Notices

What month sober did you feel good?

Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What month sober did you feel good?

Hi guys, one of the main reasons I quit drinking was because unless I was drinking I felt like crap, I quit drinking because I wanted to feel my age (male in my mid twenties), should be in the prime of my life, I said to myself I'm too young to feel this old....I remember I quit drinking years ago and after 2 weeks I felt great! Full of energy, positive outlook on life etc, but back then I wasn't an everyday drinker.

I got drunk everyday for 2 years to get to this point, at 1 month sober I felt rubbish so I thought to myself wait to 2 months, I'll feel better then, then at 2 months sober I said wait to 3 months......, but I'm now almost 100 days sober and I still feel rubbish...I feel no better from not drinking?

Now I'm thinking this is no longer withdrawal, this is just me....

At what month sober did you feel the physical, mental benefits?

I don't know how much longer I should wait to expect any improvements?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. I have 100 days tomorrow. And I didn't get drunk every day.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I'm right there with you. I have 100 days tomorrow. And I didn't get drunk every day.
How do you feel LBrain?
Old 04-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean, I've gotten a few months sober and still never felt that great. I realized it was probably just me too. Kind of depressing, and I ended up going back out. Just means I had to work on myself, which I didn't know how or want to do. That's the only way out, I think.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There's a lot of factors at play. It takes time to undo the damage we did, but just not drinking doesn't fix everything. Getting enough sleep, eating well and excercise are all part of the equation. I started feeling mentally better at about 3 months or so, but I'm well into my second sober year and still have days where I need to work on that.

You are doing great...just keep at it and maybe see your doc for a checkup if you think you could use it.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Scott. Get a check up and make sure other areas of your life, aside from not drinking, are in line with being healthy.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

It ebbed and flows. The first few weeks were great - then things got a bit tough . Then they'd get really good again, then there would be periods of difficulty.

6 months later, I think I might finally be on the mend for good.

No matter what, it's worth it.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AS1, After 90 days I was in a funk. The previous few weeks I was down and feeling lethargic. Lately tho things are looking better. I got my interest in life back. Spending time outside has helped tremendously. I've been starting to go to bed at a normal time and waking up in the morning instead of sleeping until 10/11. I still get distracted but I'm getting much better at starting things and working them. Sex drive is back to normal, that wasn't even a thought a month ago. Other than that just trudging along. But feeling better every day for sure.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

I think it all depends on how much and what kind of work you're putting into your sobriety. Putting down the drink is only the first step and, for many people, the easiest one.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I find working out, meditating and going for walks help me feel better. Not thinking of the past all the time but thinking of what I'm doing now and looking forward to the future is good too.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I don't know how you feel, but if you drank to feel "good" and are thinking that drinking now will make you feel better than you do, then I suspect your addiction is working overtime to make you feel rubbish, or making your expectations such that you rather drink than be sober.

We alcoholics are used to instant gratification. Recovery (you'll notice I didn't say sobriety) doesn't work on a drinker's schedule.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everytime you go back out there does more damage, and each time you quit it will take longer to feel normal again.

I went back out because I felt like crap in early recovery, and it took me almost a year to get better. I'm still having issues a year and a half plus later. Best thing is to hang in there. Typically three months is a rough spot, and you'll start feeling better all the time. Don't reset the clock by convincing yourself that you feel like crap anyways. The first hangover back is unbelievable.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I keep convincing myself I will start to feel better soon, just give it another month....

Hopefully this is my peak of feeling rubbish...lol, 4 months onwards I will start feeling better.

DoubleBarrel, your so right about it taking longer and longer to feel better the longer you drink, oh well....maybe next month I will feel better...ROFL!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

realizing that yes

Originally Posted by AlwaysSober1 View Post

Now I'm thinking this is no longer withdrawal, this is just me....
been a while -- 6 years sober now
but
from looking back
at the 3 to 6 month mark things started to be
so much better
realizing that yes
the sober life is for sure the best life
not only for me but also for all friends and family around me

MM
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks mountainmanbob, congrats on 6 years!!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Physical exercise is a good way to get past it all.

I wasn't an everyday drinker, but I couldn't imagine getting through it all without working out
Old 04-07-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

What else have you changed besides the drinking?

There's a lot more to recovery than putting down the drink. If you are just sitting around, waiting to feel "good" they it may be a long wait. Do stuff that makes you feel good about yourself. Take an active role in how you are living and how you feel about it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

6 months was a turning point. I was and am putting a ton of effort into my recovery - therapy once a week, meditation 2x per day, AA step work, 1 AA meeting per week, reading books on the topic all the time. Journaling.

I still have my bad days and thoughts. But I felt developing faith in my program and HP, which occurred around 6 months was the major turning point.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The first week that I began to abstain from alcohol I just relaxed and played a lot of video games. I didn't spend time faulting myself for not suddenly becoming a hypothetical Superman.

One week in, I went back to the gym and stayed consistent with it. With this consistency I began to feel confident about myself again. It does sound superficial when I think about it, but it helped me become a much kinder person to others, and myself.

Working out and binge drinking are not two behaviors that I could easily engage in at the same time. The feeling of getting and feeling healthier would quickly override the wanting to drink for me. I look forward to going for a run today. I'm sure that later this evening I will look forward to running and weight lifting tomorrow.

Looking back at everything, I feel good about my entire experience with sobriety.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
What else have you changed besides the drinking?

There's a lot more to recovery than putting down the drink. If you are just sitting around, waiting to feel "good" they it may be a long wait. Do stuff that makes you feel good about yourself. Take an active role in how you are living and how you feel about it.
I haven't been doing anything besides walking my dog 3 times aday everyday, more to the point I don't won't to do anything...it isn't a boredom problem.....i have no energy, oversleeping, fuzzy, foggy head, feel like I'm in a dream.....not normal for a 27 year old!