Notices

What month sober did you feel good?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I think it all depends on how much and what kind of work you're putting into your sobriety. Putting down the drink is only the first step and, for many people, the easiest one.
How much work your putting into life itself! I felt great physically and mentally within a weeks time. But I had a lot going for me already. Something I never noticed or was grateful for when drinking. Be well.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post
...i have no energy, oversleeping, fuzzy, foggy head, feel like I'm in a dream.....not normal for a 27 year old!
Maybe it's not drinking/recovery related at all. Have you talked with a doctor about this?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

18 months in and at almost 36 months now, things keep getting clearer and better....
Old 04-07-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Maybe it's not drinking/recovery related at all. Have you talked with a doctor about this?
Yeah...I think its time for a visit to doctors for a check up.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Hi guys, one of the main reasons I quit drinking was because unless I was drinking I felt like crap, I quit drinking because I wanted to feel my age (male in my mid twenties), should be in the prime of my life, I said to myself I'm too young to feel this old....I remember I quit drinking years ago and after 2 weeks I felt great! Full of energy, positive outlook on life etc, but back then I wasn't an everyday drinker.

I got drunk everyday for 2 years to get to this point, at 1 month sober I felt rubbish so I thought to myself wait to 2 months, I'll feel better then, then at 2 months sober I said wait to 3 months......, but I'm now almost 100 days sober and I still feel rubbish...I feel no better from not drinking?

Now I'm thinking this is no longer withdrawal, this is just me....

At what month sober did you feel the physical, mental benefits?

I don't know how much longer I should wait to expect any improvements?

Thanks in advance.

You hit the nail on the head there, "feeling normal" what is normal? For me normal was getting drunk and going to bed so I'm just running with what I have found normal to be since kicking the habit. What I will say is that I cannot remember ever having a cold, I had a head cold about 2 months ago, and now I have a chest cold, the alcohol must numb so many things. Try not to dwell on feeling bad all the time you will only convince yourself that you do, if you imagine pain for long enough you may well just feel it.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah I would definitely go to the doctor just for the checkup...when I got sick with diarrhea 9 days after I quit drinking and panic attacks I went to the doctor immediately because I had no knowledge of alcohol withdrawal and didn't even mention it to him because I didn't even correlate it to quitting drinking and since I had so many symptoms I've been to a GI doc a cardiologist and neurologist
Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I haven't been doing anything besides walking my dog 3 times aday everyday, more to the point I don't won't to do anything...it isn't a boredom problem.....i have no energy, oversleeping, fuzzy, foggy head, feel like I'm in a dream.....not normal for a 27 year old!
But probably more normal than you think for those who have poisoned themselves for several years. I still get that feeling. I am fighting it. I have discovered that if I just lay around then I just lay around. Some days I don't feel motivated at all. Some days I get into my 'drunk' routine and start doing things late at night. I am still in "training" so-to-speak. But every day I feel something wanting to break out. Maybe two warm days in a row would help me?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

2 years 3 months sober , have good days have bad days but a million times better than being in the drinking hangover anxiety dark thoughts cycle.

Been like this from about 18 months , before that had to grind out some tough periods , come to the conclusion early on staring at wall for 24 hrs is better than being in the prison of alcoHELL.

Grind it .
Old 04-07-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I started feeling comfortable in my sobriety around three months or so. Still had some bad days, but was content to get thru them sober.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
But probably more normal than you think for those who have poisoned themselves for several years. I still get that feeling. I am fighting it. I have discovered that if I just lay around then I just lay around. Some days I don't feel motivated at all. Some days I get into my 'drunk' routine and start doing things late at night. I am still in "training" so-to-speak. But every day I feel something wanting to break out. Maybe two warm days in a row would help me?
I guess it is...lol. For me it was because I quit alcohol hundreds of times before when I wasn't a heavy drinker, 2 weeks and I'm enjoying it, this is proper big boy territory at 3 months still feeling like its my first month still, but this is because I got drunk everyday for 2 years, like you said I have poisoned my body and its going to take longer than 3 months to feel good again.

But I'm just going to accept to am going to feel "off" for awhile to come, just roll with..
Old 04-07-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi guys, one of the main reasons I quit drinking was because unless I was drinking I felt like crap, I quit drinking because I wanted to feel my age (male in my mid twenties), should be in the prime of my life, I said to myself I'm too young to feel this old....I remember I quit drinking years ago and after 2 weeks I felt great! Full of energy, positive outlook on life etc, but back then I wasn't an everyday drinker.

I got drunk everyday for 2 years to get to this point, at 1 month sober I felt rubbish so I thought to myself wait to 2 months, I'll feel better then, then at 2 months sober I said wait to 3 months......, but I'm now almost 100 days sober and I still feel rubbish...I feel no better from not drinking?

At what month sober did you feel the physical, mental benefits?

I don't know how much longer I should wait to expect any improvements?

Thanks in advance.
I'm on day 49 and i am just BARELY starting to feel the physical benefits, i have begun to be able to sleep on my own without sleeping pills. My blood pressure is normal, and i smell better.

Mental benefits have yet to show....... my memory has been coming back to me a lot, but that's about it. I still feel fairly stressed out and depressed regarding other aspects of my life. Frankly at this point i think its safe to say i am "out of range" of the withdrawal symptoms, so im pretty sure the reason i dont feel like i would like to mentally is because "its just me". If it were say, week 2, then you could say "its the body detoxing".......... at day 49? its me, through the process of elimination.

I look forward to more benefits
Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
zjw

I only felt a tiny bit better barely noticeable one day to the next. It was hard for me to tell if i felt better unless I looked back say 30 days or more and really think about it. That being said i just read something i wrote 3 months in and realized i was a total mental case at that point still. If i recall I think i started to turn the corner some around 6 months. A year was a big milestone.

But yes part of it is just you. Gotta figure out whats up with your outlook along the way and adjust it. For example at almost 3 years I still have anxiety tho not so bad. I stil get really angry too. I know I have to watch it in both of these areas. I cant dive into things that might make me anxious IE I cant bite off more then I can chew. and I have to try and stop myself before my anger spirals out of control ruins my day and leaves me horribly depressed etc.. (notice i didnt say that i ever ponder getting a drink when this happens I'm past that for the most part at this point).

Do you feel better then you did 10 days ago? 30 days ago? If you feel physically sluggish maybe exercise or somehting get the blood flowing etc..