View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
karate

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
I'm thinking the other part your meaning from my post is creating a new lifestyle? If so, I mean isolate your quit so the quit is unconditional and detached from how you choose to stay sober. The idea here is no matter what turns out after your quit event, nothing will reverse your action on quitting be it good or ill fortune.

When I quit, I was clueless on how my sober lifestyle was going to play out. Since crystal ball reading is not something I'm good at, the only other way to know is by experience which I didn't have when I quit. A conundrum of sorts. I knew by listening to others share how they said they knew what to do, but when it came time to actually day in and day out live a new sober life, they often fell back into drinking with the claim they would just try again. For me, trying again wasn't an option. I really was on my last leg with drinking. I was able to quit this time. Next time? Not so much.

So as the years went on, my sober lifestyle changed many times into better lived experiences learning as I went. My original quit remained unchanged. Even today, 33 years later I am still agnostic with my sobriety empowerment because that is the spiritual state I was in when I quit. I also still have zero attachments to my original quit. Its was a pretty simple quit - I quit forever and nothing will ever cause me to not stay quit. Nothing. You can imagine what has happened in over 30 years of a guys life both good and bad, and yet my last quit is just as real today as it was back in the summer of 1981.

My lifestyle is a totally different thing. When I quit I was just a drunk. Dirt poor. Street guy. Messed up something awful. Nowadays, completely different on all levels as my earlier posts here on SR talk about.

I appreciate your efforts at sobriety Karate. You have the want to quit, and you have an open mind to stay quit. I think your asking the right questions too. What I suggest to be helpful is to make your quit an event that is separated from how you choose to live your sober life. Detach yourself from conditions on your quit. Don't quit for good fortune or from bad consequences. Don't quit for better feelings, better mindset... etc....

It may seem difficult or a bit senseless to isolate your last quit from your present life and future choices, but I do suggest it is really worth every effort you can manage to keep your quit unconditional and detached from your sober lifestyle choices.

Thanks for the question and your comments Karate.
Thanks for the reply .

I am reallyfeeling pretty good , first week or 2 were total crap with a cold and back issues .

I used to drink when I felt good ,Now I don't want to wreck feeling good for a whole day ,for a buzz that only will last an hour .

Just not willing to make that trade these days .

I hope that is enough to power through .

And alcohol WRECKS my sleep ,I always wake up hot when I drink .

I read alcohol disrupts REM sleep ,and disrupts your body's temp. regulating .
I know that to be true ,in my case at least