Notices

Here I am.....again....sigh

Old 04-10-2014, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I am.....again....sigh

Not sure what to do or where to go at the moment. Been drinking daily, again, since December. I don't black out, I don't need to drink in the morning, at work or at social settings; I don't feel guilty the next day, just worried about the damage I am doing to my mental and physical health. I am OK during the day and always think that I will not drink in the evening, but when the evening comes....same old, same old.

After much investigation, I have come to the conclusion (at 53!) that I have ADHD and have had it since a kid. I have a hectic day with a 2 hour commute (gives me lots of physical and visual stimulus), a full-on job (hyperfocus) in a noisy office (audio stimulus), go to the gym (more physical stimulus), but then when I get home......aaarrrggh! I also get up early 'eager' to get going to give my ADHD brain the stimulus it craves. In the evening I cannot focus on TV or read, brain is far too 'fidgity' to focus on anything like that. That is why I drink. I have been like this throughout my life.

OK, so it's good that I have figured out why I do it; however, I am aware that people with ADHD are 10 times more likely to become alcoholics. Figures! I am addicted to the 'cotton wool' feel I get from it. However, I do not know what to do to stop it! Stupid brain!

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do not want to drink tonight!
Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bagda. I'm afraid I have no ADHD experience.
Maybe talking it over with your Dr could be a step in the right direction?

D
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would go quickly to an AA meeting, keep going, listen, get a sponsor, work the steps and recover from alcoholism so you can enjoy the rest of your life.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks both. I am now thinking that the GP might be the best option for me. Have tried counselling and AA, but neither helped me to stop for anything longer than a few months.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

"I don't black out, I don't need to drink in the morning, at work or at social settings; I don't feel guilty the next day, just worried about the damage I am doing to my mental and physical health. I am OK during the day"

sounds like you just aren't done drinking.

Here's something I did and I quit at age 50-- "and always think that I will not drink in the evening, but when the evening comes....same old, same old." I couldn't fathom NOT drinking until I did quit and life became so much better!

My alcoholism is NOT being able to live without drinking.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

ADHD, anxiety, depression, boredom, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and many others...all reasons some people give for their drinking, their alcoholism.

The solution's the same. Quit.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like quite the battle that commute to work and back everyday must take a toll on you. At least your still commited to going to the gym and staying healthy! Maybe counseling will help or going to a few meetings here and their I'm sure you've tried both in the past but it never hurts to try new things. Keep fighting and you will be on the right track soon.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The gym is much better now that I don't drink. Everything is.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badga View Post
Not sure what to do or where to go at the moment. Been drinking daily, again, since December. I don't black out, I don't need to drink in the morning, at work or at social settings; I don't feel guilty the next day, just worried about the damage I am doing to my mental and physical health. I am OK during the day and always think that I will not drink in the evening, but when the evening comes....same old, same old. After much investigation, I have come to the conclusion (at 53!) that I have ADHD and have had it since a kid. I have a hectic day with a 2 hour commute (gives me lots of physical and visual stimulus), a full-on job (hyperfocus) in a noisy office (audio stimulus), go to the gym (more physical stimulus), but then when I get home......aaarrrggh! I also get up early 'eager' to get going to give my ADHD brain the stimulus it craves. In the evening I cannot focus on TV or read, brain is far too 'fidgity' to focus on anything like that. That is why I drink. I have been like this throughout my life. OK, so it's good that I have figured out why I do it; however, I am aware that people with ADHD are 10 times more likely to become alcoholics. Figures! I am addicted to the 'cotton wool' feel I get from it. However, I do not know what to do to stop it! Stupid brain! Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do not want to drink tonight!
If you drink because you have ADHD, just treat the ADHD and you're problems are over. If you drink because you are alcoholic, then you might want to explore another method. I use aa. There are other people who do other things. Find ehat works for you.