Notices

Just my observation

Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just my observation

So right now I'm waiting for a lift...I got cold standing outside so I popped across the road to the local hotel for a coffee and some chocolate. Headed into the bar to sit by the fire and wait with my coffee. Pulled out a magazine...but there is a football game on the telly. Out of the six other tables that are taken up...only two of them appear to be drinking pints of beer. One man next to me has a pint of what looks like ribena. The two college students on my other side have glasses of water

When I was drinking I used to tell myself that EVERY ONE drank and I NEEDED to drink. I was deluded...
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great point!! . . . there is soo much perspective to be gained through Sober eyes!!
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So very true. It's like if you get a new car you notice them all over the place. I have noticed a lot of folks not drinking. I guess you are or your environment is what you make of it.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
So right now I'm waiting for a lift...I got cold standing outside so I popped across the road to the local hotel for a coffee and some chocolate. Headed into the bar to sit by the fire and wait with my coffee. Pulled out a magazine...but there is a football game on the telly. Out of the six other tables that are taken up...only two of them appear to be drinking pints of beer. One man next to me has a pint of what looks like ribena. The two college students on my other side have glasses of water

When I was drinking I used to tell myself that EVERY ONE drank and I NEEDED to drink. I was deluded...
Yes, our thinking. Thats what needs to change.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've definitely noticed that too. One of my self made obstacles to remaining sober was the fact that I was worried about sitting in a restaurant or other place they served alcohol and being the only one there with a diet coke. Now, when I look around, I see many people not imbibing.... Such a relief!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yep. Also if I saw someone in a place like that drinking what appeared to be water. I just KNEW they were spiking it with something. They had a bottle hidden somewhere.
My mind is far from perfect right now. But it's hard for me to believe the perception I had on things like that. I was really messed up,and actually had no clue just how bad it was.

Fred
Old 04-03-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Funny, isn't it? I used to think that when we were drinking, everyone was drinking like me. Now I see that people nurse their drinks (and I don't understand that even a little).
Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yup, I also managed to observe that. Folks not drinking at all, leaving unfinished bottles of wine or glasses,etc. I used to think that something was wrong with them....turns out something was wrong with me.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dfwtrader View Post
So very true. It's like if you get a new car you notice them all over the place. I have noticed a lot of folks not drinking. I guess you are or your environment is what you make of it.
I was gonna say the same thing but dfwtrader already stole it from me

it is amazing how our minds work sometimes. I also noticed tonight that I'm not the only who fills my cup with water instead of coffee at meetings.