Notices

So I'm new here

Old 04-16-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy So I'm new here

I don't even know how many times I've told myself I need to tone down my drinking, but now I'm starting to think that is a problem. I never considered myself an alcoholic because I don't constantly need to drink; sometimes I even go weeks without drinking.. but when I do, I drink a lot. Even when I don't plan on drinking a lot, after I get a buzz I just want more of a buzz so I will just not stop. Then the next day I am always filled with so much regret and embarrassment, and I am usually even more depressed after.

Last week I got really drunk 3 times, and this just drinking by myself. On thursday I got really depressed so I decided to start drinking (which is usually how all my nights of drinking start). Well let's just say I ended up going to the bars alone (I walked there and I'm a female) completely hammered cause I wanted to party. ended up drunk calling people in some bars bathroom and no one would answer. I don't even remember coming home that night. The next morning I couldn't believe I did something so stupid. I know it's not the worst thing I could've done, but I don't doubt that worse things will start happening if I don't stop.

Like I said, I don't usually drink that often. I know I need to accept that I have a problem, but I'm not sure if I necessarily do or if I'm just a college student. I'm just confused.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR Lalau.

Binge drinkers can be Alcoholics, the same as 24/7 drinkers.

If you cannot guarantee your behaviour when you drink,you probably have a problem.

Have you thought of staying sober and see how you get on?

Wishing you well.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Originally Posted by Lalau View Post
I don't even know how many times I've told myself I need to tone down my drinking, but now I'm starting to think that is a problem. I never considered myself an alcoholic because I don't constantly need to drink; sometimes I even go weeks without drinking.. but when I do, I drink a lot. Even when I don't plan on drinking a lot, after I get a buzz I just want more of a buzz so I will just not stop. Then the next day I am always filled with so much regret and embarrassment, and I am usually even more depressed after.

Last week I got really drunk 3 times, and this just drinking by myself. On thursday I got really depressed so I decided to start drinking (which is usually how all my nights of drinking start). Well let's just say I ended up going to the bars alone (I walked there and I'm a female) completely hammered cause I wanted to party. ended up drunk calling people in some bars bathroom and no one would answer. I don't even remember coming home that night. The next morning I couldn't believe I did something so stupid. I know it's not the worst thing I could've done, but I don't doubt that worse things will start happening if I don't stop.

Like I said, I don't usually drink that often. I know I need to accept that I have a problem, but I'm not sure if I necessarily do or if I'm just a college student. I'm just confused.
Binge drinking is so common especially amongst younger people but it is just as serious, I congratulate you on wanting to make a life change, I know so many people who think drinking in mass volumes is the norm and don't want to change their ways so it's really encouraging that you want to change.

Wishing you all the best.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sr. I came here two days ago because of the same reasons as you. Doesn't sound like a fun night you had there. I wish you good luck.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Welcome to SR Lalau.

Binge drinkers can be Alcoholics, the same as 24/7 drinkers.

If you cannot guarantee your behaviour when you drink,you probably have a problem.

Have you thought of staying sober and see how you get on?

Wishing you well.
I've been sober since that night, even said no to a glass of wine with the family. I know I've been sober for months at a time before, but usually I'll start drinking again due to it being such a social norm (Just not to the extent I do! lol)

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Old 04-16-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Some people grow out of that stage in their life, and some keep progressing. I took about 15 years off after college, but when life started throwing punches at me, I returned to my old habits and its been on and off, with a steady deterioration the last 12 years of trying to moderate, just binging on the weekends, then trying to only do a couple week nights, and so forth. I believe you are wise to be concerned about your drinking. Good luck, post back and let us know how you are doing. There is a lot of support and information here.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lalau.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us Lalau.

It's not how often we drink, but what it does to us when we do. I once drank the same way you do - but as an older person I ended up completely dependent on it. It's smart to be taking a hard look at what it does to you - I'm happy you found us - hope it helps.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. It's good to see you have insight regarding your drinking. Good accurate things said above which may fit.
I'll add that if you have problems resulting from alcohol most things will probably get worse if you continue to drink because alcoholism is a progressive situation and only gets better when it's not consumed. A true expression is "the first drink gets us drunk."

BE WELL
Old 04-17-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lalau

D
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum lalau