk. Dirt poor. Street guy. Messed up something awful. Nowadays, completely different on all levels as my earlier posts here on SR talk about.

I appreciate your efforts at sobriety Karate. You have the want to quit, and you have an open mind to stay quit. I think your asking the right questions too. What I suggest to be helpful is to make your quit an event that is separated from how you choose to live your sober life. Detach yourself from conditions on your quit. Don't quit for good fortune or from bad consequences. Don't quit for better feelings, better mindset... etc....

It may seem difficult or a bit senseless to isolate your last quit from your present life and future choices, but I do suggest it is really worth every effort you can manage to keep your quit unconditional and detached from your sober lifestyle choices.

Thanks for the question and your comments Karate.
Thanks for the reply .

I am reallyfeeling pretty good , first week or 2 were total crap with a cold and back issues .

I used to drink when I felt good ,Now I don't want to wreck feeling good for a whole day ,for a buzz that only will last an hour .

Just not willing to make that trade these days .

I hope that is enough to power through .

And alcohol WRECKS my sleep ,I always wake up hot when I drink .

I read alcohol disrupts REM sleep ,and disrupts your body's temp. regulating .
I know that to be true ,in my case at least
Old 04-26-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I KNOW this place. The presence of the former verb is of my own doing. The latter verb is also of my own doing, with a little help from some friends.