Notices

Alcohol-ISM.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Alcohol-ISM.

I learned long ago that my disease/illness is called alcohol-ISM, the alcohol being but at symptom. That made me, in my drinking days, now some six years past.A day at a time, no room for complacency.

Bringing me to understand that the ISM's, exist in life in life itself, with all it's' faults, frailties and glory.

Perhaps best described as being like those little arrows, that fly through the atmosphere, and with no set target, hit all of us, often without warning e.g.you miss the 'bus to work, the car breaks down, your partner finishes your relationship, for whatever reason, etc., etc. the list is endless

Which in my delusional drinking days, I though were all deliberately target at me!

In prolonged sobriety, accompanied and enhanced, in my case by the gift of spirituality.

Something which cannot be taught, other than by creating the environment by which you learn. A bit like learning to use the bathroom from an early age. No one can do it for you!

I realized that these arrows, that I refer to as the -ISM's struck everyone, from time to time and were not deliberately targeted at me or anyone else.

To think otherwise and worst still, to drink on that thought was a perfect example of both my mind and my disease, running riot!

I'm now quite happy dealing with the -ISM's, some times it's even fun! A day at a time.

Leaving the alcohol to deal with it's own -ISM's. I'm sure it has some, but I don't want to be the one to find out!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

just a honest question? where do you learn all this stuff?
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

What are ISMs? It it anything more than a cute acronym for a self-centered psychologically immature point of view? I see it bandied about here now and then.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let's say it's not ALCOHOL WAS ISM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

x
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah the "ISM", never really understood why people say it. Probably just a catch phrase people hear in the rooms then start spreading it. There is most likely an acronym for it, I can see it now. First word would definately be "I". Cokeism, Marjuanaism, Heoinism, Cigaretteism, Gamblingism, Workaholism. In the end it doesnt matter at all what "it" is, whether its alcoholism, cocaine, heroin, gambling, sex, workaholic. I had to change everything I ever thought.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ism,,, I ,, self ,, me.
This is what I was told it meant a while back. Meaning,, the alcoholic is extremely self centred and needed a programme to address this,, if you quit drinking without a programme you are still left with the ism"s.
Ummm,,
Old 04-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This thread confuses the hell out of me
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Here's what I found on the innerweb and what I have heard in the rooms of AA.

Alcohol-ISM: I, Self, Me - I Sponsor Myself - Internal Spiritual Malady (or Maladjustment) - Incredibly Short Memory - InSide Me - I Sabotage Myself.

Hope this helps .
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thats cool PhaseTwo, Just keep coming back. Dont quit until the miracle happens. I cant think of any more common AA slogans.

I will say this very lighly, and in good hearted nature, trying to do good and inform people.

Just because its said in a room of AA, doesnt mean that it is right or correct.
I learned that one many moons ago. I was told by my first sponsor that I, ME, MYSELF had to become the expert on my disease.

Those are very good acronyms Zencat. I am trying to think of the ones for FEAR, but they escape my mind, now. F everything and Run, or the other one is Faith Everything and Recover. I had that F-it attitude for the longest time.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The ISM is I, Self, Me.

An addiction counselor I saw ages ago used the phrase to explain that when alcohol is removed you are sill left with the ISM. So in the case of alcoholism if you abstain you are left with the original problem you had which caused you to start using alcohol in the first place, the ISM.

contrary to popular belief you don't just stop drinking and everything gets magically better, there is some effort involved beyond an imaginary battle between you and alcohol. I say imaginary because the battle is actually between you and you, there is no imaginary voice in your head telling you to drink either, that is you too!

Does that clear things up:-)
Old 04-10-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by PhaseTwo View Post
This thread confuses the hell out of me
I'm not surprised. These are just catchy little phrases that help get the message across, nothing more. They come from individuals or rehabs, but are not written into the AA program.

I quite like "Internal Spritual Malady". It fits me well, and fits in with the spirtual malady described in the big book.

Incredibly Short Memory fits well too "We have no effective mental defense against the first drink." The memory of the humiliation of even a week or a month ago does not come to mind" See the connection?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Redmayne View Post
To think otherwise and worst still, to drink on that thought was a perfect example of both my mind and my disease, running riot!
Oh yeah REdmayne I've never heard it put that way but this has been me all over, drinking over all my issues was a favourite (but destructive) past time!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
The ISM is I, Self, Me.

An addiction counselor I saw ages ago used the phrase to explain that when alcohol is removed you are sill left with the ISM. So in the case of alcoholism if you abstain you are left with the original problem you had which caused you to start using alcohol in the first place, the ISM.

contrary to popular belief you don't just stop drinking and everything gets magically better, there is some effort involved beyond an imaginary battle between you and alcohol. I say imaginary because the battle is actually between you and you, there is no imaginary voice in your head telling you to drink either, that is you too!

Does that clear things up:-)
Great post. Brutal and very true. Thanks for the reality check.